SATA Drives master and slave?

Hi,

I have a dell 8400 that the hard drive (Maxtor 250g sata) croaked on.
The machine is under warranty, so they are sending me a new one.
Additionally, I bought another as a backup for my work.

I dont know much about sata drives, do I have to set master/slave
jumpers or something? Can I just plug both of them in and go,
specifying which to boot off of in bios?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

BCC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dell 8400 that the hard drive (Maxtor 250g sata) croaked on.
> The machine is under warranty, so they are sending me a new one.
> Additionally, I bought another as a backup for my work.
>
> I dont know much about sata drives, do I have to set master/slave
> jumpers or something? Can I just plug both of them in and go,
> specifying which to boot off of in bios?
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated!

Uh, master-slave is an addressing mechanism used to distinguish between
two devices on an IDE (PATA) cable. But SATA only allows for one device
on its cable, so there is no need for anything like master-slave or its
jumpers. So, you just plug the SATA cable the device (along with power),
and you're done. If you have two SATA HDs, then you'll have two cables.
--
Cheers, Bob

"Bob Willard" wrote:
> Uh, master-slave is an addressing mechanism used to distinguish between
> two devices on an IDE (PATA) cable. But SATA only allows for one device
> on its cable, so there is no need for anything like master-slave or its
> jumpers. So, you just plug the SATA cable the device (along with power),
> and you're done. If you have two SATA HDs, then you'll have two cables.

How is the default hard drive boot order determined? Does each
SATA HD plug into a sequentially numbered data channel?

Rick Lowen

Richard Lowen wrote:

> "Bob Willard" wrote:
>
>> Uh, master-slave is an addressing mechanism used to distinguish between
>> two devices on an IDE (PATA) cable. But SATA only allows for one device
>> on its cable, so there is no need for anything like master-slave or its
>> jumpers. So, you just plug the SATA cable the device (along with power),
>> and you're done. If you have two SATA HDs, then you'll have two cables.
>

> How is the default hard drive boot order determined? Does each
> SATA HD plug into a sequentially numbered data channel?
>

> Rick Lowen

Most BIOSs offer the choice of boot order.
--
Cheers, Bob

Richard Lowen <LowensDen@HeissMail.com> wrote in
message news:IYednQMs8aSQwRzfRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
> Bob Willard wrote

>> Uh, master-slave is an addressing mechanism used to distinguish between
>> two devices on an IDE (PATA) cable. But SATA only allows for one device
>> on its cable, so there is no need for anything like master-slave or its
>> jumpers. So, you just plug the SATA cable the device (along with power),
>> and you're done. If you have two SATA HDs, then you'll have two cables.

> How is the default hard drive boot order determined?

By the SATA cable thats plugged into it.

> Does each SATA HD plug into a sequentially numbered data channel?

That question is meaningless in this context.