Need some advice on hot-swap SATA drive under Windows XP

I would like to use hot-swap SATA drive as a backup storage medium. The
principle hard disk subsystems on this machine are a SCSI RAID 1 (on an Adaptec
controller) and an ATA133 RAID 1 on a Highpoint controller. The system has an
on-board SATA controller that is hot-swap capable (according to the MB
manufacturer). I have installed a removable SATA drive bay in an available 5
1/4" bay, and several 160 GB SATA drives in the drive trays for this bay.
Windows XP Professional is running on this machine. The drivers for the SATA
controller installed fine, and when a drives is inserted in the bay, Windows XP
recognizes this drive, and you can read and write it.

The problem I am having is that Windows XP considers the SATA drive to be a
fixed drive, and I cannot figure out how to tell the OS that it is removable.
There doesn't seem to be any good way of telling the OS that I want to remove
this drive so that the OS can flush the buffers, etc.

If I just pull out the disk, I get an error message in the error logs, but when
I put the disk back in and do a chkdsk, the file system is fine.

How can I do a clean Windows XP remove of this hot-swap drive?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
3 answers Last reply
More about need advice swap sata drive windows

    fsutil volume dismount <volume letter>:

    Steve wrote:

    > I would like to use hot-swap SATA drive as a backup storage medium. The
    > principle hard disk subsystems on this machine are a SCSI RAID 1 (on an
    > Adaptec
    > controller) and an ATA133 RAID 1 on a Highpoint controller. The system
    > has an on-board SATA controller that is hot-swap capable (according to the
    > MB
    > manufacturer). I have installed a removable SATA drive bay in an
    > available 5 1/4" bay, and several 160 GB SATA drives in the drive trays
    > for this bay.
    > Windows XP Professional is running on this machine. The drivers for the
    > SATA controller installed fine, and when a drives is inserted in the bay,
    > Windows XP recognizes this drive, and you can read and write it.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that Windows XP considers the SATA drive to be
    > a fixed drive, and I cannot figure out how to tell the OS that it is
    > removable. There doesn't seem to be any good way of telling the OS that I
    > want to remove this drive so that the OS can flush the buffers, etc.

    You can't. Search the Microsoft site for "devcon.exe". It lets you enable
    and disable the drive--files should be closed before it disables the
    driver. Doesn't always work though and I haven't figured out the whys of
    that yet.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    "Steve" <nospam@nowhere.org> wrote in message news:gr2i61p3o2k3bhaipr904u6vljsnq4a6hs@4ax.com
    > I would like to use hot-swap SATA drive as a backup storage medium. The
    > principle hard disk subsystems on this machine are a SCSI RAID 1 (on an Adaptec
    > controller) and an ATA133 RAID 1 on a Highpoint controller. The system has an
    > on-board SATA controller that is hot-swap capable (according to the MB
    > manufacturer). I have installed a removable SATA drive bay in an available 5
    > 1/4" bay, and several 160 GB SATA drives in the drive trays for this bay.
    > Windows XP Professional is running on this machine. The drivers for the SATA
    > controller installed fine, and when a drives is inserted in the bay, Windows XP
    > recognizes this drive, and you can read and write it.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that Windows XP considers the SATA drive to be a
    > fixed drive, and I cannot figure out how to tell the OS that it is removable.

    Device manager | diskdrives | properties | settings,
    or at least that's how it is with Win9x.

    > There doesn't seem to be any good way of telling the OS that I want to remove
    > this drive so that the OS can flush the buffers, etc.
    >
    > If I just pull out the disk, I get an error message in the error logs, but when
    > I put the disk back in and do a chkdsk, the file system is fine.
    >
    > How can I do a clean Windows XP remove of this hot-swap drive?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Steve

SATA Windows XP Storage