Problem upgrading HDD on Aptiva 6431

I've just picked up a second hand Aptiva 6431, Celeron 950 with 20Mb Seagate
HDD. I thought I would replace this with a Western Digital 80Mb Caviar. So
I took the disks to a second machine, copied all the files to the new disk
etc. etc. - as I've done before. Putting the new disk in the IBM I get a
1962 No OS found error. If I put it in on the secondary IDE with the
original HDD still as boot disk it all seems OK so there's no problem with
the 80Mb disk and the machine.

I upgraded a HDD on an older IBM form 4 to 40Mb a couple of years ago for a
friend and had no problems

Q: Does upgrading A HDD on IBM's have hidden problems? If so What?

I'm wondering if it's possible the Compaq on which I did the copy saw a
different CHS layout which may have confused my partioning program.

Q: Is it possible to get it to boot from a floppy? How? The RRDISK.BAT is
not on the system.

TIA for any suggestions Alec

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Have you installed the MBR (Master Boot Record) on your new Harddisk?

Alec Ford <alecford@clear.net.nz> wrote in
message news:427c85c0$1@clear.net.nz...

> I've just picked up a second hand Aptiva 6431, Celeron
> 950 with 20Mb Seagate HDD. I thought I would replace
> this with a Western Digital 80Mb Caviar. So I took the
> disks to a second machine, copied all the files to the
> new disk etc. etc. - as I've done before.

How did you do the copy ? Using what ?

> Putting the new disk in the IBM I get a 1962 No OS found error.

You cant copy a bootable drive by using dos
or win explorer and have the copy bootable.

> If I put it in on the secondary IDE with the original
> HDD still as boot disk it all seems OK so there's
> no problem with the 80Mb disk and the machine.

Yeah, but thats just the files, not
what the system uses to boot an OS.

> I upgraded a HDD on an older IBM form 4 to 40Mb
> a couple of years ago for a friend and had no problems

Likely because what was already on the 40G drive
was already what was needed to boot the OS.

> Q: Does upgrading A HDD on IBM's have hidden problems?

Nope.

> If so What?

> I'm wondering if it's possible the Compaq on which I did the copy saw
> a different CHS layout which may have confused my partioning program.

Its possible. Best to use a drive type entry of AUTO to avoid that.

> Q: Is it possible to get it to boot from a floppy?

No point, copy the 20G drive to the 40G drive the
right way, using something like Ghost 2003 etc.

Its available for peanuts on ebay as part of SystemWorks Pro 2003.

Gotta be Pro, it isnt in the standard SystemWorks 2003.

> How? The RRDISK.BAT is not on the system.

Yep, that was the problem, I thought I had installed the right MBR but no I
hadn't. I used the Ranish partition manager and as the system had Windows
98SE you need a FDISK/MBR after initial partitioning to get a bootable
disk - but somewhere I hadn't done the correct sequence. I realised a few
minutes after making the post, put it down to doing things late at night

Alec