Can't Eject Maxtor External HD

When I try to disconnect my Maxtor 3100 External HD by "Safely Removing
Hardware" I get the message "The device Generic volume cannot be
stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.

I am using the drive to simply store docs and pics...what will happen
if I simply pull out the plug?

I am concerned about overheating if I simply let it stay connected.

Thanks for any help.

Please reply to bezu@rcn.com

I have restarted with no change. I think it may be Norton related or
some such issue. If I leave it connected for days at a time will it
hurt it? It seems a bit warm but not much different then other small
devices (MP3's etc) when you are charging them.

I moved all my music to this drive and plan to listen to my music off
of it rather then using up room on my HD.

But the real reason I installed it is that I had the blue screen , had
to repair my operating system and want to be ready if I need to
reformat.

Hello, bezu@rcn.com!
You wrote on 8 May 2005 20:26:11 -0700:

Not unusual - I get the same message with my Maxtor in an external case (3rd
party). I leave it running (actually unconnected the fan because of noise
and took the top of the enclosure off to dissipate drive heat and it stays
cooler than internal drives in my computer case). As long as you are not in
the process of writing to the drive, you can pull the plug or s/d the power
switch and you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have a decent enclosure letting it run shouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please@bigfoot.com

b> When I try to disconnect my Maxtor 3100 External HD by "Safely Removing
b> Hardware" I get the message "The device Generic volume cannot be
b> stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later.

b> I am using the drive to simply store docs and pics...what will happen
b> if I simply pull out the plug?

b> I am concerned about overheating if I simply let it stay connected.

b> Thanks for any help.

b> Please reply to bezu@rcn.com