Adding a Second Hard Drive: Hints for the Clueless

This seems to be a common enough question around here...

I'm considering adding a second hard drive (for data-partition usage
only) to my current computer (which has a single hard-drive with
multiple partitions), and while I can probably muddle through such an
installation, I'm a bit clueless as to what considerations I might have
to make before deciding:
(1) whether my system will support a second hard drive, and
(2) if there's anything specific about the second hard drive
it would need for my system to support it.

This may turn out to be a simple "duh" question, but... I'm more a
programmer than a hardware mechanic, and have little experience working
in the realm of the latter. (In tinkering with a computer's insides,
I've installed RAM into an existing computer, and that's about it.)
I've poked around on the 'Net after this question, but am so far not
feeling too enlightened. And I don't want to go buy a drive and find
out later that it's the wrong kind for my existing machine, or some
other issue.

My current drive is listed as a "Seagate Alpine 80GB 8MB Cache SATA
Hard Drive."
The motherboard is listed as an "Intel D875PBZ ATX Motherboard."

Any thoughts? Questions? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- Tom Kiefer
thogek @ earthlink . net
7 answers Last reply
More about adding hard drive hints clueless

    > This seems to be a common enough question around here...
    >
    > I'm considering adding a second hard drive (for data-partition usage
    > only) to my current computer (which has a single hard-drive with
    > multiple partitions), and while I can probably muddle through such an
    > installation, I'm a bit clueless as to what considerations I might have
    > to make before deciding:
    > (1) whether my system will support a second hard drive, and
    > (2) if there's anything specific about the second hard drive
    > it would need for my system to support it.
    >
    > This may turn out to be a simple "duh" question, but... I'm more a
    > programmer than a hardware mechanic, and have little experience working
    > in the realm of the latter. (In tinkering with a computer's insides,
    > I've installed RAM into an existing computer, and that's about it.)
    > I've poked around on the 'Net after this question, but am so far not
    > feeling too enlightened. And I don't want to go buy a drive and find
    > out later that it's the wrong kind for my existing machine, or some
    > other issue.
    >
    > My current drive is listed as a "Seagate Alpine 80GB 8MB Cache SATA
    > Hard Drive."
    > The motherboard is listed as an "Intel D875PBZ ATX Motherboard."
    >
    > Any thoughts? Questions? Any input would be appreciated.

    Assuming that your computer case can accomodate additional disk
    and power supply has enough power (99% sure), judging from
    http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_con.htm
    you can buy additional SATA disk drive and connect it to K.
    If you don't have/don't want to buy SATA power converter,
    look for SATA drives with a regular power plug.

    <thogek@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > This seems to be a common enough question around here...

    > I'm considering adding a second hard drive (for data-partition
    > usage only) to my current computer (which has a single
    > hard-drive with multiple partitions), and while I can probably
    > muddle through such an installation, I'm a bit clueless as to
    > what considerations I might have to make before deciding:
    > (1) whether my system will support a second hard drive, and

    There's very few reasonably modern systems that dont, and
    those that do its mainly the tiny cases where there is no physical
    space to fit the second hard drive, unless you have 3 optical
    drives in addition to the hard drive and that would be very unusual.

    > (2) if there's anything specific about the second hard
    > drive it would need for my system to support it.

    Just make sure its SATA.

    And be careful, the SATA connectors are VERY fragile.

    > This may turn out to be a simple "duh" question, but... I'm more a
    > programmer than a hardware mechanic, and have little experience
    > working in the realm of the latter. (In tinkering with a computer's insides,
    > I've installed RAM into an existing computer, and that's about it.)

    You shouldnt have any problem, its actually easier than adding ram.

    > I've poked around on the 'Net after this question,
    > but am so far not feeling too enlightened.

    Yeah, its surprising how rarely basic
    questions like this are succinctly covered.

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > <thogek@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > > (2) if there's anything specific about the second hard
    > > drive it would need for my system to support it.
    >
    > Just make sure its SATA.

    Okay, I'm presuming that SATA (serial ATA) isn't the same as various
    other *ATA buzzwords, such as "Ultra ATA", etc., so that I need
    something that specifically calls itself SATA?

    For example, I was looking at the "Seagate ST3200822A-RK 200 GB ATA
    Internal Hard Drive", as listed on Amazon.com, which many say they've
    installed as a second drive, but which bills itself as having an "Ultra
    ATA/100" interface.

    > > I've poked around on the 'Net after this question,
    > > but am so far not feeling too enlightened.
    >
    > Yeah, its surprising how rarely basic
    > questions like this are succinctly covered.

    I've noticed. Makes me wanna start my own blog or similar just for
    these. :-/

    Thanks!

    - Tom Kiefer
    thogek @ earthlink . net

    Peter wrote:
    > Assuming that your computer case can accomodate additional disk
    > and power supply has enough power (99% sure), judging from
    > http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/bz_con.htm
    > you can buy additional SATA disk drive and connect it to K.
    > If you don't have/don't want to buy SATA power converter,
    > look for SATA drives with a regular power plug.

    Mmm, thanks for the diagram page. Kinda useful to get a picture of
    what I'm considering poking at *before* I go crowbarring the case. :-)

    - Tom Kiefer
    thogek @ earthlink . net

    thogek@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> <thogek@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >> > (2) if there's anything specific about the second hard
    >> > drive it would need for my system to support it.
    >>
    >> Just make sure its SATA.
    >
    > Okay, I'm presuming that SATA (serial ATA) isn't the same as various
    > other *ATA buzzwords, such as "Ultra ATA", etc., so that I need
    > something that specifically calls itself SATA?
    >
    > For example, I was looking at the "Seagate ST3200822A-RK 200 GB ATA
    > Internal Hard Drive", as listed on Amazon.com, which many say they've
    > installed as a second drive, but which bills itself as having an "Ultra
    > ATA/100" interface.

    Serial ATA, which is what "SATA" stands for, uses a different cable and
    different signalling from any other kind of ATA. There are adapters
    available but they cost as much as an 80 gig drive.

    The drive you mention is not an SATA drive.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    "J. Clarke" wrote:
    > Serial ATA, which is what "SATA" stands for, uses a different cable and
    > different signalling from any other kind of ATA. There are adapters
    > available but they cost as much as an 80 gig drive.

    The price for a one-device adaptor is in the low $20s now:
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=717791/search=serial%2520ata%2520adapter

    Rick Lowen

    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> <thogek@earthlink.net> wrote

    >>> (2) if there's anything specific about the second hard
    >>> drive it would need for my system to support it.

    >> Just make sure its SATA.

    > Okay, I'm presuming that SATA (serial ATA) isn't the same
    > as various other *ATA buzzwords, such as "Ultra ATA", etc.,
    > so that I need something that specifically calls itself SATA?

    Correct.

    > For example, I was looking at the "Seagate ST3200822A-RK
    > 200 GB ATA Internal Hard Drive", as listed on Amazon.com,
    > which many say they've installed as a second drive, but which
    > bills itself as having an "Ultra ATA/100" interface.

    That might well work, but its simpler to stick with SATA in your situation.

    >>> I've poked around on the 'Net after this question,
    >>> but am so far not feeling too enlightened.

    >> Yeah, its surprising how rarely basic
    >> questions like this are succinctly covered.

    > I've noticed. Makes me wanna start my
    > own blog or similar just for these. :-/

    > Thanks!

    No problem.