USB powered zip 250 started eating zip100 disks! Aaaargh!

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 19, 2005 1:00:43 PM

Hi,

Is this the right group for this? Anyway, just today my USB zip250
drive decided to ruin two of my zip100 disks (it has been working fine
up until now), I am very reluctant to put in another zip disk to
confirm it is the drive - I have also got a scsi zip100 drive which I
have used to check and long-format my other zip disks, so I know they
are OK (as is my scsi zip100 drive). Is my zip250 drive just kaput or
what? Anyone else had this happen?

When I try to format the two disks using my zip100 drive, they fail to
format and media life is reported by iomegaware as 48% and 50% (were
previously reported as 85% before I tried to reformat in the zip100,
but after they got chewed - I didn't check them before that).

One other thing I'm not too sure of - why won't a zip250 drive long
format a zip100 disk? Is it because it is USB powered, or that it just
can't handle the smaller disk capacity?

Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 20, 2005 8:46:26 PM

Use Blank DVDS or Cds for DOGs sake.

On 19 Apr 2005 09:00:43 -0700, jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is this the right group for this? Anyway, just today my USB zip250
>drive decided to ruin two of my zip100 disks (it has been working fine
>up until now), I am very reluctant to put in another zip disk to
>confirm it is the drive - I have also got a scsi zip100 drive which I
>have used to check and long-format my other zip disks, so I know they
>are OK (as is my scsi zip100 drive). Is my zip250 drive just kaput or
>what? Anyone else had this happen?
>
>When I try to format the two disks using my zip100 drive, they fail to
>format and media life is reported by iomegaware as 48% and 50% (were
>previously reported as 85% before I tried to reformat in the zip100,
>but after they got chewed - I didn't check them before that).
>
>One other thing I'm not too sure of - why won't a zip250 drive long
>format a zip100 disk? Is it because it is USB powered, or that it just
>can't handle the smaller disk capacity?
>
>Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 21, 2005 1:17:37 AM

jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>Is this the right group for this? Anyway, just today my USB zip250
>drive decided to ruin two of my zip100 disks (it has been working fine
>up until now), I am very reluctant to put in another zip disk to
>confirm it is the drive - I have also got a scsi zip100 drive which I
>have used to check and long-format my other zip disks, so I know they
>are OK (as is my scsi zip100 drive). Is my zip250 drive just kaput or
>what? Anyone else had this happen?
>
>When I try to format the two disks using my zip100 drive, they fail to
>format and media life is reported by iomegaware as 48% and 50% (were
>previously reported as 85% before I tried to reformat in the zip100,
>but after they got chewed - I didn't check them before that).

If the disks actually got "chewed", then they would likely wreck any
drive in which you tried to use them subsequently.

>One other thing I'm not too sure of - why won't a zip250 drive long
>format a zip100 disk? Is it because it is USB powered, or that it just
>can't handle the smaller disk capacity?

The tracks on the 100MB disks are much wider than the heads on a 250MB
drive can write, so the drive has to make several passes to fill out
each track when writing. This makes writing to a 100MB disk in a
250MB drive *very* slow. Long formatting also involves verifying the
integrity of the disk surface, and I don't think the narrow heads on a
250MB drive could do that reliably for a 100MB disk (it would take an
exceedingly long time to even attempt it).

I don't think it is a good idea to be writing to 100MB disks in a
250MB drive on a regular basis.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 2, 2005 4:07:42 PM

Hi,

> If the disks actually got "chewed", then they would likely wreck any
> drive in which you tried to use them subsequently.

Well, not literal physical damage, just an expression.

> I don't think it is a good idea to be writing to 100MB disks in a
> 250MB drive on a regular basis.

Hmm, so perhaps my disks were being gradually degraded by the 250MB
writing and I just hadn't noticed. I will certainly bare this in mind
for the future, and perhaps invest in a second 100MB scsi zip drive and
some 250MB disks for use in the other one. Thanks!
!