Selecting a DVD Decoder when Multiple Installed

Hi All,

I have an XP system with a hardware DVD decoder on my
video card and a software DVD decoder installed with the
Cyberlink software. How can I choose between the two
when playing a DVD? Actually all I really want to do is
ensure that the hardware DVD decoder is being chosen.
How can I do this?

Thanks for your help,
Michael
5 answers Last reply
More about selecting decoder multiple installed

    You can set the "merit" value of a directshow filter/codec using following
    program. However be warned that it is a very dangerous thing in non-experts
    hands.

    RadLight Filter Manager
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/RadLight_Filter_Manager.htm

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    "Michael Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have an XP system with a hardware DVD decoder on my
    > video card and a software DVD decoder installed with the
    > Cyberlink software. How can I choose between the two
    > when playing a DVD? Actually all I really want to do is
    > ensure that the hardware DVD decoder is being chosen.
    > How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Michael

    Thanks for your help.

    The hardware codec in my system might already have a
    higher merit value set. How can I view the DVD codecs
    along with their merit ratings? How can I tell which
    codec is being used by Media Player to play a DVD?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I have an XP system with a hardware DVD decoder on my
    >> video card and a software DVD decoder installed with
    the
    >> Cyberlink software. How can I choose between the two
    >> when playing a DVD? Actually all I really want to do
    is
    >> ensure that the hardware DVD decoder is being chosen.
    >> How can I do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help,
    >> Michael
    >

    >.

    Hi Michael,

    Download the free GraphEdit program. It will draw a block diagram of the
    filters in use with video, and labels them for identification.

    The Zoom Player Standard is also a free download. It is the best and most
    versatile player. It allows the user to view the list of filters. You can
    edit the merit numbers as well.

    Good luck....

    "Michael Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have an XP system with a hardware DVD decoder on my
    > video card and a software DVD decoder installed with the
    > Cyberlink software. How can I choose between the two
    > when playing a DVD? Actually all I really want to do is
    > ensure that the hardware DVD decoder is being chosen.
    > How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Michael

    Microsoft recently released a MPEG2 codec checkup utility:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=de1491ac-0ab6-4990-943d-627e6ade9fcb&displaylang=en

    If your codec is listed there you can make it your favourite/preferred
    choice.

    > How can I tell which
    > codec is being used by Media Player to play a DVD?

    You need graphedit -- a tool that comes with DirectX SDK (huge download).

    Also you may be interested in Dean Rowe's recent blog entry about graphedit:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/deanro/archive/2004/09/24/234155.aspx

    However rather than download the SDK you can find just the download for
    graphedit if you google for "download graphedit".

    --

    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > The hardware codec in my system might already have a
    > higher merit value set. How can I view the DVD codecs
    > along with their merit ratings? How can I tell which
    > codec is being used by Media Player to play a DVD?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    Thanks for all your very informative help guys.

Video DVD Decoder Windows XP