Swap internal to external

RR

hello -

I have some old IDE drives from a fried computer that
I want to get the data off them.

I was wondering if I could just "plug" them into a USB
external case. Then, I could just plug the USB into a
working computer.

These are old IDE drives. I see some external cases
on www.cyberguys.com that imply that this can be done.

Anyone ever try this?

Thanks,
bruce

Simple answer to this one .... NO

However you could by a PCI ide card to connect them to .
Or if u have ide on ur comp try connecting them to that.
I know of now programm that will allow u to connect them straight to
usb.
Hope this has helped u.

Rgrds Steve ( turk2045 )
savers200@hotmail.co.uk

It might work. They probably never test the USB-IDE chips with pre-UDMA
drives.

You can also get just the USB-IDE adapter for under $10, often used by techs.

"rr" <bruceradtke@REMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I have some old IDE drives from a fried computer that
> I want to get the data off them.
>
> I was wondering if I could just "plug" them into a USB
> external case. Then, I could just plug the USB into a
> working computer.
>
> These are old IDE drives. I see some external cases
> on www.cyberguys.com that imply that this can be done.

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:55:37 GMT, "rr"
<bruceradtke@REMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote:

>hello -
>
>I have some old IDE drives from a fried computer that
>I want to get the data off them.
>
>I was wondering if I could just "plug" them into a USB
>external case. Then, I could just plug the USB into a
>working computer.
>
>These are old IDE drives. I see some external cases
>on www.cyberguys.com that imply that this can be done.
>
>Anyone ever try this?

Sure, if there's no problem with them, that will work. If you need to
image them or use forensic/data recovery programs on them however,
then you're better off either opening your case or using a removable drive
tray and just attaching them to one of the internal IDE cables on your
recovery machine.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"turk2045" <savers200@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:1114198035.491282.197380@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com
> Simple answer to this one .... NO

Wotasimpleton.

rr wrote:
> hello -
>
> I have some old IDE drives from a fried computer that
> I want to get the data off them.
>
> I was wondering if I could just "plug" them into a USB
> external case. Then, I could just plug the USB into a
> working computer.
>
> These are old IDE drives. I see some external cases
> on www.cyberguys.com that imply that this can be done.
>
> Anyone ever try this?
>
> Thanks,
> bruce

I did that and got the data off the old IDE drive. The drive in the
external enclosure was jumpered as master.

"rr" <bruceradtke@REMOVEspamREMOVE.earthlink.net> wrote in

> hello -
>
> I have some old IDE drives from a fried computer that
> I want to get the data off them.
>
> I was wondering if I could just "plug" them into a USB
> external case. Then, I could just plug the USB into a
> working computer.
>
> These are old IDE drives. I see some external cases
> on www.cyberguys.com that imply that this can be done.
>
> Anyone ever try this?

Yes and it worked just fine.

"turk2045" <savers200@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in

> Simple answer to this one .... NO
>
> However you could by a PCI ide card to connect them to .
> Or if u have ide on ur comp try connecting them to that.
> I know of now programm that will allow u to connect them
> straight to usb.
> Hope this has helped u.
>
> Rgrds Steve ( turk2045 )
> savers200@hotmail.co.uk

Rubbish.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

Of course swapping works, external drives are common now.
Just wondering how much slower, if at all USB 2 is compared to a IDE?

Pavel <non@none.com> wrote in message

> Of course swapping works, external drives are common now.

> Just wondering how much slower, if at all USB 2 is compared to a IDE?

It is measurably slower using a benchmark but its
unlikely most users would notice much with data drives.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

> It is measurably slower using a benchmark but its
> unlikely most users would notice much with data drives.

Would one notice a difference if one is doing video transferring, say, in
the form of lost frames?

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> It is measurably slower using a benchmark but its
>> unlikely most users would notice much with data drives.

> Would one notice a difference if one is doing video
> transferring, say, in the form of lost frames?

Nope. Not even with raw video.

TRENDING THREADS