trying to transfer media from old pc to new external hd but.

im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on an old pc to a new
external 250gb hd i bought, but i get a message telling me that the
port im using is a low speed usb port and i need a high speed usb
port. anyone know how i can fix this? or what other options i have to
transfer the media? the cd drive is pretty messed up so i don’t know
if it works anymore.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-transfer-media-external-hd-ftopict55042.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=276130
8 answers Last reply
More about trying transfer media external

    Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

    > im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on an old pc to a new
    > external 250gb hd i bought, but i get a message telling me that the
    > port im using is a low speed usb port and i need a high speed usb port.

    It isnt actually saying that you NEED a high speed
    usb port, just that it will be rather slow without one.

    > anyone know how i can fix this?

    Add a USB 2 port with a PCI card.

    > or what other options i have to transfer the media?

    Do it slowly on the existing usb port.

    "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on an old pc to a
    > new
    > > external 250gb hd i bought, but i get a message telling me
    > that the
    > > port im using is a low speed usb port and i need a high
    > speed usb port.
    >
    > It isnt actually saying that you NEED a high speed
    > usb port, just that it will be rather slow without one.
    >
    > > anyone know how i can fix this?
    >
    > Add a USB 2 port with a PCI card.
    >
    > > or what other options i have to transfer the media?
    >
    > Do it slowly on the existing usb port.
    >
    > > the cd drive is pretty messed up so i don’t know if it works
    > anymore.

    but the hard drive dosen’t show up in My computer but it does on other
    computers, any ideas?

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-transfer-media-external-hd-ftopict55042.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=276158

    Previously Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@hardwareforumz.com> wrote:
    > im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on an old pc to a new
    > external 250gb hd i bought, but i get a message telling me that the
    > port im using is a low speed usb port and i need a high speed usb
    > port.

    That is rather strange. USB2 should be fully backwards compatible.
    Unless it is a software lock-out (i.e. marketing tries to force
    you to get new hardware or some one really messed up in the design of
    the external drives interface), there is no reason why you should be
    unable to use low speed.

    > anyone know how i can fix this? or what other options i have to
    > transfer the media? the cd drive is pretty messed up so i don’t know
    > if it works anymore.

    Depending on the amount of data, you could use a flash-drive. You could
    also try to move the HDD from the old computer to another one. If
    you have some familarity with Linux/Unix, you could try to boot the
    old computer with Knoppix and see whether its drivers work with the
    external HDD. You could also try to establish a TCP/IP connection
    to another computer (ethernet-cards are pretty cheap) and transfer
    the data with FTP or the like.

    Arno

    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote

    >>> im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on an old pc to
    >>> a new external 250gb hd i bought, but i get a message
    >>> telling me that the port im using is a low speed usb port
    >>> and i need a high speed usb port.

    >> It isnt actually saying that you NEED a high speed
    >> usb port, just that it will be rather slow without one.

    >>> anyone know how i can fix this?

    >> Add a USB 2 port with a PCI card.

    >>> or what other options i have to transfer the media?

    >> Do it slowly on the existing usb port.

    >>> the cd drive is pretty messed up
    >>> so i don’t know if it works anymore.

    > but the hard drive dosen’t show up in My computer
    > but it does on other computers, any ideas?

    OK, two main possibilitys if you see that.

    The external drive may not be getting enough power with the
    old pc, particularly if the drive is being powered from the usb
    port. If its got an optional external power wall wart, use it and
    see if that fixes the problem that it cant be seen in my computer.

    Its quite likely that the old pc isnt running XP. If it isnt, it may be
    that the driver isnt happy with the external drive. When you use
    the drive on other PC, they may be running XP and its happy
    with the drive because XP's driver is being used for the drive.

    "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > Rod Speed wrote
    >  >> Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    > wrote
    >
    >   >>> im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on an
    > old pc to
    >   >>> a new external 250gb hd i bought, but i get a
    > message
    >   >>> telling me that the port im using is a low
    > speed usb port
    >   >>> and i need a high speed usb port.
    >
    >  >> It isnt actually saying that you NEED a high speed
    >  >> usb port, just that it will be rather slow without
    > one.
    >
    >   >>> anyone know how i can fix this?
    >
    >  >> Add a USB 2 port with a PCI card.
    >
    >   >>> or what other options i have to transfer the
    > media?
    >
    >  >> Do it slowly on the existing usb port.
    >
    >   >>> the cd drive is pretty messed up
    >   >>> so i don’t know if it works anymore.
    >
    > > but the hard drive dosen’t show up in My computer
    > > but it does on other computers, any ideas?
    >
    > OK, two main possibilitys if you see that.
    >
    > The external drive may not be getting enough power with the
    > old pc, particularly if the drive is being powered from the
    > usb
    > port. If its got an optional external power wall wart, use it
    > and
    > see if that fixes the problem that it cant be seen in my
    > computer.
    >
    > Its quite likely that the old pc isnt running XP. If it isnt,
    > it may be
    > that the driver isnt happy with the external drive. When you
    > use
    > the drive on other PC, they may be running XP and its happy
    > with the drive because XP's driver is being used for the
    > drive.

    the hard drive is using it’s own adapter that connects to a wall
    socket for power, and although the computer is old it still has XP
    installed.

    thanks anyways but the problem remains

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-transfer-media-external-hd-ftopict55042.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=276353

    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> but the hard drive dosen’t show up in My computer
    >>> but it does on other computers, any ideas?

    >> OK, two main possibilitys if you see that.

    >> The external drive may not be getting enough power
    >> with the old pc, particularly if the drive is being powered
    >> from the usb port. If its got an optional external power
    >> wall wart, use it and see if that fixes the problem that
    >> it cant be seen in my computer.

    >> Its quite likely that the old pc isnt running XP. If it isnt,
    >> it may be that the driver isnt happy with the external
    >> drive. When you use the drive on other PC, they may
    >> be running XP and its happy with the drive because
    >> XP's driver is being used for the drive.

    > the hard drive is using it’s own adapter that connects
    > to a wall socket for power, and although the computer
    > is old it still has XP installed.

    Did you install drivers for the drive ? You dont need to with XP.

    > thanks anyways but the problem remains

    Maybe it still gets some power, say for the electronics,
    from the USB port and there isnt enough with the old PC
    if you didnt install a driver with XP.

    "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > Rod Speed wrote
    >  >> Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    > wrote
    >   >>> Rod Speed wrote
    >   >>>> Migeru
    > <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote
    >
    >   >>>>> im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on
    > an old pc to
    >   >>>>> a new external 250gb hd i bought, but i get
    > a message
    >   >>>>> telling me that the port im using is a low
    > speed usb port
    >   >>>>> and i need a high speed usb port.
    >
    >   >>>> It isnt actually saying that you NEED a high
    > speed
    >   >>>> usb port, just that it will be rather slow
    > without one.
    >
    >   >>>>> anyone know how i can fix this?
    >
    >   >>>> Add a USB 2 port with a PCI card.
    >
    >   >>>>> or what other options i have to transfer the
    > media?
    >
    >   >>>> Do it slowly on the existing usb port.
    >
    >   >>>>> the cd drive is pretty messed up
    >   >>>>> so i don’t know if it works anymore.
    >
    >   >>> but the hard drive dosen’t show up in My
    > computer
    >   >>> but it does on other computers, any ideas?
    >
    >  >> OK, two main possibilitys if you see that.
    >
    >  >> The external drive may not be getting enough power
    >  >> with the old pc, particularly if the drive is being
    > powered
    >  >> from the usb port. If its got an optional external
    > power
    >  >> wall wart, use it and see if that fixes the problem
    > that
    >  >> it cant be seen in my computer.
    >
    >  >> Its quite likely that the old pc isnt running XP. If
    > it isnt,
    >  >> it may be that the driver isnt happy with the
    > external
    >  >> drive. When you use the drive on other PC, they may
    >  >> be running XP and its happy with the drive because
    >  >> XP's driver is being used for the drive.
    >
    > > the hard drive is using it’s own adapter that connects
    > > to a wall socket for power, and although the computer
    > > is old it still has XP installed.
    >
    > Did you install drivers for the drive ? You dont need to with
    > XP.
    >
    > > thanks anyways but the problem remains
    >
    > Maybe it still gets some power, say for the electronics,
    > from the USB port and there isnt enough with the old PC
    > if you didnt install a driver with XP.

    it required no driver, when i plugged in the usb it unstalled by
    itself, im pretty sure its installed and everything the only problem i
    have is it doesn’t show up in My Computer, is the a way to find the
    drive some how maybe going threw the control panel etc.

    and i have to transfer 6 gigs of stuff :(

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-transfer-media-external-hd-ftopict55042.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=276725

    http://www.usenet.com

    > "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > > Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > > Rod Speed wrote
    > >  >> Migeru <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
    > > wrote
    > >   >>> Rod Speed wrote
    > >   >>>> Migeru
    > > <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote
    > >
    > >   >>>>> im trying to transfer stuff i downloaded on
    > > an old pc to
    > >   >>>>> a new external 250gb hd i bought, but i get
    > > a message
    > >   >>>>> telling me that the port im using is a low
    > > speed usb port
    > >   >>>>> and i need a high speed usb port.
    > >
    > >   >>>> It isnt actually saying that you NEED a high
    > > speed
    > >   >>>> usb port, just that it will be rather slow
    > > without one.
    > >
    > >   >>>>> anyone know how i can fix this?
    > >
    > >   >>>> Add a USB 2 port with a PCI card.
    > >
    > >   >>>>> or what other options i have to transfer the
    > > media?
    > >
    > >   >>>> Do it slowly on the existing usb port.
    > >
    > >   >>>>> the cd drive is pretty messed up
    > >   >>>>> so i don’t know if it works anymore.
    > >
    > >   >>> but the hard drive dosen’t show up in My
    > > computer
    > >   >>> but it does on other computers, any ideas?
    > >
    > >  >> OK, two main possibilitys if you see that.
    > >
    > >  >> The external drive may not be getting enough power
    > >  >> with the old pc, particularly if the drive is being
    > > powered
    > >  >> from the usb port. If its got an optional external
    > > power
    > >  >> wall wart, use it and see if that fixes the problem
    > > that
    > >  >> it cant be seen in my computer.
    > >
    > >  >> Its quite likely that the old pc isnt running XP. If
    > > it isnt,
    > >  >> it may be that the driver isnt happy with the
    > > external
    > >  >> drive. When you use the drive on other PC, they may
    > >  >> be running XP and its happy with the drive because
    > >  >> XP's driver is being used for the drive.
    > >
    > > > the hard drive is using it’s own adapter that connects
    > > > to a wall socket for power, and although the computer
    > > > is old it still has XP installed.
    > >
    > > Did you install drivers for the drive ? You dont need to with
    > > XP.
    > >
    > > > thanks anyways but the problem remains
    > >
    > > Maybe it still gets some power, say for the electronics,
    > > from the USB port and there isnt enough with the old PC
    > > if you didnt install a driver with XP.

    > it required no driver, when i plugged in the usb it unstalled
    > by itself, im pretty sure its installed and everything

    Yeah, very likely.

    > the only problem i have is it doesn’t show up in My Computer,

    Yeah, that was clear right from the start.

    > is the a way to find the drive some how
    > maybe going threw the control panel etc.

    Shouldnt need to.

    Have you got more than one USB port on that old PC ?

    What happens if you try a different one ?

    > and i have to transfer 6 gigs of stuff :(

HD Storage