USB or Firewire?

I bought a Maxtor 300Gig external drive. I have a choice of hooking it
up via Firewire or USB.

What is the difference?

I'm using a 3gig Pent 4 Dell machine.
4 answers Last reply
More about firewire

    Previously joed@guess.where wrote:
    > I bought a Maxtor 300Gig external drive. I have a choice of hooking it
    > up via Firewire or USB.

    > What is the difference?

    > I'm using a 3gig Pent 4 Dell machine.

    In my erperience FireWire is more reliable, but that may be specific
    to the equipment I tried (different from yours on both sides).

    In principle you should be able to switch to the other option without
    data loss (both use the SCSI disk command set on the higher layers
    of their protocol stack) if you have problems with one option.
    Maybe you should try that as long as you do not have much data on
    it.

    Arno

    On 17 Apr 2005 01:39:14 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Previously joed@guess.where wrote:
    >> I bought a Maxtor 300Gig external drive. I have a choice of hooking it
    >> up via Firewire or USB.
    >
    >> What is the difference?
    >
    >> I'm using a 3gig Pent 4 Dell machine.
    >
    >In my erperience FireWire is more reliable, but that may be specific
    >to the equipment I tried (different from yours on both sides).
    >
    >In principle you should be able to switch to the other option without
    >data loss (both use the SCSI disk command set on the higher layers
    >of their protocol stack) if you have problems with one option.
    >Maybe you should try that as long as you do not have much data on
    >it.
    >
    >Arno

    I've had enough problems with my recent old comp. That's why I got
    this new one. I'll stick with USB.

    Protocol stack? Is that a monthly or bi-monthly publication? : )

    Thanks for answering.

    <joed@guess.where> wrote in message

    > I bought a Maxtor 300Gig external drive. I have
    > a choice of hooking it up via Firewire or USB.

    > What is the difference?

    Firewire is a tad faster because there is less protocol overhead.

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > In my erperience FireWire is more reliable, but that may be specific
    > to the equipment I tried (different from yours on both sides).

    I agree. I don't know why but I have never had a USB HD that was 100%
    reliable, and I have used several different brands of interface (which may
    all use the same chip, I have not looked that far into it) and on several
    different PCs. Firewire HD interface seems to be perfect but I have not had
    nearly as much experience with them.

    --Dan

Firewire USB Storage