external USB cases?? can they?

I am faced with having to connect a standard IDE hard drive to a
machine from the outside. Can an external USB case be used for
this purpose? What about the power to the externally
connected-through USB port IDE hard drive? If so, where can I best
pick up one of these? Won't bore you with the details,
but this involves a data recovery attempt from the hard drive
using a machine I cannot open up, cuz it has the software I need
for the recovery. Thanks for any helpful information. IOW, I need
to be able to access an IDE hardrive from another machine without
opening the case.
3 answers Last reply
More about external cases they

    Neutrino Boy <NeutrinoBoyFAKE@excite.com> wrote in

    > Can an external USB case be used for
    > this purpose? What about the power to the externally
    > connected-through USB port IDE hard drive?

    My external USB case has its own PSU built-in, fed by mains power.

    ADS makes a quality external USB2 case with ATA100 interface
    for IDE drives. It has a separate power supply, and has a built in
    cooling fan. I got it for about $60 at Circuit City. It's great for
    formatting, partitioning, or erasing drives without having to
    temporarily install them in a PC.

    A C Ryan make a unit for either ATA or SATA that brings connectors and power
    out to one of the rear slots. See http://www.acryan.com/_backy/index.shtml.

    I have the SATA unit and it works fine.

    Nick

    "Neutrino Boy" <NeutrinoBoyFAKE@excite.com> wrote in message
    >I am faced with having to connect a standard IDE hard drive to a
    > machine from the outside. Can an external USB case be used for
    > this purpose? What about the power to the externally
    > connected-through USB port IDE hard drive? If so, where can I best
    > pick up one of these? Won't bore you with the details,
    > but this involves a data recovery attempt from the hard drive
    > using a machine I cannot open up, cuz it has the software I need
    > for the recovery. Thanks for any helpful information. IOW, I need
    > to be able to access an IDE hardrive from another machine without
    > opening the case.

Cases External USB Storage