Adding a 2nd hard disk

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi,
I am attempting to add a 2nd hard disk to my pc. I don’t know if my
power supply can take the extra load.

Question: How do I figure out how much power I need? and would it fry
my pc if I just add the hard disk to try it?

Thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Adding-2nd-hard-disk-ftopict52831.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=257576

steve <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

> I am attempting to add a 2nd hard disk to my pc.
> I don’t know if my power supply can take the extra load.

Normally they can with modern hard drives.

> Question: How do I figure out how much power I need?

If the power supply has a sticker that says more than 200W it should be fine.

It may well be fine even if its lower than that too.

> and would it fry my pc if I just add the hard disk to try it?

Nope, it just wont start properly.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Rod Speed" wrote:
> steve <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>
> > I am attempting to add a 2nd hard disk to my pc.
> > I don’t know if my power supply can take the extra load.
>
> Normally they can with modern hard drives.
>
> > Question: How do I figure out how much power I need?
>
> If the power supply has a sticker that says more than 200W it
> should be fine.
>
> It may well be fine even if its lower than that too.
>
> > and would it fry my pc if I just add the hard disk to try
> it?
>
> Nope, it just wont start properly.

Thanks, Rod.

I think it is a 350 Watt, but I have to look again.

I guess I will add it to see how it goes (I will do it at my own
risk!). The multimedia stuff is starting to take tooo much space.

steve

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Adding-2nd-hard-disk-ftopict52831.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=257624