"access is denied" after hard-drive swap

Greetings. A friend of mine went out and bought a new computer. He
wants to copy over all his family's vital documents from his old
hard-drive to the new hard-drive. I told him this should be easy and
offered to do it for him.

I dropped his old hard-drive into the computer and it's recognized
without any problems (G: drive). I can see his entire directory
structure and the only things we really want to copy are all the
"Documents and Settings" files (both computers are WinXP). One of the
user directories in the "Documents and Settings" folder we cannot
access (ie, "G:\Documents and Settings\Steve"). It says, "Access is
Denied" through Windows Explorer and DOS. He has a family of four and
we can access everyone else's directory just fine.

How can we get access to his old files in this directory? Any thoughts?

Hal

On 9 May 2005 17:02:51 -0700, avantel@pobox.com wrote:

>Greetings. A friend of mine went out and bought a new computer. He
>wants to copy over all his family's vital documents from his old
>hard-drive to the new hard-drive. I told him this should be easy and
>offered to do it for him.
>
>I dropped his old hard-drive into the computer and it's recognized
>without any problems (G: drive). I can see his entire directory
>structure and the only things we really want to copy are all the
>"Documents and Settings" files (both computers are WinXP). One of the
>user directories in the "Documents and Settings" folder we cannot
>access (ie, "G:\Documents and Settings\Steve"). It says, "Access is
>Denied" through Windows Explorer and DOS. He has a family of four and
>we can access everyone else's directory just fine.
>
>How can we get access to his old files in this directory? Any thoughts?

Maybe just login as "safe mode" or using USB external drive to access
this directory.

www.intldirect.com

Hal wrote:
> Maybe just login as "safe mode" or using USB external
> drive to access this directory.

I was already accessing via a USB external connection. No luck on that
front, BUT thanks for the suggestion to login in "safe mode". That did
the trick.

And much thanks to Tumppi for the Microsoft support link. That worked
for me. Thanks again for all your help.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in XP

Tumppi
Reply to group
Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)

<avantel@pobox.com> kirjoitti viestissä