Ghost 2003 ok with SATA drives ?

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 6, 2005 1:43:15 AM

Base XP install - no drivers as of yet

drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.

pc sees drive ok

wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but ok -
do it !

hangs in the dos bit

wondering if its a SATA thing ?

thanks

More about : ghost 2003 sata drives

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 6, 2005 1:43:16 AM

DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata (worked
with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata problem.
Now I just have a timing issue.

Norm Perron

"zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Base XP install - no drivers as of yet
>
> drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.
>
> pc sees drive ok
>
> wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but ok -
> do it !
>
> hangs in the dos bit
>
> wondering if its a SATA thing ?
>
> thanks

May 6, 2005 2:15:42 AM

Just googled on GHOST 2003 SATA

It dont like SATA - claims the liveupdate solves it , which i hadnt done

also - force a run off the floppy ghosr with GHOST -NOIDE

will crank up the gui

trying now

what a palava !

"Captain Norm" <captnorm@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata (worked
> with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata problem.
> Now I just have a timing issue.
>
> Norm Perron
>
> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Base XP install - no drivers as of yet
> >
> > drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.
> >
> > pc sees drive ok
> >
> > wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but
ok -
> > do it !
> >
> > hangs in the dos bit
> >
> > wondering if its a SATA thing ?
> >
> > thanks

Related resources
May 6, 2005 2:16:21 AM

also

Ghost compatibility with Intel 865 chipsets and Serial ATA drives
Situation:
This document describes what you need to do to get Ghost to work with your
Intel 865-based motherboard and Serial ATA drive controller.

Solution:

----
Before you begin:
a.. If you are using Norton Ghost 2003, the latest LiveUpdate includes the
fix for this issue. To run LiveUpdate for Ghost 2003, open the program and
then click LiveUpdate.
b.. If you have a licensed copy of Symantec Ghost 7.5, contact the
Symantec Customer Center at (800) 927-4017 to obtain information on an
updated file that fixes this problem. The Customer Center will confirm your
serial number for your copy of Symantec Ghost 7.5.
c.. To contact the Symantec Customer Service Center in Europe, Middle
East, and Africa, read the document Enterprise Customer Service Contact
Information in Europe.

----

Ghost is compatible with the new Serial ATA (SATA) standard.

If you are experiencing problems like Ghost hanging, locking up, or freezing
when loading or while "initializing TCP/IP" once Ghost loads, the problem
lies with the interrupt handling for the Intel 865 Chipsets and later.
Upgrading to the latest version of Norton Ghost 2003 or Symantec Ghost 8.x
resolves the problem. Also, see the Technical Information section below for
information about an update to Symantec Ghost 7.5.

Workaround
Depending upon the mix of SATA and IDE drives installed to your system, one
of the following switches should resolve the problem:
a.. If you have an IDE and an SATA drive, or only IDE drives:
-FNI Forces Ghost to use the BIOS to gain access to the IDE drive.
b.. If you have an SATA drive and no IDE drives:
-NOIDE Disables access to IDE devices.

For more information on the -FNI and -NOIDE switches, read the document
Switches: Alphabetical list of switches.

Ghost compatibility with Intel 865 chipsets and Serial ATA drives
Situation:
This document describes what you need to do to get Ghost to work with your
Intel 865-based motherboard and Serial ATA drive controller.

Solution:

----
Before you begin:
a.. If you are using Norton Ghost 2003, the latest LiveUpdate includes the
fix for this issue. To run LiveUpdate for Ghost 2003, open the program and
then click LiveUpdate.
b.. If you have a licensed copy of Symantec Ghost 7.5, contact the
Symantec Customer Center at (800) 927-4017 to obtain information on an
updated file that fixes this problem. The Customer Center will confirm your
serial number for your copy of Symantec Ghost 7.5.
c.. To contact the Symantec Customer Service Center in Europe, Middle
East, and Africa, read the document Enterprise Customer Service Contact
Information in Europe.

----

Ghost is compatible with the new Serial ATA (SATA) standard.

If you are experiencing problems like Ghost hanging, locking up, or freezing
when loading or while "initializing TCP/IP" once Ghost loads, the problem
lies with the interrupt handling for the Intel 865 Chipsets and later.
Upgrading to the latest version of Norton Ghost 2003 or Symantec Ghost 8.x
resolves the problem. Also, see the Technical Information section below for
information about an update to Symantec Ghost 7.5.

Workaround
Depending upon the mix of SATA and IDE drives installed to your system, one
of the following switches should resolve the problem:
a.. If you have an IDE and an SATA drive, or only IDE drives:
-FNI Forces Ghost to use the BIOS to gain access to the IDE drive.
b.. If you have an SATA drive and no IDE drives:
-NOIDE Disables access to IDE devices.

For more information on the -FNI and -NOIDE switches, read the document
Switches: Alphabetical list of switches.

"Captain Norm" <captnorm@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata (worked
> with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata problem.
> Now I just have a timing issue.
>
> Norm Perron
>
> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Base XP install - no drivers as of yet
> >
> > drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.
> >
> > pc sees drive ok
> >
> > wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but
ok -
> > do it !
> >
> > hangs in the dos bit
> >
> > wondering if its a SATA thing ?
> >
> > thanks

May 6, 2005 2:20:58 AM

it backed up but i'm still stuck in the dos nightmare bit

"Captain Norm" <captnorm@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata (worked
> with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata problem.
> Now I just have a timing issue.
>
> Norm Perron
>
> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Base XP install - no drivers as of yet
> >
> > drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.
> >
> > pc sees drive ok
> >
> > wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but
ok -
> > do it !
> >
> > hangs in the dos bit
> >
> > wondering if its a SATA thing ?
> >
> > thanks

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 6, 2005 12:12:05 PM

> it backed up but i'm still stuck in the dos nightmare bit

True Image should work fine and is
significanty less buggy than Ghost 9

> "Captain Norm" <captnorm@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata (worked
>> with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata problem.
>> Now I just have a timing issue.
>>
>> Norm Perron
>>
>> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Base XP install - no drivers as of yet
>> >
>> > drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.
>> >
>> > pc sees drive ok
>> >
>> > wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but
> ok -
>> > do it !
>> >
>> > hangs in the dos bit
>> >
>> > wondering if its a SATA thing ?
>> >
>> > thanks

May 6, 2005 1:06:05 PM

just read similar in a forum so its time to make the move methinks

thanks

> zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > it backed up but i'm still stuck in the dos nightmare bit
>
> True Image should work fine and is
> significanty less buggy than Ghost 9
>

> > "Captain Norm" <captnorm@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata
(worked
> >> with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata
problem.
> >> Now I just have a timing issue.
> >>
> >> Norm Perron
> >>
> >> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > ok -

May 6, 2005 8:07:56 PM

Note that I use Ghost v 8 and in order for me to restore back to my one SATA
drive I have to disable my other three IDE drives. I believe this to be
motherboard independent though. May not be the case for other chipsets.

I use an ATi express 200 Athlon 64 chipset in an HP system.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 7, 2005 10:27:03 PM

zero wrote:
> Base XP install - no drivers as of yet
>
> drive is vanilla sata - no raid etc.
>
> pc sees drive ok
>
> wanted to ghost it straight away - it mentions the ghost id neded but
> ok - do it !
>
> hangs in the dos bit
>
> wondering if its a SATA thing ?
>
> thanks

ghost -NOIDE for systems with only S-ATA disks
ghost -FNI for systems with both S-ATA and IDE disks

enter either switch in either "Advanced Options" > "Ghost Command Line" or
at the DOS prompt, that is:
ghost <-switch>

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
May 7, 2005 10:32:21 PM

Rod

True Image - worked fine as you predicted - decent GUI in the dos mode as
well

Q) It allows comments to be entered for each image similar to Ghost but i
couldnt
see a way to see these comments before i try and reload an image ?

Comforting slogan they have - "Compute with Confidence" !!!

> zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > it backed up but i'm still stuck in the dos nightmare bit
>
> True Image should work fine and is
> significanty less buggy than Ghost 9
>

> > "Captain Norm" <captnorm@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> DOS based ghost.exe dated 10/1/02, 6:15 pm failed for me with sata
(worked
> >> with everything else). ghost.exe 9/12/03, 6:10 pm solved the sata
problem.
> >> Now I just have a timing issue.
> >>
> >> Norm Perron
> >>
> >> "zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > ok -

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 10, 2005 6:54:16 PM

Whoops, sorry, put this aside to check the detail
and then didnt get back to it, got sidetracked a tad.

> True Image - worked fine as you predicted
> - decent GUI in the dos mode as well

Its actually Linux, not dos.

> Q) It allows comments to be entered for each image similar to Ghost but i
> couldnt see a way to see these comments before i try and reload an image ?

I see them fine when browsing for the image file to restore.
You do have to click on the image file to highlight it and you
then see the comment in the box to the right of the folder tree.

> Comforting slogan they have - "Compute with Confidence" !!!

I've never been a fan of slogans |-)

!