Problems with Pocket PC running CE 4.10 (.NET)

May 11, 2004 3:42:14 PM

We want to use a Pocket PC to Remote Desktop into our
server and run an Access application remotely. This works
with older version of CE that use Terminal Services,
however using Remote Desktop, we get an error on the
server that says 'A video adapter resolution of at least
640x480 is required to run MS Access' and then it closes
the connection. It not only happens with Access, but some
other apps also. The resolution on the server is 800x600
and the resolution on the Pocket PC is set to 240x340.
Shouldn't Access detect the resolution of the server, not
the Pocket PC?

Has anyone else ran into an issue like this or possibly
have some suggestions on how to get around it?
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:54:38 AM

"Alvin Burkholder" <aburkholder35@hotmail.com> wrote:

>We want to use a Pocket PC to Remote Desktop into our
>server and run an Access application remotely. This works
>with older version of CE that use Terminal Services,
>however using Remote Desktop, we get an error on the
>server that says 'A video adapter resolution of at least
>640x480 is required to run MS Access' and then it closes
>the connection. It not only happens with Access, but some
>other apps also. The resolution on the server is 800x600
>and the resolution on the Pocket PC is set to 240x340.
>Shouldn't Access detect the resolution of the server, not
>the Pocket PC?
>
>Has anyone else ran into an issue like this or possibly
>have some suggestions on how to get around it?

I'll have to try this. However, the PPC client opens a window at
640X480, which is why you have to scroll around. The resolution of the
server is irrelevant. I could log into your server with my laptop and
it would open a 1024X768 window. TS honors the resolution request of
the client and ignores its own video card settings or capabilities.

No idea why Access is not launching though. What version is it?
May 12, 2004 6:35:52 PM

We have tried it using Access 2000 and XP. It worked using
Access 2000 when opening it from an older version of CE.
The issue came up when we bought a newer pocket pc and it
came loaded with CE .NET (4.1). Basically we are using
these to scan barcodes of products in our warehouse, all
the information is being retrieved from an Access db. If
there is anymore information you need, let me know.

As far as honoring the resolution of the client, the
Pocket PC is using a resolution smaller than 640x480.
Access and other apps are returning error messages saying
they need a resolution of at least 640x480 to run and then
closes out.

Alvin

>Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for
the benefit of all)

!