Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP Backup Wizard Question

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 15, 2005 5:49:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Instead of buying an expensive HD backup program, what is lacking in
Windows XP's own backup wizard plus system recovery disk?

Will not these utilities recover my entire OS as it was, including all
my programs and data?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 16, 2005 9:07:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<joed@guess.where> wrote in message
news:9q2061pgmopggsh7b8joaasofgcrlbi2ad@4ax.com...

> Instead of buying an expensive HD backup program, what is lacking
> in Windows XP's own backup wizard plus system recovery disk?

The main lacks are with stuff like direct burning to CD and DVD
burners and some of the more exotic backup destinations. Lacks
browsing in the backup if you want to extract just a file or two.

Weak on specifying the backup of a subset of files and have that
subset specification saved and scheduled for repeated backups.
I think that is rather dangerous, so I dont think the lack of it
matters much, but some may feel otherwise, particularly if you
have a specific need to backup just some stuff at a high rate
and say do a more general backup at a lower frequency.

> Will not these utilities recover my entire OS
> as it was, including all my programs and data?

Yes it will, its just a bit cruder in some areas, particularly
on the support for some types of backup destination.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 16, 2005 9:07:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 05:07:06 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>
><joed@guess.where> wrote in message
>news:9q2061pgmopggsh7b8joaasofgcrlbi2ad@4ax.com...
>
>> Instead of buying an expensive HD backup program, what is lacking
>> in Windows XP's own backup wizard plus system recovery disk?
>
>The main lacks are with stuff like direct burning to CD and DVD
>burners and some of the more exotic backup destinations. Lacks
>browsing in the backup if you want to extract just a file or two.
>
>Weak on specifying the backup of a subset of files and have that
>subset specification saved and scheduled for repeated backups.
>I think that is rather dangerous, so I dont think the lack of it
>matters much, but some may feel otherwise, particularly if you
>have a specific need to backup just some stuff at a high rate
>and say do a more general backup at a lower frequency.
>
>> Will not these utilities recover my entire OS
>> as it was, including all my programs and data?
>
>Yes it will, its just a bit cruder in some areas, particularly
>on the support for some types of backup destination.
>

I think I'll stick with XP's methods. I like the price. :) 

I just found out about and used the ASR backup w/boot disk option. (XP
is brand new to me.)

What I'm mainly worried about is losing *everything* in a disk crash.

I do have some other program which will back up my data files and
allow quick access.

Thanks for answering.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 16, 2005 11:47:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<joed@guess.where> wrote in message
news:g7a0611hqaok7kng8allfk1047gqctbtak@4ax.com...
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> <joed@guess.where> wrote

>>> Instead of buying an expensive HD backup program, what is lacking
>>> in Windows XP's own backup wizard plus system recovery disk?

>> The main lacks are with stuff like direct burning to CD and DVD
>> burners and some of the more exotic backup destinations. Lacks
>> browsing in the backup if you want to extract just a file or two.

>> Weak on specifying the backup of a subset of files and have that
>> subset specification saved and scheduled for repeated backups.
>> I think that is rather dangerous, so I dont think the lack of it
>> matters much, but some may feel otherwise, particularly if you
>> have a specific need to backup just some stuff at a high rate
>> and say do a more general backup at a lower frequency.

>>> Will not these utilities recover my entire OS
>>> as it was, including all my programs and data?

>> Yes it will, its just a bit cruder in some areas, particularly
>> on the support for some types of backup destination.

> I think I'll stick with XP's methods. I like the price. :) 

Yeah, and I meant to say that the lack of output device support
isnt necessarily that big a deal, I dont normally write directly to
a DVD burner myself with backups, because its a nuisance to
have to sit there changing the blanks when a fresh one is needed.

I dont actually use the browse of the backup much at all either,
basically because with the stuff I do want to step back a version
with I actually keep the backups on the hard drive with a
completely separate backup mechanism of my own too.

> I just found out about and used the ASR backup
> w/boot disk option. (XP is brand new to me.)

> What I'm mainly worried about is losing *everything* in a disk crash.

> I do have some other program which will
> back up my data files and allow quick access.

> Thanks for answering.

No problem, its one of those things well worth
discussing, tad late to find out once the hard drive
dies the downsides with some approaches to backup.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 16, 2005 11:47:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 07:47:23 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>
><joed@guess.where> wrote in message

snipped

>No problem, its one of those things well worth
>discussing, tad late to find out once the hard drive
>dies the downsides with some approaches to backup.
>

I learned a hard lesson once. My C: drive went down on a Saturday. No
problem. I had everything backed up with Drive Image to the D: drive.
Not wanting to fight the Sunday crowd at Best Buy, I planned to wait
until Monday to replace the C:

Sunday night my D: drive crashed - with *everything* on it. About 3
years of stuff GONE!

Moral of the story: Never wait until Monday. : )
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 16, 2005 12:52:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<joed@guess.where> wrote in message
news:rce061tkt01iu78bqljt6gkpgh6vs5r31f@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 07:47:23 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>><joed@guess.where> wrote in message
>
> snipped
>
>>No problem, its one of those things well worth
>>discussing, tad late to find out once the hard drive
>>dies the downsides with some approaches to backup.
>>
>
> I learned a hard lesson once. My C: drive went down on a Saturday. No
> problem. I had everything backed up with Drive Image to the D: drive.
> Not wanting to fight the Sunday crowd at Best Buy, I planned to wait
> until Monday to replace the C:
>
> Sunday night my D: drive crashed - with *everything* on it. About 3
> years of stuff GONE!
>
> Moral of the story: Never wait until Monday. : )

Or never rely on just one backup, anyway.

I always have more than one for the stuff that is
irreplaceable and not on the same media either.
!