Taking a volt ohm meter to my external fire wire case.

I've got an ADS Tech Pyro case...
http://www.adstech.com/support/ProductSupport.asp?productId=API-808&productName=PYRO%202.5%20Drive%20Kit
and it appears not to be powering up the HD..
thought I'd take a volt meter to it.. and see if it was putting out the
juice that the drive needs, thinking that if anything had died, it was
likely the AC power brick. unfortunately that AC brick attaches to the
back of the case with a DIN style connector and I have no clue what to
his with my volt ohm meter there..

I saw silk screened on the back of my HD where the power connector
plugs in.. a 12 V (yellow).. 2 black grounds then a 5V.
so I assume one is a 5V power on..
and the other is for giving it the 12 V it neads to run...
I'm not seeing 12V across that yellow wire to ground wire...
does that likely mean the power brick feeding the case is dead?

Thanks,
Ethan

hupjack@excite.com wrote in

> I've got an ADS Tech Pyro case...
> http://www.adstech.com/support/ProductSupport.asp?productId=API-8
> 08&productName=PYRO%202.5%20Drive%20Kit and it appears not to be
> powering up the HD.. thought I'd take a volt meter to it.. and
> see if it was putting out the juice that the drive needs,
> thinking that if anything had died, it was likely the AC power
> brick. unfortunately that AC brick attaches to the back of the
> case with a DIN style connector and I have no clue what to his
> with my volt ohm meter there..
>
> I saw silk screened on the back of my HD where the power
> connector plugs in.. a 12 V (yellow).. 2 black grounds then a
> 5V. so I assume one is a 5V power on..
> and the other is for giving it the 12 V it neads to run...
> I'm not seeing 12V across that yellow wire to ground wire...
> does that likely mean the power brick feeding the case is dead?

Nope.
The device you are using is designed for 2.5" drives; these do not
have a 12v supply feed. Is the +5V working?

Previously hupjack@excite.com wrote:
> I've got an ADS Tech Pyro case...
> http://www.adstech.com/support/ProductSupport.asp?productId=API-808&productName=PYRO%202.5%20Drive%20Kit
> and it appears not to be powering up the HD..
> thought I'd take a volt meter to it.. and see if it was putting out the
> juice that the drive needs, thinking that if anything had died, it was
> likely the AC power brick. unfortunately that AC brick attaches to the
> back of the case with a DIN style connector and I have no clue what to
> his with my volt ohm meter there..

> I saw silk screened on the back of my HD where the power connector
> plugs in.. a 12 V (yellow).. 2 black grounds then a 5V.
> so I assume one is a 5V power on..
> and the other is for giving it the 12 V it neads to run...
> I'm not seeing 12V across that yellow wire to ground wire...
> does that likely mean the power brick feeding the case is dead?

The 5V = red and 12V = yellow coding is customary in PCs, but
by no means a standard or the like. Also it does not work like
you describe. A conventional HDD draws power from 12V and 5V,
both in the range of up to more than one Ampere. The disk will
usually not suffer damage if one voltage is missing, but it will
not start. Notebook HDDs are a different story. They are 5V only
and draw all their power from there.

You should see on your "power brick" whether it provides 5V only
or 5V and 12V. Look for some marking like "+5V/2A, +12V/2A or the
like. If you are unsure you are welcome to post a picture/scan
somewhere and I can take a look at it for interpretation.

Arno

<hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message

> I've got an ADS Tech Pyro case...
> http://www.adstech.com/support/ProductSupport.asp?productId=API-808&productName=PYRO%202.5%20Drive%20Kit
> and it appears not to be powering up the HD..
> thought I'd take a volt meter to it.. and see if it was putting out the
> juice that the drive needs, thinking that if anything had died, it was
> likely the AC power brick. unfortunately that AC brick attaches to the
> back of the case with a DIN style connector and I have no clue what to
> his with my volt ohm meter there..

> I saw silk screened on the back of my HD where the power connector
> plugs in.. a 12 V (yellow).. 2 black grounds then a 5V.
> so I assume one is a 5V power on..
> and the other is for giving it the 12 V it neads to run...

You should be able to work it out from the power connector
to the drive itself. Looks like its using the standard wire colors.

> I'm not seeing 12V across that yellow wire to ground wire...
> does that likely mean the power brick feeding the case is dead?

Yeah, looks like it.

<hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message
> I've got an ADS Tech Pyro case...

http://www.adstech.com/support/ProductSupport.asp?productId=API-808&productName=PYRO%202.5%20Drive%20Kit

> I'm not seeing 12V across that yellow wire to ground wire...
> does that likely mean the power brick feeding the case is dead?

Thats a 2.5" hard drive enclosure and I thought 2.5" drives didn't use 12V
only 5V.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3dkudpF6itol6U1
@individual.net:

>> I'm not seeing 12V across that yellow wire to ground wire...
>> does that likely mean the power brick feeding the case is dead?
>
> Yeah, looks like it.

2.5" drives don't have a 12v supply feed, so its absence is very
unlikely to be a reliable indicator of power unit failure.

Having had this pointed out to him by several contributors, most
would admit and correct their mistake openly. But not Rod.