Before Maxtor 6YL0... now CALYPSO

fox

I have two HDD MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX PLUS 9 80GB

They worked always fine.

But from one day to another the two HDDs showed the same problem, almost
simultaneously.

Whereas before the BIOS recognized them as MAXTOR 6Y080...., now PC does not
start, and entering the BIOS - with many diffulties - they are recognized as
CALYPSO, whitout any other information.

I tried to use Powermax or Maxblast, but on the primary IDE there is not any
HDD.

The same if I connect the HDD to secondary IDE.

On the same PC I am using other Maxtor HDDs, without problems.

On the WEB I read that many pepole had the same problem, due to the fact
that HDDs lost firmware.

It is possible to restore the firmware on HDDs? Thare is any software to do
it?

Thanks

Fox <nap010205@interfree.it> wrote in message

> I have two HDD MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX PLUS 9 80GB

> They worked always fine.

> But from one day to another the two HDDs showed the same problem, almost
> simultaneously.

> Whereas before the BIOS recognized them as MAXTOR 6Y080...., now PC does not
> start, and entering the BIOS - with many diffulties - they are recognized as
> CALYPSO, whitout any other information.

Thats not that unusual. Modern maxtor drives appear to load that
ID info off the platters at drive boot time and if that fails for some
reason, that ID info isnt available, so it falls back to the default info.

> I tried to use Powermax or Maxblast, but on the primary IDE there is not any
> HDD.

> The same if I connect the HDD to secondary IDE.

> On the same PC I am using other Maxtor HDDs, without problems.

> On the WEB I read that many pepole had the same problem, due to the fact that
> HDDs lost firmware.

Or cant get it off the platter, anyway.