DLink di-524 Wireless Router and Internet Sharing

Connected one of these to my desktop last night. I have a simple dial up
internet access right now. But I wanted to be able to use internet sharing
on the desktop. I have a laptop with wireless g. I can see the desktop and
transfer files back and forth. But I can't see the internet connection that
I'm sharing. I had a linksys router before this. And if I right clicked on
network settings on the laptop I could see my dial up service (had the same
name as what I gave it on the desktop). Now I get a icon that says "Internet
Connection" or something along that line in my network properties on the
laptop. When I dial the ISP and do connect I get the same icon in my network
settings on the desktop. Internet Connection icon. And I can't jump out on
the web. Even though I'm connected on the web via the desktop. Do I need to
turn the DHCP off on the router? I'm also getting a IP conflict. The
internet sharing gives the network adapter an IP address that is the same as
the lan IP on the dlink router. So I changed the IP address on the router
(from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1) I can't think of what else to do. I don't
recall disabling the DHCP on the linksys router I had. It worked okay. I
just wanted to take advantage of the 802.11g that my notebook has. The
linksys only had 802.11b. Maybe assign an IP address to the wireless on my
notebook? I didn't have to do this before with the linksys. So I'm totally
confused.
1 answer Last reply
More about dlink wireless router internet sharing

    Hi
    May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in message
    > Connected one of these to my desktop last night. I have a simple dial up
    > internet access right now. But I wanted to be able to use internet sharing
    > on the desktop. I have a laptop with wireless g. I can see the desktop and
    > transfer files back and forth. But I can't see the internet connection
    that
    > I'm sharing. I had a linksys router before this. And if I right clicked on
    > network settings on the laptop I could see my dial up service (had the
    same
    > name as what I gave it on the desktop). Now I get a icon that says
    "Internet
    > Connection" or something along that line in my network properties on the
    > laptop. When I dial the ISP and do connect I get the same icon in my
    network
    > settings on the desktop. Internet Connection icon. And I can't jump out on
    > the web. Even though I'm connected on the web via the desktop. Do I need
    > turn the DHCP off on the router? I'm also getting a IP conflict. The
    > internet sharing gives the network adapter an IP address that is the same
    as
    > the lan IP on the dlink router. So I changed the IP address on the router
    > (from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1) I can't think of what else to do. I
    don't
    > recall disabling the DHCP on the linksys router I had. It worked okay. I
    > just wanted to take advantage of the 802.11g that my notebook has. The
    > linksys only had 802.11b. Maybe assign an IP address to the wireless on my
    > notebook? I didn't have to do this before with the linksys. So I'm totally
    > confused.

Wireless Router Desktops Internet Wireless Networking