error when formatting - invalid media reading drive C

was playing with a sector editor, figured i can't do permanent damage.
was experimenting. none of the datda on the hdd is important. I
thought that fdisk and with its mbr switch, and format, would be able
to rewrite the bytes that count.

i wrote a boot record from a floppy disk onto the hdd. - i.e. replaced
the first 512 bytes. then i lost access to all my files on that hdd -
fair enough. so I used fdisk removed the partition, recreatred it made
it active, rebooted, tried to format it (A:\>format c: /s) and I got
an error "invalid media reading drive c abort rety fail" So I aborted.
I did fdisk /mbr. Then I tried format c: /s again, got the same error,
did 'f' for fail and it let me format it. I shoudln't get that error
before formatting though.

it's an excelstor hdd (i.e. a rubbish hdd), they don't have any
utilities on their site for download. but i'm hoping that free 3rd
party software has a solution. there was a mention of norton disk
doctor fixing it on usenet, but no further information was give
5 answers Last reply
More about error formatting invalid media reading drive

    <q_q_anonymous@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > was playing with a sector editor, figured i can't do permanent damage.

    Correct.

    > was experimenting. none of the datda on the hdd is important.
    > I thought that fdisk and with its mbr switch, and format, would
    > be able to rewrite the bytes that count.

    Its simpler to just write zeros thru the first few hundred tracks if
    you do manage to produce a problem with something like clearhdd.

    > i wrote a boot record from a floppy disk onto the hdd. - i.e.
    > replaced the first 512 bytes. then i lost access to all my files
    > on that hdd - fair enough. so I used fdisk removed the partition,

    That isnt going to affect the boot code in the MBR.

    > recreatred it made it active, rebooted, tried to format it (A:\>format c: /s)
    > and I got an error "invalid media reading drive c abort rety fail"

    Presumably it got rather confused about the geometry
    detail etc in the MBR that came from a floppy.

    > So I aborted. I did fdisk /mbr. Then I tried format c: /s again,
    > got the same error, did 'f' for fail and it let me format it. I
    > shoudln't get that error before formatting though.

    You likely still have the useless geometry detail in the MBR.

    > it's an excelstor hdd (i.e. a rubbish hdd), they don't have any
    > utilities on their site for download. but i'm hoping that free 3rd
    > party software has a solution. there was a mention of norton disk
    > doctor fixing it on usenet, but no further information was give

    Wipe it with clearhdd, that will fix it.
    http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/clearhdd.htm

    thanks, that's a great utility, i've added it to my useful programs

    though, i found that the problem was with the ide cable. I changed the
    cable and it was fine. The old cable was technically good - 18" and 80
    way but visually imperfect - a tiny speck of coating had been scraped
    off exposing a few mm of copper wire.

    Regarding utilities, which utilities made by one HDD manufacturer work
    on drives of any manufacturer? (besides samsung's clearhdd) I have
    heard for example, that maxtor have some good utilities, but obviously
    i wouoldn't want to buy a maxtor drive!

    hmm, i testd again. seems like now i still get the error even with the
    perfect ide cable. I ran clearhdd then fdisk then format.

    doesn't matter. i just press f a few times and it lets me format it.

    thanks for the info

    > i found that the problem was with the ide cable. I changed
    > the cable and it was fine. The old cable was technically good
    > - 18" and 80 way but visually imperfect - a tiny speck of coating
    > had been scraped off exposing a few mm of copper wire.

    Likely the force required to do that dislodged one of the
    connections to one of the wire in one of the connectors.

    > Regarding utilities, which utilities made by one HDD manufacturer
    > work on drives of any manufacturer? (besides samsung's clearhdd)

    Many hard drive manufacturers do have
    a ute that writes zeros thru the drive.

    > I have heard for example, that maxtor have some good utilities,

    I dont care for them myself.

    > but obviously i wouoldn't want to buy a maxtor drive!

    Me neither. But thats because they dont provide
    local warranty support in my country, the drive has
    to be shipped to singapore for a warranty claim.

    > hmm, i testd again. seems like now i still get the error even with
    > the perfect ide cable. I ran clearhdd then fdisk then format.

    > doesn't matter. i just press f a few times and it lets me format it.

    That's a real worry. Run Hitachi's DFT
    and Seagate's diagnostics on the drive.

    > thanks for the info

    No problem, thanks for the feedback, too rare in my opinion.

Hard Drives Format Storage