spb2port event ID 9 in W2K, Firewire, SBP-2

Recently I've been attempting to setup a backup system using Retrospect
and Firewire hard drives. The initial (and recycle) backups take many
hours. I've been experiencing frequent OS hangs where nothing
responds, not even alt-ctl-DELETE.

After rebooting, the event viewer shows several events, sbp2port event
9, and event 26 (Windows - Delayed Write Failed). The closest thing I
can find on MS Support Knowledge Base is KB 885464 "SBP-2 drive stops
responding when you try to write data in Windows XP", which sounds
exactly like my problem -- but I'm running W2K. I can't find a W2K
version of this fix.

I've tried different p1394 drives, different Firewire cards, F400 and
F800, different cables - but the hangs still occur.

I suspect an undeclared Windows driver bug.

At this point I'm going to try USB 2.0 (the drives I'm using are
fortunately LaCie Triple Interface), hoping that this involves
different driver code.

Retrospect for Windows is kind of rough around the edges, so perhaps
it's the cause, but the errors and hangs seem too severe to be
application level. I've made an attempt to recreate the problem using
software other than RS, but the bug is probably sensitive to load and
software timing.

It's inconvenient to move the experiment to another PC, so I haven't
ruled out motherboard problems, but I'd be surprised if that turns out
to be the case.

I'm wondering if any others have had similar problems?

The delayed write error is caused by the 1394 device when it gets a large IO
request. The firmware crashes and no longer responds. This is not a Windows
bug.

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d4r6f302hd0@enews4.newsguy.com
> The delayed write error is caused by the 1394 device when it gets a large IO
> request. The firmware crashes and no longer responds.

> This is not a Windows bug.

It is in how it responds to that crash bug.
It should recover from it.

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The delayed write error is caused by the 1394 device when it gets a large
IO
> > request. The firmware crashes and no longer responds.
>
> > This is not a Windows bug.
>
> It is in how it responds to that crash bug.
> It should recover from it.

My system crashes whenever I pull the power on a hard drive.

On the other hand, pulling the power on USB drives recovers.