Error and System Lock Up When Opening Up Folder With Video..

September 22, 2004 4:31:13 PM

I am having trouble everytime I open one of four different folders that have
several video files in them. The system locks up and says Exploerer needs to
close or it locks up and says Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger has encountered
an error and tries to send an error report. It is just normal Mpegs and WM
files. Can anyone help me? How do I get to view the results of an error
report to see what is going on. THis thing keeps crashing everytime I try to
view my files. I have folder options set to Video to view thumbnails. Any
help would be appreciated.

Jeff
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:21:37 PM

I too am having this problem, as a video editor by trade
this is becoming very frustrating. Sometimes I don't get
the error at all and other times I can't even copy a file
without triggering the explorer re-start. I've had this
issue on 3 different PC's now, none with anything in
common so I'm convinced it is NOT a codec issue or driver
related - but rather something to do with the way that
Windows handles MPEG2 preview in thumbnail view. One
workaround I've found is to change the folders in
question to List view.

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 7:19:01 PM

"RussianFront1941" wrote:

> I am having trouble everytime I open one of four different folders that have
> several video files in them. The system locks up and says Exploerer needs to
> close or it locks up and says Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger has encountered
> an error and tries to send an error report. It is just normal Mpegs and WM
> files. Can anyone help me? How do I get to view the results of an error
> report to see what is going on. THis thing keeps crashing everytime I try to
> view my files. I have folder options set to Video to view thumbnails. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Jeff

ok
im having exactly the same problem here after i installed sp2, before
everything worked nice
ive searched the internet and found some solutions
the only wich gave me results was:
start menu>run>cmd>regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
this will uninstall the windows component wich use thumbnails for video
so after u reboot i will no longer view thumbnails for video, but u wont
have this problem anymore, and ur explorer wont crash
if u want to view thumbs again just use the comand regsvr32 shmedia.dll in
the prompt and restart

but i would aprecciate if someone find a definite solution for the problem,
cause i like to se thumbs of my videos, an i think windows should do that
with no errors
thats it
sorry for my english
!