Best Codec for Video Capture ??

Iam going to get a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. And when i do some
video Captureing i dont want HUGE FILES. So what codec should i use
???

its capable of 640by480 at 30 Frames a second. What codec would work
the best for that setup ??

Is it possible to capture to divx or similair ?

Thanks.

Previously Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com> wrote:

> Best Codec for Video Capture ??

> Iam going to get a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. And when i do some
> video Captureing i dont want HUGE FILES. So what codec should i use
> ???

> its capable of 640by480 at 30 Frames a second. What codec would work
> the best for that setup ??

> Is it possible to capture to divx or similair ?

> Thanks.

1. Wrong group.
2. Depends on what you need, like high-motion vs. low-motion,
color accuracy, CPU needs on encoding and decoding, ...
You really need to read up ton the technology first.

Arno

On Sat, 07 May 2005 06:02:43 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to capture to divx or similair ?

Yes but unless you got a smoking fast computer, I'd go with something
like MJPEG or Huffyuv. Both is a fairly fast on compression and won't
eat up CPU too much, causing dropped frames or worse. They do eat a
lot of disk space.

After the initial capture, you can re-encode with something for higher
compression like DivX or XVid to save on disk space.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Try the groups I've provided in the header reply.

Impmon wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 06:02:43 +1000, Paul GoodBar <1@abc.com> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to capture to divx or similair ?
>
> Yes but unless you got a smoking fast computer, I'd go with something
> like MJPEG or Huffyuv. Both is a fairly fast on compression and won't
> eat up CPU too much, causing dropped frames or worse. They do eat a
> lot of disk space.
>
> After the initial capture, you can re-encode with something for higher
> compression like DivX or XVid to save on disk space.

Just remember that reencoding from a lossy algorithm involves a generation
loss.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate