Getting past the supression device

I picked up Half-Life 2 again last night, I'd given up previously
because of instability and also because escaping from Nova Prospekt was
bloody hard. But rather than do a Paul Catley, I decided I was going to
try and finish the game. So, I'm playing on hard and have finally broken
out of prison - got rid of the snipers, but I've enountered the
"Supression Device" (you know the one that fires large beams from the
sky) and can't figure out where to go to get into the building. It's
probably obvious, but I'm finding it hard to find while dodging large
white beams with 8 hp....

Civilian_Target

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>I picked up Half-Life 2 again last night, I'd given up previously because
>of instability and also because escaping from Nova Prospekt was bloody
>hard. But rather than do a Paul Catley, I decided I was going to try and
>finish the game. So, I'm playing on hard and have finally broken out of
>prison - got rid of the snipers, but I've enountered the "Supression
>Device" (you know the one that fires large beams from the sky) and can't
>figure out where to go to get into the building. It's probably obvious, but
>I'm finding it hard to find while dodging large white beams with 8 hp....
>
> Civilian_Target

Door.....far end of cratered street

"Gingangooli" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> >I picked up Half-Life 2 again last night, I'd given up previously because
> >of instability and also because escaping from Nova Prospekt was bloody
> >hard. But rather than do a Paul Catley, I decided I was going to try and
> >finish the game. So, I'm playing on hard and have finally broken out of
> >prison - got rid of the snipers, but I've enountered the "Supression
> >Device" (you know the one that fires large beams from the sky) and can't
> >figure out where to go to get into the building. It's probably obvious,
but
> >I'm finding it hard to find while dodging large white beams with 8 hp....
> >
> > Civilian_Target
>

> Door.....far end of cratered street

Yep - You have to do an S shape through the craters. You're at the bottom
end of the S when you're first fired upon by the suppression device. It's
not hard because it doesn't lead its shots, but it is indiscriminate, so
with some backtracking, you can use it to take out combine.