Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adding a hard drive with XP on one running 98SE?

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2005 7:49:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
Thanks for listening, psongman
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2005 9:12:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi, well I don't think anyone is getting the gist of my needed
assistance. I want to add the new used hard drive alongside my smaller
Maxtor one, with Windows 98Se on it, and then do some file transfers,
eventually probably using Windows XP as it is much more stable for the
music work I am doing. So can I just add the second hard drive, let it
boot up from the old one, then do some transferring, etc.? Please keep
helping me in this upgrade, appreciated, Psongman
April 26, 2005 11:42:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
> it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
> running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
> Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
> assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
> Thanks for listening, psongman

Bad idea. You should not try to get in a posession of
MS software that way. Did you read their license agreement,
by the way?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 27, 2005 1:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

psongman <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114555784.117032.305390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

> I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows
> XP already on it. Now, I want to either add this to my
> old computer which is already running Windows 98SE

Thats fine.

> or to one I can get with no OS.

No need.

> I searched the Googling archives but can't seem
> to find a definitive answer. Please assist me in this
> quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.

Just wipe the XP off the drive you got off ebay.
You do that by formatting it. Just be sure you
are formatting the new drive, not the old one.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 27, 2005 4:23:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

psongman <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1114560759.635087.189240@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Hi, well I don't think anyone is getting the gist of my needed assistance.

Yeah, your original wasnt the clearest I have ever seen.

> I want to add the new used hard drive alongside my smaller
> Maxtor one, with Windows 98Se on it, and then do some file
> transfers, eventually probably using Windows XP as it is
> much more stable for the music work I am doing.

OK, that wasnt clear in your original.

> So can I just add the second hard drive, let it boot
> up from the old one, then do some transferring, etc.?

How well that will work depends on how the new drive has
been formatted. If its formatted FAT32, you will be able to
do what you want. If its formatted NTFS, and thats most
likely, you wont be able to see its contents from SE.

You may well not be able to use XP later either. When
the motherboard etc is different enough to the one that
was used to install XP on that drive, you will need to repair
the XP install on the drive, and you will need to have the
XP CD to do that. You dont appear to have the XP CD.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2005 1:14:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> How well that will work depends on how the new drive has
> been formatted. If its formatted FAT32, you will be able to
> do what you want. If its formatted NTFS, and thats most
> likely, you wont be able to see its contents from SE.

But, if it is formatted in NTFS you should be able to "see" the contents
of the FAT32 drive. In other words, if you wanted to transfer your old
data to the new drive, just boot up XP and copy the files over. But, as
Rod mentioned, you probably won't be able to boot to 98 and do the reverse.

All that being said, I'd agree with Peter. I don't know all the details
of your transaction, but it could very likely be considered an illegal
version of Windows XP. And if you didn't get the XP CD, you better make
a back-up image of your new drive in case any XP system files get
damaged/corrupted or you have any other serious issues.

//Kevin
>
> You may well not be able to use XP later either. When
> the motherboard etc is different enough to the one that
> was used to install XP on that drive, you will need to repair
> the XP install on the drive, and you will need to have the
> XP CD to do that. You dont appear to have the XP CD.
>
>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 28, 2005 4:41:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Kevin Buffardi <kevin.buffardi@email.com> wrote in message
news:42704709$0$79458$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...

>> How well that will work depends on how the new drive has
>> been formatted. If its formatted FAT32, you will be able to
>> do what you want. If its formatted NTFS, and thats most
>> likely, you wont be able to see its contents from SE.

> But, if it is formatted in NTFS you should be able to "see" the contents of
> the FAT32 drive.

Not when SE is the OS booted.

> In other words, if you wanted to transfer your old data to the new drive, just
> boot up XP and copy the files over.

He wanted to boot SE initially.

> But, as Rod mentioned, you probably won't be able to boot to 98 and do the
> reverse.

> All that being said, I'd agree with Peter. I don't know all the details of
> your transaction, but it could very likely be considered an illegal version of
> Windows XP.

Doesnt matter a damn what MS 'considers'

> And if you didn't get the XP CD, you better make a back-up image of your new
> drive in case any XP system files get damaged/corrupted or you have any other
> serious issues.

>> You may well not be able to use XP later either. When
>> the motherboard etc is different enough to the one that
>> was used to install XP on that drive, you will need to repair
>> the XP install on the drive, and you will need to have the
>> XP CD to do that. You dont appear to have the XP CD.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 6, 2005 10:08:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <1114555784.117032.305390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
> it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
> running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
> Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
> assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
> Thanks for listening, psongman



Windows XP generates a hardware hash of ten system components present on
the original computer at the point at which it was activated. When it
boots it polls to see if the hardware has changed and if it has changed
substantially it will force you to reactivate. Since this drive
originated in a different system it will most likely fail this step. If
you have access to the original XP license you will be legally allowed
to reactivate. Getting a modern OS is a small price to pay for its
convenience:

I am at a University and because of campus licencing I have full legal
access to XP for very low dollars. I bought a copy but I did not put it
on even though it was essentially free because I did not want to deal
with product activation numerous updates & other concerns etc. I
recently put it on and am amazed at how well my system behaves. For
example, I can record video (TV) on an ATI All in wonder Radeon and keep
a live internet connection (dial up), update virus definitions and not
drop a single frame!! This is on a lowly Athlon 850 with AIW Radeon
9600XT and 649 MB ram. In 98SE on the same system I would drop frames
in a similar scenario. Clearly, the OS is managing the multitasking
environment very well. Given this knowledge I would be happy to pay
full retail for XP and kicking myself for not making the switch earlier.

Roland
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 7, 2005 4:28:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Joe Doe" <None@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
news:None-451081.18080606052005@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu...
> In article <1114555784.117032.305390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
>> it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
>> running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
>> Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
>> assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
>> Thanks for listening, psongman
>
>
>
> Windows XP generates a hardware hash of ten system components present on
> the original computer at the point at which it was activated. When it
> boots it polls to see if the hardware has changed and if it has changed
> substantially it will force you to reactivate. Since this drive
> originated in a different system it will most likely fail this step. If
> you have access to the original XP license you will be legally allowed
> to reactivate. Getting a modern OS is a small price to pay for its
> convenience:
>
> I am at a University and because of campus licencing I have full legal
> access to XP for very low dollars. I bought a copy but I did not put it
> on even though it was essentially free because I did not want to deal
> with product activation numerous updates & other concerns etc.

The particular XP you can get a license for
cheaply may not even require activation.

> I recently put it on and am amazed at how well my system
> behaves. For example, I can record video (TV) on an ATI
> All in wonder Radeon and keep a live internet connection
> (dial up), update virus definitions and not drop a single frame!!

Yeah, I do that every evening, digital TV to hard drive.

> This is on a lowly Athlon 850 with AIW Radeon 9600XT and 649 MB
> ram. In 98SE on the same system I would drop frames in a similar
> scenario. Clearly, the OS is managing the multitasking environment
> very well. Given this knowledge I would be happy to pay full retail
> for XP and kicking myself for not making the switch earlier.

Yeah, I've had no regrets and even run it on the dinosaur in the kitchen.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 8, 2005 1:12:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <3e2ne9Fsok6U1@individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >
> > I am at a University and because of campus licencing I have full legal
> > access to XP for very low dollars. I bought a copy but I did not put it
> > on even though it was essentially free because I did not want to deal
> > with product activation numerous updates & other concerns etc.
>
> The particular XP you can get a license for
> cheaply may not even require activation.


Initially staff and faculty got a volume license & students had
individually keyed licenses. Of course these licenses are very valuable
to pirates and so Microsoft got wise and now any home use computer has
an individually keyed license. Departmental use computers still have
volume licenses. Students get to keep their licenses when they leave,
faculty/staff theoretically have to return a home use license if they
leave.

I had the unhappy experience of installing activating and then
immediately hosing my machine through a combination of software and user
error. I had to format and reinstall and had to call Microsoft to
reactivate.

Roland
!