possible to assign drive letter A to HDD ?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 29, 2005 2:28:22 PM

who knows ?
is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
require floppy ?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 29, 2005 3:06:45 PM

You can do this with QSoft's ramdisk. I set mine to B:, but forget whether
the property sheet does this or you need to use regedit.

However, it shows up as Local Disk not Floppy Disk:
b: = \Device\Ramdisk
Media=Fixed, Sector=512B, Cylinders=8, Heads=2, Sectors=32, Total=256KB

"openmind.desk.pl" <80662270a@gazeta-dot-pl.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> who knows ?
> is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
> require floppy ?

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 29, 2005 5:18:15 PM

On 2005-04-29 12:28, openmind.desk.pl wrote:
> who knows ?
> is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
> require floppy ?

I guess it depends on what level the floppy access is done.
(I assume you use a windows based pc.)

There used to be a dos command SUBST that could make a driveletter
redirect to a directory but I haven't seen it in the later windows versions.

I think ASSIGN will change driveletters only, unless the program has
changed lately.

If you actually need to access floppy drive geometry, I don't know.

/Rolf
a b G Storage
April 29, 2005 5:18:16 PM

Rolf Blom wrote:

> On 2005-04-29 12:28, openmind.desk.pl wrote:
>> who knows ?
>> is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
>> require floppy ?
>>

> I guess it depends on what level the floppy access is done.
> (I assume you use a windows based pc.)
>
> There used to be a dos command SUBST that could make a driveletter
> redirect to a directory but I haven't seen it in the later windows
> versions.

SUBST is present in Server 2003 and works fine, but it will not use a drive
letter that is already assigned to a device.

> I think ASSIGN will change driveletters only, unless the program has
> changed lately.

I don't believe that ASSIGN exists in any of the NT-derived Windows
variants.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

> who knows ?
> is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
> require floppy ?

VMware and alike give the best emulation.
But, which programs do you need it for?

Maybe SUBST or ramdrive are good enough?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 1, 2005 1:31:02 PM

subst works fine for me

thank you very much, you really helped me

best regards, Piotr
!