Backup/Imaging Software w/ support for USB drives?

I am looking for a reliable and affordable backup/imaging software that
will allow me to backup a partition from an internal harddrive (with
optional compression) to an external USB harddisk and restore the image
later with minimum fuss. The machines in question have no floppy
drives, so I probably need a software that can boot the PC from
CD-ROM/DVD and then find and restore the image from the external USB HD
(I assume that booting from a USB stick will not work with most PCs
....).

I have Drive Image 2002, but as it seems it will not let me restore
data from USB drives (or is there a way)?

What do you guys suggest?

Ghost? I heard quite some bitching about it.
TrueImage?
Something else?

I need no fancy extras, just a reliable and easy-to-use imaging/restore
solution ...

TIA.
31 answers Last reply
More about backup imaging software support drives

    > I am looking for a reliable and affordable backup/imaging software that
    > will allow me to backup a partition from an internal harddrive (with
    > optional compression) to an external USB harddisk and restore the image
    > later with minimum fuss. The machines in question have no floppy
    > drives, so I probably need a software that can boot the PC from
    > CD-ROM/DVD and then find and restore the image from the external USB HD
    > (I assume that booting from a USB stick will not work with most PCs
    > ...).
    >
    > I have Drive Image 2002, but as it seems it will not let me restore
    > data from USB drives (or is there a way)?
    >
    > What do you guys suggest?
    >
    > Ghost? I heard quite some bitching about it.
    > TrueImage?
    > Something else?
    >
    > I need no fancy extras, just a reliable and easy-to-use imaging/restore
    > solution ...

    Lets take a defferent approach.
    So you want to use external USB HD for storing images? OK.
    Which operating system you use most often when you want to
    read or write to the external USB HD? Stick to it.
    Create a bootable CD for your selected OS.
    Now look for imaging applications which can work with that CD.
    For Linux that would probably be Acronis TI.
    For Win2k3/XP I would choose ghost32.exe.

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > > I am looking for a reliable and affordable backup/imaging software that
    > > will allow me to backup a partition from an internal harddrive (with
    > > optional compression) to an external USB harddisk and restore the image
    > > later with minimum fuss. The machines in question have no floppy
    > > drives, so I probably need a software that can boot the PC from
    > > CD-ROM/DVD and then find and restore the image from the external USB HD
    >
    > Lets take a defferent approach.
    > So you want to use external USB HD for storing images? OK.
    > Which operating system you use most often when you want to
    > read or write to the external USB HD? Stick to it.
    > Create a bootable CD for your selected OS.
    > Now look for imaging applications which can work with that CD.
    > For Linux that would probably be Acronis TI.
    > For Win2k3/XP I would choose ghost32.exe.

    I take it you mean create Bart's WinPE CD. In that case you can use ntbackup.

    Another option is Win32 UnxUtils: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

    cipher /w:X: # zero free space
    dd if=//./X: | gzip >driveX.imz # backup
    gzip -d <driveX.imz | dd of=//./X: # restore

    > > Lets take a defferent approach.
    > > So you want to use external USB HD for storing images? OK.
    > > Which operating system you use most often when you want to
    > > read or write to the external USB HD? Stick to it.
    > > Create a bootable CD for your selected OS.
    > > Now look for imaging applications which can work with that CD.
    > > For Linux that would probably be Acronis TI.
    > > For Win2k3/XP I would choose ghost32.exe.
    > >
    > I take it you mean create Bart's WinPE CD. In that case you can use
    ntbackup.

    > Another option is Win32 UnxUtils: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > cipher /w:X: # zero free space
    > dd if=//./X: | gzip >driveX.imz # backup
    > gzip -d <driveX.imz | dd of=//./X: # restore

    I don't think that ntbackup is really an imaging tool because you have to
    reinstall Windows to use it.

    dd technique is not flexible enough and lacks most of the sophistication
    found in ghost and similar programs. Like browsing image to restore
    selected files, restore to different disk geometires, resizing partitions,
    skipping swap files, etc.

    > > > Lets take a defferent approach.
    > > > So you want to use external USB HD for storing images? OK.
    > > > Which operating system you use most often when you want to
    > > > read or write to the external USB HD? Stick to it.
    > > > Create a bootable CD for your selected OS.
    > > > Now look for imaging applications which can work with that CD.
    > > > For Linux that would probably be Acronis TI.
    > > > For Win2k3/XP I would choose ghost32.exe.
    > > >
    > > I take it you mean create Bart's WinPE CD. In that case you can use
    > ntbackup.
    >
    > I don't think that ntbackup is really an imaging tool because you have to
    > reinstall Windows to use it.

    Nope, just run ntbackup from WinPE.

    > > I don't think that ntbackup is really an imaging tool because you have
    > > reinstall Windows to use it.
    > >
    > Nope, just run ntbackup from WinPE.

    I thought that you have to run ntbackup from Windows XP Setup
    to be able to recover system. And that you have to have ASR floppy too.
    That looks a bit complicated when there is no floppy drive and backup
    data is on USB HD.

    So how do you do that while running WinPE?

    All right, I will purchase TI. The WinPE road looks like, err, an
    interesting challenge :) , and I just want a simple, out-of-the-box
    solution. Also, the Acronis support rep just confirmed that I can get a
    refund in case it doesnt work.

    Thank you, guys.

    <wintermute_101_nospam@yahoo.de> wrote in message

    > I am looking for a reliable and affordable backup/imaging software that
    > will allow me to backup a partition from an internal harddrive (with
    > optional compression) to an external USB harddisk and restore the image
    > later with minimum fuss. The machines in question have no floppy
    > drives, so I probably need a software that can boot the PC from
    > CD-ROM/DVD and then find and restore the image from the external USB HD

    > (I assume that booting from a USB stick will not work with most PCs ...).

    Correct.

    > I have Drive Image 2002, but as it seems it will not let
    > me restore data from USB drives (or is there a way)?

    DI 2002 does the restores at the DOS level, that is the problem.

    There is atleast one USB DOS driver around, but it makes more
    sense to use an imaging app that supports USB natively now.

    > What do you guys suggest?

    True Image in your situation.

    > Ghost? I heard quite some bitching about it.

    Yeah, the latest Ghost 9 is a rather flawed product. It will do that
    restore from USB after booting its CD but it wont do some other
    stuff like creating the image after booting its CD, you have to install
    it first and it only works with the NT/2K/XP family, not with Win9x or ME.

    And has got some real design flaws if you ever want to clone
    the boot drive when replacing it with something larger too.

    > TrueImage?

    That's currently the imager of choice in my opinion.

    Not perfect, and it might not like you particular USB drive
    or something, but you can get a refund if it doesnt.

    > Something else?

    Not that I'm game to trust for imaging.

    TI has only recently become trustable in my opinion.

    I used DI 2002 mostly until just recently.

    > I need no fancy extras, just a reliable and
    > easy-to-use imaging/restore solution ...

    TI is certainly that and will do incremental images now
    if you are using XP. I dont really trust incremental images
    except for safety incase an install goes pear shaped tho.

    Rod Speed wrote:
    >>Ghost? I heard quite some bitching about it.
    > Yeah, the latest Ghost 9 is a rather flawed product. It will do that
    > restore from USB after booting its CD but it wont do some other
    > stuff like creating the image after booting its CD, you have to install
    > it first and it only works with the NT/2K/XP family, not with Win9x or ME.

    I concur, Ghost 9 is not the best choice. From what I hear, Ghost 9 is
    actually just Drive Image that's been rebranded (Symantec purchased
    PowerQuest). However, previous versions of Ghost are excellent. I have
    an old version (7?) and it's a great, life-saving program. I boot off a
    floppy, but I suspect you could probably make a bootable CD of Ghost. I
    believe Ghost 2003 can also create/restore images from Windows.

    //Kevin

    > I believe Ghost 2003 can also create/restore images from Windows.

    I'm afraid that you cannot. You have to boot DOS to create/restore images
    with Ghost 2003.

    http://ghost.radified.com/

    Has a good overview of Ghost, including:

    "New version: 02.august.2004 - Symantec announces the release of Ghost
    v9.0. Ghost 9 is controversial, because it's not really Ghost. It's
    actually Drive Image, a similar imaging/cloning product developed by
    PowerQuest, a company Symantec purchased on 05.dec.2003."

    "New version: 26.august.2002 - Symantec releases Ghost 2003. This
    version offers a Windows-based interface. Prior to v2003, you needed to
    boot to DOS in order to create or restore an image. Being able to
    configure Ghost from Windows makes the program more user-friendly."

    I wouldn't suggest restoring images while in Windows, though. I'd
    suggest that you stick with DOS based Imaging tools.

    In article <zLgbe.1241$BW6.446378@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >> > Lets take a defferent approach.
    >> > So you want to use external USB HD for storing images? OK.
    >> > Which operating system you use most often when you want to
    >> > read or write to the external USB HD? Stick to it.
    >> > Create a bootable CD for your selected OS.
    >> > Now look for imaging applications which can work with that CD.
    >> > For Linux that would probably be Acronis TI.
    >> > For Win2k3/XP I would choose ghost32.exe.
    >> >
    >> I take it you mean create Bart's WinPE CD. In that case you can use
    >ntbackup.
    >>
    >> Another option is Win32 UnxUtils: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> cipher /w:X: # zero free space
    >> dd if=//./X: | gzip >driveX.imz # backup
    >> gzip -d <driveX.imz | dd of=//./X: # restore
    >
    >I don't think that ntbackup is really an imaging tool because you have to
    >reinstall Windows to use it.

    I haven't played with BartPE yet but I expect you boot a BartPE CD and
    run ntbackup off it. You shou be able to reimage your C drive from any
    saveste, boot and go. You might have to do something to recreate the
    MBR.
    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    In article <1114518037.606004.305390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    David Winter <wintermute_101_nospam@yahoo.de> wrote:
    >All right, I will purchase TI. The WinPE road looks like, err, an
    >interesting challenge :) , and I just want a simple, out-of-the-box
    >solution. Also, the Acronis support rep just confirmed that I can get a
    >refund in case it doesnt work.
    >
    >Thank you, guys.

    I use land like TI but IMO your USB experience depends on what brand
    of USB controller and external device you have. Test your backups. At
    a minimum read back your data every time until you are comfortable and
    after then do it again once in a while.

    Best case. Do a backup, pop a blank disk in your machine, boot the CD
    and try to do restore, for real.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    > I haven't played with BartPE yet but I expect you boot a BartPE CD and
    > run ntbackup off it. You shou be able to reimage your C drive from any
    > saveste, boot and go. You might have to do something to recreate the
    > MBR.

    I don't think you can boot a BartPE CD and run ntbackup off it.

    Peter wrote:

    >> I haven't played with BartPE yet but I expect you boot a BartPE CD and
    >> run ntbackup off it. You shou be able to reimage your C drive from any
    >> saveste, boot and go. You might have to do something to recreate the
    >> MBR.
    >
    > I don't think you can boot a BartPE CD and run ntbackup off it.

    Why not? You can also run Ghost 8 or Ghost 9 off of it. Or Acronis. Or
    several other backup programs. Just google bartpe nt5backup plugin

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    One more question regarding True Image.

    It seems that the license agreement requires one license per machine.
    This means that I would have to purchase 2 licenses for my desktop PC
    and my notebook - which would cost me as much as a Windows license.

    So ... Does TI include a hardware-related activation mechanism or
    "phone home" in one way or another?

    I do not want to imply that I plan on doing something illegal here, but
    purchasing this software twice just to back up a plain home system
    seems a bit much. So I might do a "perfect" default configuration on my
    Desktop PC, make an image, uninstall True Image and install it on the
    notebook to do the same there. I wonder if Acronis could live with this

    > >> I haven't played with BartPE yet but I expect you boot a BartPE CD and
    > >> run ntbackup off it. You shou be able to reimage your C drive from any
    > >> saveste, boot and go. You might have to do something to recreate the
    > >> MBR.
    > >
    > > I don't think you can boot a BartPE CD and run ntbackup off it.
    >
    > Why not?

    Because nt5backup plugin fails with BartPE CD.

    > You can also run Ghost 8 or Ghost 9 off of it. Or Acronis. Or
    > several other backup programs. Just google bartpe nt5backup plugin

    I know that Ghost 8 runs with BartPE. I have recommended to use
    Ghost32.exe which is part of Ghost enterprise versions (7.5, 8.0, 8.2).

    I don't know much about BartPE and Ghost 9 or BartPE and Acronis.
    I doubt they work reliably (if at all) from BartPE.

    > One more question regarding True Image.
    >
    > It seems that the license agreement requires one license per machine.
    > This means that I would have to purchase 2 licenses for my desktop PC
    > and my notebook - which would cost me as much as a Windows license.
    >
    > So ... Does TI include a hardware-related activation mechanism or
    > "phone home" in one way or another?
    >
    > I do not want to imply that I plan on doing something illegal here, but
    > purchasing this software twice just to back up a plain home system
    > seems a bit much. So I might do a "perfect" default configuration on my
    > Desktop PC, make an image, uninstall True Image and install it on the
    > notebook to do the same there. I wonder if Acronis could live with this

    Acronis license agreement says:
    "2. The Original Purchaser may use the Software on a single computer owned
    or leased by the
    Original Purchaser. You may not use the Software on more than a single
    machine even if you
    own or lease all of them without the written consent of Acronis."

    I suggest to give them a call to clarify your intended use of TI, before you
    make a purchase.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Peter wrote:

    >> > I don't think you can boot a BartPE CD and run ntbackup off it.
    >>
    >> Why not?
    >
    > Because nt5backup plugin fails with BartPE CD.

    The plugin for BartPE fails on BartPE? Have you asked the developer about
    this?

    >> You can also run Ghost 8 or Ghost 9 off of it. Or Acronis. Or
    >> several other backup programs. Just google bartpe nt5backup plugin
    >
    > I know that Ghost 8 runs with BartPE. I have recommended to use
    > Ghost32.exe which is part of Ghost enterprise versions (7.5, 8.0, 8.2).
    >
    > I don't know much about BartPE and Ghost 9 or BartPE and Acronis.
    > I doubt they work reliably (if at all) from BartPE.

    In point of fact Acronis provides the BartPE plugin directly. Right now
    they only provide it as a fix for folks who can't access their external
    drive from the Acronis CD but that might change. And the Ghost 9 plugin
    has been in test since October and from what I can tell seems to be pretty
    well debugged.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Ghost 2003 works fine for this. Comes with the latest version of Ghost
    on sale today.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    I would not trust any of the 'live' backup programs. How would they
    know, when a file is being modified every milisecond, which version at
    what time is the true, valid one to backup!?!

    You can't know for sure, and certainly can't prove that a true, working,
    100% perfect backup is being made of the system everytime you do this.

    Only real way is to start up from a boot disk, bypassing all writes to
    the HD in question, then run a backup program that'll image it off to
    another drive/cd off-line.

    ---

    Anyways, Ghost 2003 has worked perfectly for me to internal & external
    drives, and is reliable.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > I would not trust any of the 'live' backup programs. How would they
    > know, when a file is being modified every milisecond, which version at
    > what time is the true, valid one to backup!?!
    >
    > You can't know for sure, and certainly can't prove that a true, working,
    > 100% perfect backup is being made of the system everytime you do this.
    >
    > Only real way is to start up from a boot disk, bypassing all writes to
    > the HD in question, then run a backup program that'll image it off to
    > another drive/cd off-line.
    >
    > Anyways, Ghost 2003 has worked perfectly for me to internal & external
    > drives, and is reliable.

    That is why I have suggested to boot off CD with WinPE or
    Linux, then run a good imaging software.

    While Ghost2003 worked for you, it might not work with newer
    hardware which has poor or no support in DOS.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Ghost 2003 works fine for this. Comes with the latest version of Ghost
    > on sale today.

    ??, do you mean Ghost 2003 comes with Symantec Norton Ghost 9.0?
    I don't think so.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    David Winter <wintermute_101_nospam@yahoo.de> wrote in message

    > One more question regarding True Image.

    > It seems that the license agreement requires one license per machine.
    > This means that I would have to purchase 2 licenses for my desktop PC
    > and my notebook - which would cost me as much as a Windows license.

    I just ignore stupiditys like that.

    > So ... Does TI include a hardware-related activation
    > mechanism or "phone home" in one way or another?

    Nope.

    > I do not want to imply that I plan on doing something
    > illegal here, but purchasing this software twice just to
    > back up a plain home system seems a bit much.

    Yeah, my feeling entirely. Acronis can get stuffed.

    Symantec is even worse.

    > So I might do a "perfect" default configuration on my Desktop PC,
    > make an image, uninstall True Image and install it on the notebook
    > to do the same there. I wonder if Acronis could live with this...

    Who cares ?
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message

    > I would not trust any of the 'live' backup programs. How would they know,
    > when a file is being modified every milisecond, which version at what time is
    > the true, valid one to backup!?!

    It isnt hard to keep track of what got changed since it was
    included in the image and update the image with the changes.

    > You can't know for sure,

    Corse you can.

    > and certainly can't prove that a true, working, 100% perfect backup is being
    > made of the system everytime you do this.

    Corse its possible.

    > Only real way is to start up from a boot disk, bypassing all writes to the HD
    > in question, then run a backup program that'll image it off to another
    > drive/cd off-line.

    Thats just one way.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    >> Ghost 2003 works fine for this. Comes
    >> with the latest version of Ghost on sale today.

    > ??, do you mean Ghost 2003 comes with Symantec Norton Ghost 9.0?
    > I don't think so.

    Fraid so
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > >> Ghost 2003 works fine for this. Comes
    > >> with the latest version of Ghost on sale today.
    >
    > > ??, do you mean Ghost 2003 comes with Symantec Norton Ghost 9.0?
    > > I don't think so.
    >
    > Fraid so
    > http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html

    OK. It does. My mistake.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    >>I would not trust any of the 'live' backup programs. How would they know,
    >>when a file is being modified every milisecond, which version at what time is
    >>the true, valid one to backup!?!
    >
    > It isnt hard to keep track of what got changed since it was
    > included in the image and update the image with the changes.

    And at what point in time do you make the backup of a changing file?
    1us ago? 1us later? the current us? The problem here is that the
    entire system timing isn't 100% synchronized perfectly, so if you try to
    time-freeze a system at, let's say 12:00am exactly, some parts of the
    system can be in the middle of a write (let's say just started, hasn't
    completed), some parts can be in the middle of an erase (just started,
    hasn't completed), some parts have finished but that signal hasn't
    gotten back to the CPU yet (data written on the HD, is done, CPU doesn't
    have a clue), and some parts can be in the middle of finishing writing
    the very last bit of data to a file. (just one more bit left to write to
    the file system tables, then the file is complete).

    Now, if you start a backup right at 12:00am, you've got the problem
    where you're time stamping things at 12:00am - okay, you can backup
    what's written to the HD already but the CPU doesn't yet know about
    (because it's on the HD), you can't backup the files half-way done
    (because that's not even a file yet in the file system entry), and even
    the one file that has one more bit to go won't be backed up because the
    file system entry isn't complete.

    YET, if you're like any user, you'd have no clue that that OH SO
    VERY IMPORTANT file that has only 1 more bit to go isn't being backed up
    today because it's hasn't completed, so it's time stamp will fall after
    the backup start time. Heck, you can wiggle your mouse a little harder
    (get the CPU occupied a bit more) starting a backup and you could miss a
    few files just like that.

    What these backup programs never do is to tell the user what files
    were still in-process after the backup initiated so that the user will
    know what files were missed!!!!!

    What's the point of making a live backup when you assume what you're
    working on and saving will be backed up when it isn't? (And what's the
    point of doing 100% nothing with the sytstem during a live backup? when
    that's the point of a live backup? - that you can still use the system
    while it's making the backup?)

    You can't guarentee a 100% working, complete backup of a system will
    all files you want backed up intact w/o going to an offline backup. A
    live backup will always miss files in the process of being written to
    disk, and thus, miss those files important to you and the OS. (Heck, I
    can even be in the middle of hex editing my OS files during a backup and
    result in a system that won't start up again because I haven't finished
    writing the changes I made to the OS before the backup start timestamp
    is made!)

    ---

    You can always do an incremental afterwards, but as long as the
    drive/system is being modified in any way with any open files, you still
    can't backup those open files correctly. You can get into the case
    where the full first backup and all later incremental backups on a live
    system simply won't result in a working bootable system or backup of
    important files you've been editing because it never backs up at a time
    when the files are 'good' (ie. finished writing to disc completely).

    (Imagine a big GB database of patient records. You're in the middle
    of editing that database, so changes haven't all yet been made correctly
    - ie. saved - to the file. It's in the middle of saving. It'll be
    bypassed on the first backup. and as long as you're still modifying the
    database or simply saving to disk (since it's a GB sized database),
    it'll be missed time and time again until the write has been finished. -
    this can easily take hours/overnight on large databases, you know...)
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > In point of fact Acronis provides the BartPE plugin directly. Right
    now
    > they only provide it as a fix for folks who can't access their
    external
    > drive from the Acronis CD but that might change.

    Do you mean they do not offer the BartPE plugin officially but only on
    request when you tell them you're having problems? Is that the only way
    to get the BartPE plugin?

    Peter F.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote

    >>> I would not trust any of the 'live' backup programs. How would they know,
    >>> when a file is being modified every milisecond, which version at what time
    >>> is the true, valid one to backup!?!

    >> It isnt hard to keep track of what got changed since it was
    >> included in the image and update the image with the changes.

    > And at what point in time do you make the backup of a changing file? 1us ago?
    > 1us later? the current us?

    If you want the latest in the image file, you dont keep changing the file.

    It isnt rocket science.

    > The problem here is that the entire system timing isn't 100% synchronized
    > perfectly,

    It never can be with a changing file.

    If you want that, you need mirroring.

    > so if you try to time-freeze a system at, let's say 12:00am exactly, some
    > parts of the system can be in the middle of a write (let's say just started,
    > hasn't completed), some parts can be in the middle of an erase (just started,
    > hasn't completed), some parts have finished but that signal hasn't gotten back
    > to the CPU yet (data written on the HD, is done, CPU doesn't have a clue), and
    > some parts can be in the middle of finishing writing the very last bit of data
    > to a file. (just one more bit left to write to the file system tables, then
    > the file is complete).

    > Now, if you start a backup right at 12:00am, you've got the problem where
    > you're time stamping things at 12:00am - okay, you can backup what's written
    > to the HD already but the CPU doesn't yet know about (because it's on the HD),
    > you can't backup the files half-way done (because that's not even a file yet
    > in the file system entry), and even the one file that has one more bit to go
    > won't be backed up because the file system entry isn't complete.

    See above on mirroring.

    > YET, if you're like any user, you'd have no clue that that OH SO VERY
    > IMPORTANT file that has only 1 more bit to go isn't being backed up today
    > because it's hasn't completed, so it's time stamp will fall after the backup
    > start time. Heck, you can wiggle your mouse a little harder (get the CPU
    > occupied a bit more) starting a backup and you could miss a few files just
    > like that.

    The reality with desktop systems is that there wont be much
    going on at the time you do the incremental image at say 12am.

    It should obviously be scheduled for when
    there wont be anything much going on.

    If that isnt feasible, you need a mirror, not an image for backup.

    > What these backup programs never do is to tell the user what files were still
    > in-process after the backup initiated so that the user will know what files
    > were missed!!!!!

    They arent 'missed'

    > What's the point of making a live backup when you assume what you're working
    > on and saving will be backed up when it isn't?

    You do the image backup when it isnt changing.

    > (And what's the point of doing 100% nothing with the sytstem during a live
    > backup?

    An incremental image backup is a lot quicker than a full image
    creation at the dos level. So you may well choose to do one
    before doing an install or a significant reconfig etc.

    > when that's the point of a live backup? - that you can still use the system
    > while it's making the backup?)

    Thats just ONE point of a live backup.

    The other obvious advantage is that its better than now new backup.

    > You can't guarentee a 100% working, complete backup of a system will all files
    > you want backed up intact w/o going to an offline backup.

    Wrong. You just need to ensure that nothing
    that matters is happening during the live backup.

    > A live backup will always miss files in the process of being written to disk,
    > and thus, miss those files important to you and the OS.

    Wrong again. Modern live backup doesnt miss those files at all.

    > (Heck, I can even be in the middle of hex editing my OS files during a backup
    > and result in a system that won't start up again because I haven't finished
    > writing the changes I made to the OS before the backup start timestamp is
    > made!)

    Anyone with a clue realises that its not a triffic idea
    to be doing that sort of thing during a live backup.

    If you want protection during that sort of thing, you need a mirror.

    > ---

    > You can always do an incremental afterwards, but as long as the drive/system
    > is being modified in any way with any open files, you still can't backup those
    > open files correctly.

    Wrong again. You dont understand how modern
    live backup works. It backs up open files fine.

    > You can get into the case where the full first backup and all later
    > incremental backups on a live system simply won't result in a working bootable
    > system or backup of important files you've been editing because it never backs
    > up at a time when the files are 'good' (ie. finished writing to disc
    > completely).

    Wrong again. See above.

    > (Imagine a big GB database of patient records. You're in the middle of
    > editing that database, so changes haven't all yet been made correctly - ie.
    > saved - to the file. It's in the middle of saving. It'll be bypassed on the
    > first backup. and as long as you're still modifying the database or simply
    > saving to disk (since it's a GB sized database), it'll be missed time and time
    > again until the write has been finished. - this can easily take
    > hours/overnight on large databases, you know...)

    Utterly mangled. And thats a situation where you need mirroring anyway.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Peter Frank wrote:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> In point of fact Acronis provides the BartPE plugin directly. Right
    > now
    >> they only provide it as a fix for folks who can't access their
    > external
    >> drive from the Acronis CD but that might change.
    >
    > Do you mean they do not offer the BartPE plugin officially but only on
    > request when you tell them you're having problems? Is that the only way
    > to get the BartPE plugin?

    That is my understanding.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    In article <1114444756.135883.68450@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    wintermute_101_nospam@yahoo.de says...
    > I am looking for a reliable and affordable backup/imaging software that
    > will allow me to backup a partition from an internal harddrive (with
    > optional compression) to an external USB harddisk and restore the image
    > later with minimum fuss. The machines in question have no floppy
    > drives, so I probably need a software that can boot the PC from
    > CD-ROM/DVD and then find and restore the image from the external USB HD
    > (I assume that booting from a USB stick will not work with most PCs
    > ...).
    >
    > I have Drive Image 2002, but as it seems it will not let me restore
    > data from USB drives (or is there a way)?
    >
    > What do you guys suggest?
    >
    > Ghost? I heard quite some bitching about it.
    > TrueImage?
    > Something else?
    >
    > I need no fancy extras, just a reliable and easy-to-use imaging/restore
    > solution ...

    I use Drive Snapshot to backup "live" partitions and
    BartPE CD (or UBCD4WIN) to restore from an USB external HD.
    Simple, very small and very fast.

    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/