Hi

In the trailers for HL2 there was a scene where a soldier got speared by
something which looked as though it was made of water.

Finished HL2 and never saw it. Was this dropped or did I miss something ? Or
will it make the expansion pack?

TIA
Alan

ALAN HOAR wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the trailers for HL2 there was a scene where a soldier got speared
by
> something which looked as though it was made of water.
>
> Finished HL2 and never saw it. Was this dropped or did I miss
something ? Or
> will it make the expansion pack?
>
> TIA
> Alan

The blue tentacle? Dropped.
Rumour has it that the bulk of the coding was done, but that it was
simply too complex to use in the game. Hopefully it will be finished
off and put in an expansion pack.

In article <d61tdf$l7b$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
ALAN HOAR<alan.hoar@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the trailers for HL2 there was a scene where a soldier got speared by
> something which looked as though it was made of water.
>
> Finished HL2 and never saw it. Was this dropped or did I miss something ? Or
> will it make the expansion pack?

I think it was dropped. I read somewhere that one of the reasons was that it
didn't really work from a first person view...

Andy

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:53:10 GMT, Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk>
wrote:

>In article <d61tdf$l7b$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
> ALAN HOAR<alan.hoar@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> In the trailers for HL2 there was a scene where a soldier got speared by
>> something which looked as though it was made of water.
>>
>> Finished HL2 and never saw it. Was this dropped or did I miss something ? Or
>> will it make the expansion pack?
>
>I think it was dropped. I read somewhere that one of the reasons was that it
>didn't really work from a first person view...
>
>Andy

Also in the early press releases for HL2 from 2003, Freeman was
supposed to be able to 'jack' vehicles like the Combine's APC in
addition to the air boat and buggy.. guess that got dropped too..
pity, i'd have loved to have used a 'jacked' APC on those Striders..

toadie

toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:53:10 GMT, Andy Hawkins <andy@gently.org.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>In article <d61tdf$l7b$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
>> ALAN HOAR<alan.hoar@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>In the trailers for HL2 there was a scene where a soldier got speared by
>>>something which looked as though it was made of water.
>>>
>>>Finished HL2 and never saw it. Was this dropped or did I miss something ? Or
>>>will it make the expansion pack?
>>
>>I think it was dropped. I read somewhere that one of the reasons was that it
>>didn't really work from a first person view...
>>
>>Andy
>

> Also in the early press releases for HL2 from 2003, Freeman was
> supposed to be able to 'jack' vehicles like the Combine's APC in
> addition to the air boat and buggy.. guess that got dropped too..
> pity, i'd have loved to have used a 'jacked' APC on those Striders..

Well then why don't you?

http://strider.hl2spain.com/

A mod that allows you to jump in and take control of various vehicles
used by the Combine (eg. APCs, Combine gunships, even the Strider!).
Note that you can't jump into one of these things already controller by
the Combine, but what you can do it spawn a vehicle from the keyboard.

I remember hearing how the latest version is multiplayer only though, so
if you want the single-player version you may have to hunt for an older
version, unless my info is out-of-date.