Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I captured video from my camcorder using Intervideo s/w. I've found the
Intervideo s/w hard to use and unreliable for editing. I'm trying to import
the video (mpg) into movie maker but I get an error message about the codec:
".mpg cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not
installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install
the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the
file again."
Does this mean I need to re-capture the camcorder video with movie maker?
Windows media player can play the video.
Thanks in advance for any help.

mpeg is not a good file type to edit and MM doesn't work well with them as
you have found. It would be best to start again and use dv-avi as the
captured file type, using firewire as the connection method.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
"Randy" <Randy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I captured video from my camcorder using Intervideo s/w. I've found the
> Intervideo s/w hard to use and unreliable for editing. I'm trying to
import
> the video (mpg) into movie maker but I get an error message about the
codec:
> ".mpg cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is
not
> installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and
install
> the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import
the
> file again."
> Does this mean I need to re-capture the camcorder video with movie maker?
> Windows media player can play the video.
> Thanks in advance for any help.

Why does the import file dialog show a *.mpg type?