Fastest workstation storage

Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello,
I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks
33 answers Last reply
More about fastest workstation storage
  1. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Hello,
    > I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
    > Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
    > fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

    Fast is a generic term. Be more specific. Fast RAID for a
    database, web server or a streaming application requires a
    different selection criteria.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi .::SuperBLUE::. <superblue@dontusefakkevip.hr> prica:
    > I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
    > Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
    > fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

    39320 is not a RAID controller... You could possibly use software RAID0
    solution, but I don't recommend it... Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID
    controllers:

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FRAID&fromPage=supportindex

    Also check LSI and ICP Vortex...

    Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

    --
    Tapira spava sretan kaktusu maltretiru danima u saboru.
    By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  3. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop, especially
    from Adaptec.

    If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on Intel's
    i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.

    If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for data.

    <calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid> wrote in message

    > 39320 is not a RAID controller... You could possibly use software RAID0
    > solution, but I don't recommend it... Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID
    > controllers:

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=E
    nglish+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FRAID&fromPage=supportindex

  4. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    <calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid> wrote in message news:d4g3q8$4pe$3@bagan.srce.hr
    > U comp.periphs.scsi .::SuperBLUE::. <superblue@dontusefakkevip.hr> prica:
    > > I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation.
    > > Is Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives
    > > u 320 the fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks
    >

    > 39320 is not a RAID controller...

    Yes, it is. Just not an all purpose one.

    > You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,

    That is what all RAID is, software.
    The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
    whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.

    > but I don't recommend it...

    Who cares what you recommend.

    > Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID controllers:

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FRAID&fromPage=supportindex

    > Also check LSI and ICP Vortex...
    >

    > Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

    Do you always have to ask questions that the post already answers?
  5. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d4gcdv01sur@enews2.newsguy.com
    > Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop, especially
    > from Adaptec.
    >
    > If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on Intel's
    > i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.
    >
    > If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for data.

    And you said "Don't be stupid"?

    > <calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 39320 is not a RAID controller... You could possibly use software RAID0
    > > solution, but I don't recommend it... Here is a list of Adaptec's RAID
    > > controllers:
    > >

    > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=E
    > nglish+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FRAID&fromPage=supportindex
  6. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop,
    especially
    > > from Adaptec.
    > >
    > > If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on
    Intel's
    > > i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.
    > >
    > > If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for
    data.

    > And you said "Don't be stupid"?

    This is an A/V workstation. 7200 IDE has taken over 10K SCSI in this
    application, because of price and drive capacity.

    4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.

    Tell us Folknuts, what would you recommend? Or are you just going to troll?
  7. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    You could possibly use software RAID0
    > solution, but I don't recommend it...

    Why not? Will it make a serious impact on performance of a dual opteron.

    > Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

    Fastest possible - read, write, seek.

    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/hard-drives/mas-15k-rpm/specifications.
    html
  8. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    ..::SuperBLUE::. wrote:

    > You could possibly use software RAID0
    >> solution, but I don't recommend it...
    >
    > Why not? Will it make a serious impact on performance of a dual opteron.
    >
    >> Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?
    >
    > Fastest possible - read, write, seek.

    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/hard-drives/mas-15k-rpm/specifications.
    > html

    If your only criterion is "the fastest possible" then you want a RAM based
    device, not disk.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    > Fast is a generic term. Be more specific. Fast RAID for a
    > database, web server or a streaming application requires a
    > different selection criteria.

    This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
    effects.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    ..::SuperBLUE::. <superblue@dontusefakkevip.hr> wrote:

    > This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
    > effects.

    So you need fast reads and writes on large files, but not extremely fast
    access. For this application, the high (15k) rpm drives you mentioned
    won't provide much additional benefit to offset their high cost.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > 39320 is not a RAID controller...
    http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=sccraid&sort=p
  12. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    ..::SuperBLUE::. wrote:

    >> 39320 is not a RAID controller...
    > http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=sccraid&sort=p

    Depends on your definition. It appears to be host-based, in other words
    it's software RAID only with BIOS support for boot.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  13. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:l0Mae.71$BW6.9170@news20.bellglobal.com
    > > Hello,
    > > I am looking for fastest raid 0 storage solution for a workstation. Is
    > > Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
    > > fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks
    >
    > Fast is a generic term. Be more specific.

    > Fast RAID for a database, web server or a streaming application
    > requires a different selection criteria.

    Oh? How so?
  14. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> prica:
    > 4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.

    Well, to tell you the truth... RAID0 over 12 Hitachi 160GB/8MB 7K250 drives
    (SATA), on 3Ware 9500S-12 SATA RAID controller, and I could get 350MB/s read
    and 210MB/s write speed... How the heck could you get 300MB/s on 4 ATA
    drives?!!!!!

    3Ware 9500S-12, 128MB cache, PCI-X 66MHz
    12x Hitachi 7K250, 160GB/8MB, 64kb stripe size

    The machine was a video-capture workstation... Tested with BlackMagic Design
    software for video-capture speed testing... Capture card was BlackMagic
    Design DectLink Extreme IIRC...

    --
    Opekaa gura u kantini ekonomije divovski dorucaku ugnjetavu
    danima. By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  15. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> prica:
    > > 4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.
    >
    > Well, to tell you the truth... RAID0 over 12 Hitachi 160GB/8MB 7K250 drives
    > (SATA), on 3Ware 9500S-12 SATA RAID controller, and I could get 350MB/s
    read
    > and 210MB/s write speed... How the heck could you get 300MB/s on 4 ATA
    > drives?!!!!!
    >
    > 3Ware 9500S-12, 128MB cache, PCI-X 66MHz
    > 12x Hitachi 7K250, 160GB/8MB, 64kb stripe size

    PCI-X/66 is 480MB/s, the 3ware's CPU is not capable of filling it.

    On previous generation chipsets, the ICH5 was measured around 200MB/s with 4
    drives a couple years ago. The ICH6-MCH link is as fast as PCI-X/133, and is
    available on $100 mainboards.

    Hardware RAID cards often have a STR bottleneck, which is not important for
    most server applications.

    > The machine was a video-capture workstation... Tested with BlackMagic
    Design
    > software for video-capture speed testing... Capture card was BlackMagic
    > Design DectLink Extreme IIRC...

  16. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid wrote:

    > U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> prica:
    >> 4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.
    >
    > Well, to tell you the truth... RAID0 over 12 Hitachi 160GB/8MB 7K250
    > drives (SATA), on 3Ware 9500S-12 SATA RAID controller, and I could get
    > 350MB/s read and 210MB/s write speed... How the heck could you get 300MB/s
    > on 4 ATA drives?!!!!!

    Under ideal conditions for one rotation?

    > 3Ware 9500S-12, 128MB cache, PCI-X 66MHz
    > 12x Hitachi 7K250, 160GB/8MB, 64kb stripe size
    >
    > The machine was a video-capture workstation... Tested with BlackMagic
    > Design software for video-capture speed testing... Capture card was
    > BlackMagic Design DectLink Extreme IIRC...

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  17. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> prica:
    >> 39320 is not a RAID controller...
    > Yes, it is. Just not an all purpose one.

    ? Hmmm? 39320 is, accoring to Adaptec's support page plain SCSI HBA... RAID?
    Sorry, I couldn't find any RAID funcion in it... Any links?

    >> You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,
    > That is what all RAID is, software.
    > The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
    > whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.

    OK, I get your point...

    >> but I don't recommend it...
    > Who cares what you recommend.

    Well, yes, who cares?

    >> Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?
    > Do you always have to ask questions that the post already answers?

    I intend to get as much info as possible...

    --
    "Izbacens li beogradjaninu vjesu ?" upita eurokremo tuce pajseru ubiju.
    "Nisam ja nikog bombardiro !" rece kondoma pozdravlja "Ja samo rukometasu guru blesavm !"
    By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  18. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi .::SuperBLUE::. <superblue@dontusefakkevip.hr> prica:

    > This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
    > effects.

    Now we're talking... :)

    I believe you'll need some kind of redundancy (don't forget backups too)...
    RAID10 would be my option here... Speed of RAID0 + redundancy of RAID1...
    I'd go with hardware based RAID controller... Check ICP Vortex and LSI
    Logic... Don't know about Adaptec's, some models aren't very good
    performers...

    http://www.icp-vortex.com/english/product/prodrdy_e.htm

    http://www.lsilogic.com/products/megaraid/index.html

    BTW, there could be some problems with software RAID (hence, hardware RAID
    too!)... Like some strange drops in read/write speed if stripe size is not
    set properly... Don't ask me how to set it properly, try every stripe size,
    and see how it performs (using HDTach or some other benchmark utility)...
    Just to let you know about that... :)

    --
    "Divovskis li crncugau komponiru ?" upita koka guzi biljkau vjesu.
    "Ne znam ja nista !" rece medoo zigoshe "Ja samo rasisto podmazuje trijezanm !" By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  19. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > > You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,
    >
    > That is what all RAID is, software.
    > The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
    > whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.

    Software RAIDs are often more reliable and better coded then hardware ones. The
    Linux community or Veritas Corp (MS licensed the lite version of Veritas's VxVM
    to Windows as "Dynamic Disk") can produce better code then the small company
    with small development bugdets and heavy time-to-market requirements.

    The only drawbacks of the software RAID are a) hardships in some OSes like
    Windows in booting from it - Windows can boot from mirror only, not from stripe
    or span set or RAID5 b) RAID5 checksum calculation is done by the host CPU,
    which is slow.

    If one does not use RAID5, but uses mirror - then I see no advantages in
    hardware RAID.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

    >> > You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,
    >>
    >> That is what all RAID is, software.
    >> The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
    >> whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.
    >
    > Software RAIDs are often more reliable and better coded then hardware
    > ones. The Linux community or Veritas Corp (MS licensed the lite version of
    > Veritas's VxVM to Windows as "Dynamic Disk") can produce better code then
    > the small company with small development bugdets and heavy time-to-market
    > requirements.
    >
    > The only drawbacks of the software RAID are a) hardships in some OSes like
    > Windows in booting from it - Windows can boot from mirror only, not from
    > stripe or span set or RAID5 b) RAID5 checksum calculation is done by the
    > host CPU, which is slow.
    >
    > If one does not use RAID5, but uses mirror - then I see no advantages in
    > hardware RAID.

    Unless your main process is CPU-bound.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  21. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:

    > If one does not use RAID5, but uses mirror - then I see no advantages in
    > hardware RAID.

    Well, if your controller has even a very small amount of NVRAM in which
    to record current write operations, the hardware approach can avoid the
    need to perform a complete mirror resynch after something as common as a
    power failure (even when such software resynchs are done in the
    background, they consume disk performance resources). And if your
    controller has somewhat more (preferably mirrored) NVRAM, it can perform
    some significant write-back optimizations on the write stream (while
    significantly improving perceived write latency in the process).

    Other than that, and avoiding the additional processor interrupts and
    bus and memory activity which software mirroring requires, I agree.

    - bill
  22. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > > Fast is a generic term. Be more specific. Fast RAID for a
    > > database, web server or a streaming application requires a
    > > different selection criteria.
    >
    > This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
    > effects.

    Do you have or already decided what video production hardware
    (like capture cards) you are going to have?

    Same for the workstation. Do you have it already and now looking
    for a fast storage system, or still trying to decide which workstation
    to get?
  23. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    My experiments with Win2003 server backed by EMC CX-700 (2Gbit
    fibre-channel) show that best throughput was achieved with hardware RAID-10
    sets striped in software so that multiple LUNs were visible to the OS. With
    a 2Tb drive created from five 400Gb RAID-10 sets each consisting of six
    133Gb drives, throughput was several hundred percent better than with the
    RAID-10 all done in hardware and only presenting a single LUN to the OS.
    OTOH, with Win2000 as the OS the software striping gave no appreciable
    advantage over the hardware striping.

    My testing was done with the MS Loadsim 2003 stress test tool for simulating
    a production Exchange environment.

    Nick
  24. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> prica:
    > PCI-X/66 is 480MB/s, the 3ware's CPU is not capable of filling it.

    Theoretically - 64bit * 66MHz / 8bit/byte= 528MB/s

    I am not so sure that 9500S-12 is not capable of doing it... We're talking
    about real read/write speed (used by BlackMagic Design application)...

    > On previous generation chipsets, the ICH5 was measured around 200MB/s with 4
    > drives a couple years ago. The ICH6-MCH link is as fast as PCI-X/133, and is
    > available on $100 mainboards.

    Well, great... On which drives, and what speed is measured? Host to buffer
    or what? 200MB/s on 4 drives is hard to believe... Real performanse, of
    course...

    --
    Djedica leti drazesan lubenicao kolje satima u tramvaju ?
    By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  25. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d4hj9l01pbr@enews3.newsguy.com
    > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:426c3082$0$82665$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
    > > "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d4gcdv01sur@enews2.newsguy.com
    > > > Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop, especially
    > > > from Adaptec.
    > > >
    > > > If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on Intel's
    > > > i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.
    > > >
    > > > If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for data.
    > >
    > > And you said "Don't be stupid"?
    > >
    > This is an A/V workstation.

    So why SCSI for the OS at all.

    > 7200 IDE has taken over 10K SCSI in this application, because of price and
    > drive capacity.
    >
    > 4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today,

    Rapters, which are 10K. And you never said 'Raid' IDE for data.

    > an Ultra320 channel is less.

    But not by that much using packetized-SCSI protocol.
    And the 39320 is dual channel.

    > Tell us Folknuts, what would you recommend?

    You were the one that said : "Don't be stupid". Not me.
    Sounds like this is your favourite stopword with little meaning.

    > Or are you just going to troll?

    Bad Rod 'The Kane' Speed impersonation: All posture and no show.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    <calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid> wrote in message news:d4hm32$hrh$5@bagan.srce.hr
    > U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> prica:
    > > 4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.
    >
    > Well, to tell you the truth... RAID0 over 12 Hitachi 160GB/8MB 7K250 drives
    > (SATA), on 3Ware 9500S-12 SATA RAID controller, and I could get 350MB/s read
    > and 210MB/s write speed...

    > How the heck could you get 300MB/s on 4 ATA drives?!!!!!

    4 (second generation) Raptors, on outer zones.

    > 3Ware 9500S-12, 128MB cache, PCI-X 66MHz
    > 12x Hitachi 7K250, 160GB/8MB, 64kb stripe size
    >
    > The machine was a video-capture workstation... Tested with BlackMagic Design
    > software for video-capture speed testing... Capture card was BlackMagic
    > Design DectLink Extreme IIRC...
  27. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    <calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid> wrote in message news:d4hm7s$hrh$6@bagan.srce.hr
    > U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> prica:
    > > > 39320 is not a RAID controller...
    > >
    > > Yes, it is. Just not an all purpose one.
    >
    > ? Hmmm? 39320 is, accoring to Adaptec's support page

    And why look at the support page?

    > plain SCSI HBA... RAID?
    > Sorry, I couldn't find any RAID funcion in it... Any links?

    Odd.
    'HostRAID' gives me several references including
    "Adaptec SCSI Card 39320(D)-R" product specification pages.
    AFAICT the HostRAID support is in the SCSI chip itself so I can't
    see how there would be a version of 39320 without that capability.

    > > > You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,
    > >
    > > That is what all RAID is, software.
    > > The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
    > > whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.
    >
    > OK, I get your point...
    >
    > > > but I don't recommend it...
    > >
    > > Who cares what you recommend.
    >
    > Well, yes, who cares?
    >
    > > > Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?
    > >
    > > Do you always have to ask questions that the post already answers?
    >
    > I intend to get as much info as possible...

    All answers were already in that post.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> prica:

    > 'HostRAID' gives me several references including
    > "Adaptec SCSI Card 39320(D)-R" product specification pages.
    > AFAICT the HostRAID support is in the SCSI chip itself so I can't
    > see how there would be a version of 39320 without that capability.

    Hmmm, HostRAID... My bad, you're right... It has got RAID 0/1 support...
    I tried with RAID adapters from Adaptec at this page:

    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/suppbyproduct.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FRAID&fromPage=supportindex

    > All answers were already in that post.

    In some other post, not the one I answered firstly, read again...

    --
    Albanaca rascvjetava zajeban Madjaro mase navecer. By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  29. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
    > fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks

    Yes. Flash RAM based HDs. eg.
    http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php
    Very expensive, but very very fast.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    David Chien wrote:

    >> Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
    >> fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks
    >
    > Yes. Flash RAM based HDs. eg.
    > http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php
    > Very expensive, but very very fast.

    Uh, note the write rate--14 to 110. With no moving parts it should be one
    or the other, not a range.

    Be careful with flash--don't assume that it's faster than rotating
    magnetic--one of the big selling points for the IBM microdrive is that it's
    faster than the solid state equivalents.

    <http://www.soliddata.com/products/3000/>

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  31. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > > Adaptec 39320 controler + 6 Fujitsu mas 36gb 15000 rpm drives u 320 the
    > > fastest i could get or is there something else, faster? Thanks
    >
    > Yes. Flash RAM based HDs. eg.
    > http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php
    > Very expensive, but very very fast.

    They are fast for a database application (IOPS), but rather slow
    (in comparison) for streaming applications (sustained R/W Rate).

    Not a good match for OP requirements.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> prica:
    >> It has got RAID 0/1 support...

    > Right.

    But that doesn't make it RAID controller... It's normal HBA with RAID 0/1
    support... Where are RAID 0+1, 10, 5?

    > Read it yourself, (if you can).
    > "15krpm U320 SCSI" answered all three questions.

    So, what does that say? 15krpm drive, U320 SCSI, so? Depends on application,
    it could be 10krpm U160 SCSI too, and work just as good as 15krpm/U320...

    --
    U predavaonici naradndzaa izdrkava tirkizan Muslimnu drku
    danas ? By runf

    Damir Lukic, calypso@_MAKNIOVO_fly.srk.fer.hr
    a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
  33. Archived from groups: comp.arch.storage,comp.periphs.scsi,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    <calypso@fly.srk.fer.hr.invalid> wrote in message news:d4o7ss$ht6$2@bagan.srce.hr
    > U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> prica:
    > > > It has got RAID 0/1 support...
    >
    > > Right.
    >
    > But that doesn't make it RAID controller...

    Yes, that does make it a RAID controller, just not an all purpose one.

    > It's normal HBA with RAID 0/1 support...

    > Where are RAID 0+1, 10,

    Didn't see it excluded either.

    > 5?

    Who needs that.
    Ok, you can do with less drives but that's offset by a more expensive -yet slower- controller.

    > > Read it yourself, (if you can).
    > > "15krpm U320 SCSI" answered all three questions.
    >
    > So, what does that say? 15krpm drive, U320 SCSI, so?

    Answered all three questions: fast read, fast write *and* fast seek.

    > Depends on application, it could be 10krpm U160 SCSI too, and work
    > just as good as 15krpm/U320...

    Yup, and he didn't go for that, so there.

Storage Workstations