Samsung HUTIL progress % hangs ?

Last response: in Storage
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
April 18, 2005 3:03:35 AM

Hi,

I have a couple of PC's with samsung 160Gb hard drives. I wanted to
check them for bad sectoros, so made a bootable diskette and put HUTIL
& its cfg file on it.

I booted the first (A Compaq) and the disgnostic tool ran, everything
passed and it did a full surface scan.

The second machine , a dell, the tests past but the surface scan
apeared to freeze at 43.102%. There was disk activity and the spining
line still spun, but no more progress. I left for a while then aborted.

Anyone seen a similar problem ? Perhaps I should have left it running,
I was just concerned at what it might be doing.

I have no system log events that would indicate bad sectors of this
drive.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
April 18, 2005 8:39:16 PM

<jives@uk.oracle.com> wrote in message

> I have a couple of PC's with samsung 160Gb hard drives.
> I wanted to check them for bad sectoros, so made a
> bootable diskette and put HUTIL & its cfg file on it.

> I booted the first (A Compaq) and the disgnostic tool
> ran, everything passed and it did a full surface scan.

> The second machine , a dell, the tests past but the surface scan
> apeared to freeze at 43.102%. There was disk activity and the spining
> line still spun, but no more progress. I left for a while then aborted.

> Anyone seen a similar problem ?

Nope.

> Perhaps I should have left it running,

Yeah, it might have just been retrying on bads.

> I was just concerned at what it might be doing.

> I have no system log events that would
> indicate bad sectors of this drive.

See what the SMART data for the drive shows, using
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
April 21, 2005 2:04:20 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3ch30mF1nhunrU1@individual.net>...
> <jives@uk.oracle.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have a couple of PC's with samsung 160Gb hard drives.
> > I wanted to check them for bad sectoros, so made a
> > bootable diskette and put HUTIL & its cfg file on it.
>
> > I booted the first (A Compaq) and the disgnostic tool
> > ran, everything passed and it did a full surface scan.
>
> > The second machine , a dell, the tests past but the surface scan
> > apeared to freeze at 43.102%. There was disk activity and the spining
> > line still spun, but no more progress. I left for a while then aborted.
>
> > Anyone seen a similar problem ?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Perhaps I should have left it running,
>
> Yeah, it might have just been retrying on bads.

Thanks Rod,

I tried again and this time the PC wouldn't boot from the diskette !?

So , I created a new one and then re-tried HUTIL. This time it ran to
100% no errors, so I guess the only bad media was the diskette I
created HUTIL on !?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
April 22, 2005 8:59:00 AM

"Jonathan Ives" <jives@uk.oracle.com> wrote in message
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> <jives@uk.oracle.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > I have a couple of PC's with samsung 160Gb hard drives.
>> > I wanted to check them for bad sectoros, so made a
>> > bootable diskette and put HUTIL & its cfg file on it.
>>
>> > I booted the first (A Compaq) and the disgnostic tool
>> > ran, everything passed and it did a full surface scan.
>>
>> > The second machine , a dell, the tests past but the surface scan
>> > apeared to freeze at 43.102%. There was disk activity and the spining
>> > line still spun, but no more progress. I left for a while then aborted.
>>
>> > Anyone seen a similar problem ?
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> > Perhaps I should have left it running,
>>
>> Yeah, it might have just been retrying on bads.
>>

> Thanks Rod,
>
> I tried again and this time the PC wouldn't boot from the diskette !?
>
> So , I created a new one and then re-tried HUTIL. This time it ran to
> 100% no errors, so I guess the only bad media was the diskette I
> created HUTIL on !?

Guess that is possible. You'd normally expect that
if it loaded from the floppy it would be fine tho.
!