Wmp wont play WMV files

For some reason my windows media player errors everytime i try to watch a
..wma or .wmv video. Every other type of video files works (.avi, mpg, etc.)
I have other media players (such as BS player) and .wmv vidoes work fine on
it. The problem is everytime i open a website with a .wmv playing the
website errors because WMP wont play them. It is really frustrating. This
started on WMP9 and still doesnt work when i upgraded to 10. Does anyone know
how to fix this or what is wrong?
4 answers Last reply
More about wont play files

    Will wmp play wmv files that are stored on your hard
    drive?

    Has wmp ever been able to play wmv files?

    WC

    Yes WMP use to play them, but all of a sudden stopped one day and i dont know
    why. No it will not play the ones stored on my hard drive.

    "wiley c" wrote:

    > Will wmp play wmv files that are stored on your hard
    > drive?
    >
    > Has wmp ever been able to play wmv files?
    >
    > WC

    Download and install Windows Media Encoder.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

    "Stephen" <Stephen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For some reason my windows media player errors everytime i try to watch a
    > .wma or .wmv video. Every other type of video files works (.avi, mpg,
    > etc.)
    > I have other media players (such as BS player) and .wmv vidoes work fine
    > on
    > it. The problem is everytime i open a website with a .wmv playing the
    > website errors because WMP wont play them. It is really frustrating. This
    > started on WMP9 and still doesnt work when i upgraded to 10. Does anyone
    > know
    > how to fix this or what is wrong?

    A good way to fix media player problems is to install another related
    utility: Windows Media Encoder.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

    Please report back success or failure so that other can learn from your
    experience.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    > Yes WMP use to play them, but all of a sudden stopped one day and i dont
    > know
    > why. No it will not play the ones stored on my hard drive.
    >
    > "wiley c" wrote:
    >
    >> Will wmp play wmv files that are stored on your hard
    >> drive?
    >>
    >> Has wmp ever been able to play wmv files?
    >>
    >> WC

Video Microsoft Media Player Windows XP