Is there any way to do software mirroring in XP Pro?

I recently put together an XP box at work for video surveillance to catch
the thief who has been stealing stuff from one of our vans. The box was
pieced together and I installed 2 old SCSI drives for a data volume. Up
till now I have always used hardware raid but I thought that XP pro could
mirror drives. Apparently it can only stripe them, you need a server OS for
mirroring.

Does anybody know of any 3rd party utilities or anything else that will let
me mirror 2 drives in XP pro?

In this case it turns out the video software has a provision for 2 data
drives and it will copy the data automatically, but I have some other ideas
that would benefit from cheap software mirroring.

THANKS!
--Dan

dg wrote:

> I recently put together an XP box at work for video surveillance to catch
> the thief who has been stealing stuff from one of our vans. The box was
> pieced together and I installed 2 old SCSI drives for a data volume. Up
> till now I have always used hardware raid but I thought that XP pro could
> mirror drives. Apparently it can only stripe them, you need a server OS
> for mirroring.
>
> Does anybody know of any 3rd party utilities or anything else that will
> let me mirror 2 drives in XP pro?
>
> In this case it turns out the video software has a provision for 2 data
> drives and it will copy the data automatically, but I have some other
> ideas that would benefit from cheap software mirroring.

There's a hack described at
<http://members.home.nl/rvandesanden/raid3.html>. I've never used it so
have no idea if it works or not.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I recently put together an XP box at work for video surveillance
> to catch the thief who has been stealing stuff from one of our
> vans. The box was pieced together and I installed 2 old SCSI
> drives for a data volume. Up till now I have always used hardware
> raid but I thought that XP pro could mirror drives. Apparently
> it can only stripe them, you need a server OS for mirroring.

That's just plain wrong. Put 'mirror' in the help.

> Does anybody know of any 3rd party utilities or anything
> else that will let me mirror 2 drives in XP pro?

Standard XP can do that.

> dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I recently put together an XP box at work for video surveillance
>> to catch the thief who has been stealing stuff from one of our
>> vans. The box was pieced together and I installed 2 old SCSI
>> drives for a data volume. Up till now I have always used hardware
>> raid but I thought that XP pro could mirror drives. Apparently
>> it can only stripe them, you need a server OS for mirroring.
>
> That's just plain wrong. Put 'mirror' in the help.

I respect the fact that you are very knowelgable when it comes to storage,
but I do believe you are incorrect. I always assumed XP would mirror drives
but when I attempted it I could not. The MIRROR option is greyed out. Feel
free to try it yourself, or here is a link that describes the situation:

http://www.petri.co.il/software_mirror_in_windows_xp.htm

In my opinion, this is a marketing move to keep XP from being too robust
(yeah, I think that's a good word to use here).

--Dan

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:iia9e.3235$J12.2683@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3cggttF6ik6gjU1@individual.net...
> > dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5dD8e.153$zX7.18@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> >
> > > I recently put together an XP box at work for video surveillance
> > > to catch the thief who has been stealing stuff from one of our
> > > vans. The box was pieced together and I installed 2 old SCSI
> > > drives for a data volume. Up till now I have always used hardware
> > > raid but I thought that XP pro could mirror drives. Apparently
> > > it can only stripe them, you need a server OS for mirroring.
> >
> > That's just plain wrong. Put 'mirror' in the help.
>
> I respect the fact that you are very

> knowelgable

Yup, he sure is, isn't he.

> when it comes to storage, but I do believe you are incorrect. I always assumed XP would
> mirror drives but when I attempted it I could not. The MIRROR option is greyed out.
> Feel free to try it yourself, or here is a link that describes the situation:
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/software_mirror_in_windows_xp.htm
>
> In my opinion, this is a marketing move to keep XP from being too robust
> (yeah, I think that's a good word to use here).
>
> --Dan

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I recently put together an XP box at work for video surveillance
>>> to catch the thief who has been stealing stuff from one of our
>>> vans. The box was pieced together and I installed 2 old SCSI
>>> drives for a data volume. Up till now I have always used hardware
>>> raid but I thought that XP pro could mirror drives. Apparently
>>> it can only stripe them, you need a server OS for mirroring.
>>
>> That's just plain wrong. Put 'mirror' in the help.

> I respect the fact that you are very knowelgable when it comes to storage, but
> I do believe you are incorrect.

Did you put mirror in the help ?

> I always assumed XP would mirror drives but when I attempted it I could not.
> The MIRROR option is greyed out.

The help explains the situation where that happens.

> Feel free to try it yourself, or here is a link that describes the situation:

> http://www.petri.co.il/software_mirror_in_windows_xp.htm

> In my opinion, this is a marketing move to keep XP from being too robust
> (yeah, I think that's a good word to use here).

Mindless conspiracy theory. Have fun explaining the help.

> Did you put mirror in the help ?

Yes I did type mirror in help, and the result says:

"You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server,
Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server."

Nothing in the help indicates that XP can mirror drives. What am I missing?
Have you successfully mirrored drives on an XP machine using the XP disk
management features?

Thanks,
--Dan

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:21:57 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Did you put mirror in the help ?
>>

>Yes I did type mirror in help, and the result says:
>
> "You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server,
>Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server."
>
>Nothing in the help indicates that XP can mirror drives. What am I missing?
>Have you successfully mirrored drives on an XP machine using the XP disk
>management features?
>
>Thanks,
>--Dan

I don't know about XP mirroring, but I followed a few people's advice
in here and got Acronis True Image. It's fantastic. You can create a
virtual drive of your mirror image and pull from it any file(s) saved
in the image.

It's well worth the $49.

I use XP Pro.

thb@homer.noway wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:21:57 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Did you put mirror in the help ?
>>>

>>Yes I did type mirror in help, and the result says:
>>
>> "You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server,
>>Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server."
>>
>>Nothing in the help indicates that XP can mirror drives. What am I
>>missing? Have you successfully mirrored drives on an XP machine using the
>>XP disk management features?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>--Dan
>>

> I don't know about XP mirroring, but I followed a few people's advice
> in here and got Acronis True Image. It's fantastic. You can create a
> virtual drive of your mirror image and pull from it any file(s) saved
> in the image.
>
> It's well worth the $49.
>
> I use XP Pro.

That's an image, not a mirrored drive. He's talking about RAID-1.

--

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> Did you put mirror in the help ?

> Yes I did type mirror in help, and the result says:

> "You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows
> 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server."

OK, missed that.