external USB cases?? can they?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 18, 2005 10:27:08 PM

I am faced with having to connect a standard IDE hard drive to a
machine from the outside. Can an external USB case be used for
this purpose? What about the power to the externally
connected-through USB port IDE hard drive? If so, where can I best
pick up one of these? Won't bore you with the details,
but this involves a data recovery attempt from the hard drive
using a machine I cannot open up, cuz it has the software I need
for the recovery. Thanks for any helpful information. IOW, I need
to be able to access an IDE hardrive from another machine without
opening the case.

More about : external usb cases

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 19, 2005 12:55:06 AM

Neutrino Boy <NeutrinoBoyFAKE@excite.com> wrote in

> Can an external USB case be used for
> this purpose? What about the power to the externally
> connected-through USB port IDE hard drive?

My external USB case has its own PSU built-in, fed by mains power.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 19, 2005 1:52:49 AM

ADS makes a quality external USB2 case with ATA100 interface
for IDE drives. It has a separate power supply, and has a built in
cooling fan. I got it for about $60 at Circuit City. It's great for
formatting, partitioning, or erasing drives without having to
temporarily install them in a PC.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 19, 2005 10:27:55 AM

A C Ryan make a unit for either ATA or SATA that brings connectors and power
out to one of the rear slots. See http://www.acryan.com/_backy/index.shtml.

I have the SATA unit and it works fine.

Nick

!