Adding a hard drive with XP on one running 98SE?

Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
Thanks for listening, psongman
9 answers Last reply
More about adding hard drive running 98se

    Hi, well I don't think anyone is getting the gist of my needed
    assistance. I want to add the new used hard drive alongside my smaller
    Maxtor one, with Windows 98Se on it, and then do some file transfers,
    eventually probably using Windows XP as it is much more stable for the
    music work I am doing. So can I just add the second hard drive, let it
    boot up from the old one, then do some transferring, etc.? Please keep
    helping me in this upgrade, appreciated, Psongman

    > Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
    > it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
    > running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
    > Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
    > assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
    > Thanks for listening, psongman

    Bad idea. You should not try to get in a posession of
    MS software that way. Did you read their license agreement,
    by the way?

    psongman <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows
    > XP already on it. Now, I want to either add this to my
    > old computer which is already running Windows 98SE

    Thats fine.

    > or to one I can get with no OS.

    No need.

    > I searched the Googling archives but can't seem
    > to find a definitive answer. Please assist me in this
    > quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.

    Just wipe the XP off the drive you got off ebay.
    You do that by formatting it. Just be sure you
    are formatting the new drive, not the old one.

    > Hi, well I don't think anyone is getting the gist of my needed assistance.

    Yeah, your original wasnt the clearest I have ever seen.

    > I want to add the new used hard drive alongside my smaller
    > Maxtor one, with Windows 98Se on it, and then do some file
    > transfers, eventually probably using Windows XP as it is
    > much more stable for the music work I am doing.

    OK, that wasnt clear in your original.

    > So can I just add the second hard drive, let it boot
    > up from the old one, then do some transferring, etc.?

    How well that will work depends on how the new drive has
    been formatted. If its formatted FAT32, you will be able to
    do what you want. If its formatted NTFS, and thats most
    likely, you wont be able to see its contents from SE.

    You may well not be able to use XP later either. When
    the motherboard etc is different enough to the one that
    was used to install XP on that drive, you will need to repair
    the XP install on the drive, and you will need to have the
    XP CD to do that. You dont appear to have the XP CD.

    > How well that will work depends on how the new drive has
    > been formatted. If its formatted FAT32, you will be able to
    > do what you want. If its formatted NTFS, and thats most
    > likely, you wont be able to see its contents from SE.

    But, if it is formatted in NTFS you should be able to "see" the contents
    of the FAT32 drive. In other words, if you wanted to transfer your old
    data to the new drive, just boot up XP and copy the files over. But, as
    Rod mentioned, you probably won't be able to boot to 98 and do the reverse.

    All that being said, I'd agree with Peter. I don't know all the details
    of your transaction, but it could very likely be considered an illegal
    version of Windows XP. And if you didn't get the XP CD, you better make
    a back-up image of your new drive in case any XP system files get
    damaged/corrupted or you have any other serious issues.

    //Kevin

    Kevin Buffardi <kevin.buffardi@email.com> wrote in message

    >> How well that will work depends on how the new drive has
    >> been formatted. If its formatted FAT32, you will be able to
    >> do what you want. If its formatted NTFS, and thats most
    >> likely, you wont be able to see its contents from SE.

    > But, if it is formatted in NTFS you should be able to "see" the contents of
    > the FAT32 drive.

    Not when SE is the OS booted.

    > In other words, if you wanted to transfer your old data to the new drive, just
    > boot up XP and copy the files over.

    He wanted to boot SE initially.

    > But, as Rod mentioned, you probably won't be able to boot to 98 and do the
    > reverse.

    > All that being said, I'd agree with Peter. I don't know all the details of
    > your transaction, but it could very likely be considered an illegal version of
    > Windows XP.

    Doesnt matter a damn what MS 'considers'

    In article <1114555784.117032.305390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
    > it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
    > running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
    > Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
    > assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
    > Thanks for listening, psongman

    Windows XP generates a hardware hash of ten system components present on
    the original computer at the point at which it was activated. When it
    boots it polls to see if the hardware has changed and if it has changed
    substantially it will force you to reactivate. Since this drive
    originated in a different system it will most likely fail this step. If
    you have access to the original XP license you will be legally allowed
    to reactivate. Getting a modern OS is a small price to pay for its
    convenience:

    I am at a University and because of campus licencing I have full legal
    access to XP for very low dollars. I bought a copy but I did not put it
    on even though it was essentially free because I did not want to deal
    with product activation numerous updates & other concerns etc. I
    recently put it on and am amazed at how well my system behaves. For
    example, I can record video (TV) on an ATI All in wonder Radeon and keep
    a live internet connection (dial up), update virus definitions and not
    drop a single frame!! This is on a lowly Athlon 850 with AIW Radeon
    9600XT and 649 MB ram. In 98SE on the same system I would drop frames
    in a similar scenario. Clearly, the OS is managing the multitasking
    environment very well. Given this knowledge I would be happy to pay
    full retail for XP and kicking myself for not making the switch earlier.

    Roland

    "Joe Doe" <None@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in message
    > In article <1114555784.117032.305390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    > "psongman" <psongman@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I just bought a WD hard drive on ebay with Windows XP already on
    >> it. Now, I want to either add this to my old computer which is already
    >> running Windows 98SE or to one I can get with no OS. I searched the
    >> Googling archives but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Please
    >> assist me in this quest, so I can be up and running by the weekend.
    >> Thanks for listening, psongman
    >

    > Windows XP generates a hardware hash of ten system components present on
    > the original computer at the point at which it was activated. When it
    > boots it polls to see if the hardware has changed and if it has changed
    > substantially it will force you to reactivate. Since this drive
    > originated in a different system it will most likely fail this step. If
    > you have access to the original XP license you will be legally allowed
    > to reactivate. Getting a modern OS is a small price to pay for its
    > convenience:
    >
    > I am at a University and because of campus licencing I have full legal
    > access to XP for very low dollars. I bought a copy but I did not put it
    > on even though it was essentially free because I did not want to deal
    > with product activation numerous updates & other concerns etc.

    The particular XP you can get a license for
    cheaply may not even require activation.

    > I recently put it on and am amazed at how well my system
    > behaves. For example, I can record video (TV) on an ATI
    > All in wonder Radeon and keep a live internet connection
    > (dial up), update virus definitions and not drop a single frame!!

    Yeah, I do that every evening, digital TV to hard drive.

    > This is on a lowly Athlon 850 with AIW Radeon 9600XT and 649 MB
    > ram. In 98SE on the same system I would drop frames in a similar
    > scenario. Clearly, the OS is managing the multitasking environment
    > very well. Given this knowledge I would be happy to pay full retail
    > for XP and kicking myself for not making the switch earlier.

    Yeah, I've had no regrets and even run it on the dinosaur in the kitchen.

    In article <3e2ne9Fsok6U1@individual.net>,
    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > > I am at a University and because of campus licencing I have full legal
    > > access to XP for very low dollars. I bought a copy but I did not put it
    > > on even though it was essentially free because I did not want to deal
    > > with product activation numerous updates & other concerns etc.
    >
    > The particular XP you can get a license for
    > cheaply may not even require activation.

    Initially staff and faculty got a volume license & students had
    individually keyed licenses. Of course these licenses are very valuable
    to pirates and so Microsoft got wise and now any home use computer has
    an individually keyed license. Departmental use computers still have
    volume licenses. Students get to keep their licenses when they leave,
    faculty/staff theoretically have to return a home use license if they
    leave.

    I had the unhappy experience of installing activating and then
    immediately hosing my machine through a combination of software and user
    error. I had to format and reinstall and had to call Microsoft to
    reactivate.

    Roland

Hard Drives Windows XP Storage