cheap USB ethernet or a bit expensive PCI based?

midi_amp

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2002
an ISP at my hometown is offering approximately US$ 180 for a new cable instalation, the package includes one month subscription, a choice of Zyxel or Motorolla cable modem, registration, and a free instalation

my deepest concerns are the modems, does USB modems performs better or worse? because another ISP offering standard instalation with the usual RJ45 at approximately US$ 250 ... and I have very limited budget (going to buy that XMS mem modules)

thank you in advance

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
usb modems are more cpu intensive that is they use more cycles in general than a nic based modem

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

midi_amp

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2002
so it's recommended or not? I won't be playing multiplayer games anyway, just basic downloading, browsing, etc

how about bandwith? I need to download heavy files for my study (photography), high res images are a must, will the usb modems handles downloads the same as the "old" standards?

I'm too new on this stuff

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
it is my opinion that you would be better of with a nic based setup

<b><font color=blue>Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most </b></font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
usb is limited to 1.1 mbits. if your internet connection is capable of more than that, you still wont see higher than 1.1. also if down the road you want to add another computer to the same internet connection, you wont be able to use it with a router.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

DanielR

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
In my opinion NIC based is the wiser choice because of the options like home networking and the fact that USB is way more processor intensive. It seems for your needs that you would probably never notice the difference.
I find it strange that they only offer USB modems though, it really shouldn't cost anymore other than the NIC which should cost you less than 50 bucks. See if you can buy your own NIC and get them to install it for you.

who ever has the most ram when they die wins!

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is better to use RJ45. A PCI NIC will offer better performance and RJ45 connection on the modem is more flexible. If you need to share the internet in the future you can just connect the modem to a hardware router. You can not do that with a USB modem.

midi_amp

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2002
this is going to be hard, I do have plans for sharing, but the cost for a standard installation (not the special price) balloon to US$300 approx...

guess I'll have to use my 56k a month or two more, untill I can afford RJ connections... sigh...

thanks for the help