Error and System Lock Up When Opening Up Folder With Video..

I am having trouble everytime I open one of four different folders that have
several video files in them. The system locks up and says Exploerer needs to
close or it locks up and says Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger has encountered
an error and tries to send an error report. It is just normal Mpegs and WM
files. Can anyone help me? How do I get to view the results of an error
report to see what is going on. THis thing keeps crashing everytime I try to
view my files. I have folder options set to Video to view thumbnails. Any
help would be appreciated.

Jeff
2 answers Last reply
More about error system lock opening folder video

    I too am having this problem, as a video editor by trade
    this is becoming very frustrating. Sometimes I don't get
    the error at all and other times I can't even copy a file
    without triggering the explorer re-start. I've had this
    issue on 3 different PC's now, none with anything in
    common so I'm convinced it is NOT a codec issue or driver
    related - but rather something to do with the way that
    Windows handles MPEG2 preview in thumbnail view. One
    workaround I've found is to change the folders in
    question to List view.

    "RussianFront1941" wrote:

    > I am having trouble everytime I open one of four different folders that have
    > several video files in them. The system locks up and says Exploerer needs to
    > close or it locks up and says Dr. Watson Post Mortem Debugger has encountered
    > an error and tries to send an error report. It is just normal Mpegs and WM
    > files. Can anyone help me? How do I get to view the results of an error
    > report to see what is going on. THis thing keeps crashing everytime I try to
    > view my files. I have folder options set to Video to view thumbnails. Any
    > help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Jeff

    ok
    im having exactly the same problem here after i installed sp2, before
    everything worked nice
    ive searched the internet and found some solutions
    the only wich gave me results was:
    start menu>run>cmd>regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    this will uninstall the windows component wich use thumbnails for video
    so after u reboot i will no longer view thumbnails for video, but u wont
    have this problem anymore, and ur explorer wont crash
    if u want to view thumbs again just use the comand regsvr32 shmedia.dll in
    the prompt and restart

    but i would aprecciate if someone find a definite solution for the problem,
    cause i like to se thumbs of my videos, an i think windows should do that
    with no errors
    thats it
    sorry for my english

Video Microsoft Windows XP