Video Rendering Jerky after XP SP2

After the update to XP SP2, my computer renders video
files (.avi) in jerky fashion including audio. This
occurs no matter what video editing software is being
used. This appears to be related to continuous disk
activity while the video is playing.

I have reloaded the orignal XP on a new disk and this
works correctly with minimal disk activity. This worked
fine on the original disk.

I have uploaded all of the OEM patches and the latest
video driver which supports DirectX 9.0c. The MS chat
site says they do not think it is an XP problem.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

When was the last time you defragged the hard drive?
www.coribright.com

"Mark Russell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After the update to XP SP2, my computer renders video
> files (.avi) in jerky fashion including audio. This
> occurs no matter what video editing software is being
> used. This appears to be related to continuous disk
> activity while the video is playing.
>
> I have reloaded the orignal XP on a new disk and this
> works correctly with minimal disk activity. This worked
> fine on the original disk.
>
> I have uploaded all of the OEM patches and the latest
> video driver which supports DirectX 9.0c. The MS chat
> site says they do not think it is an XP problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

I have defrag'ed 3 or 4 times after unloading half of the
partition. The D: partition is almost completely
defrag'ed. The problem even occurs if I burn the file on
a CD-R and try to play it from there. Here is the defrag
report:

Volume (C:)
Volume size = 14.94 GB
Cluster size = 4 KB
Used space = 8.20 GB
Free space = 6.74 GB
Percent free space = 45 %

Volume fragmentation
Total fragmentation = 4 %
File fragmentation = 8 %
Free space fragmentation = 1 %

File fragmentation
Total files = 85,191
Average file size = 151 KB
Total fragmented files = 727
Total excess fragments = 2,295
Average fragments per file = 1.02

Pagefile fragmentation
Pagefile size = 523 MB
Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
Total folders = 3,924
Fragmented folders = 1
Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
Total MFT size = 107 MB
MFT record count = 89,289
Percent MFT in use = 81 %
Total MFT fragments = 3

> I have defrag'ed 3 or 4 times after unloading half of the
> partition. The D: partition is almost completely
> defrag'ed. The problem even occurs if I burn the file on
> a CD-R and try to play it from there. Here is the defrag
> report:
>
> Volume (C:)
> Volume size = 14.94 GB
> Cluster size = 4 KB
> Used space = 8.20 GB
> Free space = 6.74 GB
> Percent free space = 45 %
>
> Volume fragmentation
> Total fragmentation = 4 %
> File fragmentation = 8 %
> Free space fragmentation = 1 %
>
> File fragmentation
> Total files = 85,191
> Average file size = 151 KB
> Total fragmented files = 727
> Total excess fragments = 2,295
> Average fragments per file = 1.02
>
> Pagefile fragmentation
> Pagefile size = 523 MB
> Total fragments = 1
>
> Folder fragmentation
> Total folders = 3,924
> Fragmented folders = 1
> Excess folder fragments = 0
>
> Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
> Total MFT size = 107 MB
> MFT record count = 89,289
> Percent MFT in use = 81 %
> Total MFT fragments = 3

Mark-

Long shot here....

Are you using the NEW built-in firewall
that comes with SP2? If so, perhaps
it is screwing with you (to those of you who
are ready to jump on me for even suggesting it,
re-read my intro above).

Unplug yourself from the Internet and disable
it completely-hell, disable ALL non-essential
services, and see what happens.

Another thought: have you checked to see if
your drives all have DMA turned ON? SP2
may have screwed those settings over as well.

Vance,

Thanks for the suggestions. The firewall is one thing I
tried since it is a noticable change in SP2. I tried it
again just to verify and the result is the same. Still
alot of disk activity. I am not quite sure where the DMA
settings for the disk is. I did turn off the disk
indexing for both partitions. I guess I will try killing
some processes in the Task Manager. Wish me luck.

Thanks again,
Mark

[snip my message on defrag]

>Long shot here....
>
>Are you using the NEW built-in firewall
>that comes with SP2? If so, perhaps
>it is screwing with you (to those of you who
>are ready to jump on me for even suggesting it,
>re-read my intro above).
>
>Unplug yourself from the Internet and disable
>it completely-hell, disable ALL non-essential
>services, and see what happens.
>
>Another thought: have you checked to see if
>your drives all have DMA turned ON? SP2
>may have screwed those settings over as well.

No luck with the Task Manager. I did notice that when the
video was attempting to play, the only load on the system
was the WMP.

Mark

Does anyone at MS care about this problem? I scanned the
archives of this newsgroup and it seems to be widely
reported. I have another symptom that is also widely
report that is I can no longer capture video from my
digital camcorder. Again, on the disk where I reloaded
the original software, everything works fine. Not a
hardware problem.

Microsoft, please fix this problem your SP2 patch created!

Mark

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

As far as the video capture problem is concerned I may be able to help you.
Execute the following command on Start > Run dialog:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

It should result in a "DllRegisterServer in qdv.dll succeeded" message.

Many people have seen some directx DLLs like qdv.dll (used in DV AVI
capture/playback) to get unregistered for some reason after installing SP2.
It may be related to them having installed some rogue program prior to SP2.
Anyway the above should fix the dv avi capture issue.

I would recommend installing full DirectX and WIndows Media Encoder after
upgrading to SP2. It may help in your other issues.

Good luck and please report back either success or failure so other can
learn and benefit.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

> Does anyone at MS care about this problem? I scanned the
> archives of this newsgroup and it seems to be widely
> reported. I have another symptom that is also widely
> report that is I can no longer capture video from my
> digital camcorder. Again, on the disk where I reloaded
> the original software, everything works fine. Not a
> hardware problem.
>
> Microsoft, please fix this problem your SP2 patch created!
>
> Mark

What do you mean by, "install full DirectX and Windows Media Encoder?" I have run dxdiag and it says I have 9.0c with no problems. I do not know what the Windows Media Encoder is. This problem occurs no matter what video playback software I use: Premier LE, Movie Maker, WMP, Quicktime, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will report back.

Mark

> Vance,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. The firewall is one thing I
> tried since it is a noticable change in SP2. I tried it
> again just to verify and the result is the same. Still
> alot of disk activity. I am not quite sure where the DMA
> settings for the disk is.

Device Manager>>IDE/ATAPI Controllers>>Primary or
Secondary IDE Channel>>Properties>>Advanced Settings

Good luck.

> I did turn off the disk
> indexing for both partitions. I guess I will try killing
> some processes in the Task Manager. Wish me luck.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mark

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

> What do you mean by, "install full DirectX and Windows
> Media Encoder?" I have run dxdiag and it says I have 9.0c
> with no problems.

By installing DirectX and WME I mean just that. I know you would have DX9 as
you installed SP2. But for some reason things go wrong (I dont know the
exact reason) but reinstalling these two components has been proved
successful for many people with similar issues.

Download the full DirectX9c (full 34Mbs of it) and run the installer.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9226A611-62FE-4F61-ABA1-914185249413&displaylang=en
or http://tinyurl.com/3wawf

Same for WME which is found at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx
or http://tinyurl.com/7wf8

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

What do you mean by, "install full DirectX and Windows Media Encoder?" I
have run dxdiag and it says I have 9.0c with no problems. I do not know
what the Windows Media Encoder is. This problem occurs no matter what video
playback software I use: Premier LE, Movie Maker, WMP, Quicktime, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will report back.

Mark

I have done the following, trying the video playback after
each step:

1. Reinstalled DirectX from redistribution package.
2. Installed Windows Media Encoder.
3. Uncompressed all of the .exe and .dll files in
WINDOWS\system32 and WINDOWS\system32\dlcache.

None of these fixed the problem. This has to be related
to the disk accesses interrupting the retrieval of the
data from the disk.

Anyone else?
Microsoft, are you listening?

Thanks,