Sign in with
Your question

framerate in Vice City is sometimes choppy.

Last response: in Video Games
March 10, 2004 8:45:43 PM

I just got Grand Theft Auto Vice City and it gets choppy sometimes on me. Here are my specs

Radeon 9700 pro
Audigy 2 zs platinum pro
768 mb of ram
1.60 GHZ
52x max cd rom

I'm running the game at max graphics. What is causing the choppy framerate sometimes? I think it's the radio in the game. Do I need the cd to run the radio? Or can I set it so that the radio plays without the cd?

I hope I don't have to reinstall. If I have to is there a way to keep my saved game and place it back in the game when it's reinstalled?
March 10, 2004 11:50:02 PM

Try updating your video/audio drivers, and gta3vc updates as well. I'm not 100% sure about needing the cd, but you can always get a no-cd crack... I'm pretty sure that you do not need the cd for the radio. With that being said, I do not think that it is the radio which is causing problems. The best way to prove that theory is to either leave the CD out, or just watch the LED during lag-time to see if the CD is spinning up while you lag.
March 11, 2004 1:35:32 AM

It's the radio because when it starts to get choppy I can hear the cd spine. I will try the no-cd crack. What is the name of the GTA VC update?
Related resources
March 11, 2004 2:06:28 PM

Your processor might be holding you back a bit, especially if thats a 1.6Ghz P4. Apart from that I would try the No-CD Crack and see if it is being caused by excessive Cd reads.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7454540" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
March 11, 2004 5:59:15 PM

I downloaded the no-cd patch. Is that the same? If it is I don't know how to install it. I extracted it then I clicked on the folder. An icon is in there. What do I do with it? When I double click on it it says:

"This application has failed to start becausee mxx32.dll was not found. Re-install the application may fix the problem".

I deleted the folder and the download. Then downloaded it again double clicked on that icon, same message appears.

How can I install this patch? If I can't can someone link me to a no-cd patch/crack please?
March 12, 2004 1:10:47 PM

Yes, replace the current .exe dont double click it cause the no cd patch is the executable to run the game. Just copy and paste the patch into the folder where vice city is installed. if done right you should get the overwrite file window, click yes and you should be good to go.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with ithcy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger
March 13, 2004 6:23:53 PM

I can't find a cheat to get more money in vice city. I'm tired of going back and forth all the time. Can someone give me a cheat to get more money. I want to enter a password that makes my money increase.

What happens when all the hidden packages are found?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 03/14/04 05:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 29, 2004 3:38:12 PM

You may want to try changing the audio setup so that it uses Miles 2d or something. Well, I did that on GTA 3 and it helped loads. Also, put frame limiter on, that may help regulate your FPS.
p.s. sorry if this doesnt apply to Vice City (I dont have it) :( 
hope it helps tho.
:) 

Radeon 9800 Pro IceQ
AMD Athlon XP 1800
512 SDRAM
Shuttle AK32 Mainboard
Win XP
March 30, 2004 6:46:52 PM

GTAIII or VC run poorly on most pcs, simply because they're direct ports from the ps2, and it might only be a 300mhz proccessor, but if a game is unoptimised for pc, you're basically running an emulator - and we all know that even SNES emulators take a lot of proccessing power.

Your cpu is holding your pc back, as is your ram. But as said above setting frame limiter helps a lot, as does switching off trails.

XP2000, 512 ddr 2700ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro
March 30, 2004 7:16:54 PM

Another case of a lazy port! make sure the frame limiter is on as framerate tends to vary wildy if its not on, even on high spec machines. also D/L latest patch etc and update drivers. Make sure all uneccessary applications are closed b4 running the game.

<i>Mmmm Dawn AND Eve at the same time...Drroooooll
-------------------------------------------------
<b>XP2800 Barton, 2x512Mb PC2700, ASUS A7N8X, Hercules 9800Pro 128Mb. :cool:
April 1, 2004 11:36:16 PM

yes, friend it is the radio!! I have the same problem. I've tried literlly every CD-crack, fixed Exe out there and the game still requires the cd in the drive to even start. Then there are times in the game, usually within first 5 minutes that my CD rom spins up and the game will LITERALLY freeze. Sometimes up to 10 freakin seconds!! Not choppy, not sluggish...but a complete freeze! My CD-rom blows so I know it is this that is causing it. My beefy system (P4 3.0@3.5, 1GB PC4000 DDR, Hercules 9800XT, Audigy 2, 160GB SATA 150) has no problems running other games at all. It is the cd-rom, bro. Try getting some software that will emulate your cd-rom. this should help.
!