possible to assign drive letter A to HDD ?

who knows ?
is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
require floppy ?
5 answers Last reply
More about possible assign drive letter

    You can do this with QSoft's ramdisk. I set mine to B:, but forget whether
    the property sheet does this or you need to use regedit.

    However, it shows up as Local Disk not Floppy Disk:
    b: = \Device\Ramdisk
    Media=Fixed, Sector=512B, Cylinders=8, Heads=2, Sectors=32, Total=256KB

    On 2005-04-29 12:28, openmind.desk.pl wrote:
    > who knows ?
    > is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
    > require floppy ?

    I guess it depends on what level the floppy access is done.
    (I assume you use a windows based pc.)

    There used to be a dos command SUBST that could make a driveletter
    redirect to a directory but I haven't seen it in the later windows versions.

    I think ASSIGN will change driveletters only, unless the program has
    changed lately.

    If you actually need to access floppy drive geometry, I don't know.

    /Rolf

    Rolf Blom wrote:

    > On 2005-04-29 12:28, openmind.desk.pl wrote:
    >> who knows ?
    >> is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
    >> require floppy ?
    >>

    > I guess it depends on what level the floppy access is done.
    > (I assume you use a windows based pc.)
    >
    > There used to be a dos command SUBST that could make a driveletter
    > redirect to a directory but I haven't seen it in the later windows
    > versions.

    SUBST is present in Server 2003 and works fine, but it will not use a drive
    letter that is already assigned to a device.

    > I think ASSIGN will change driveletters only, unless the program has
    > changed lately.

    I don't believe that ASSIGN exists in any of the NT-derived Windows
    variants.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    > who knows ?
    > is there a solution fo virtual floppy based on HDD for programms that
    > require floppy ?

    VMware and alike give the best emulation.
    But, which programs do you need it for?

    Maybe SUBST or ramdrive are good enough?

    subst works fine for me

    thank you very much, you really helped me

    best regards, Piotr

Floppy Disk Hard Drives Storage