Benchmarks HL2?

Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say so. I
just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the difference at least to
my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are almost doubled.

--
Advanced Primate
XP Pro 64 Bit O/S

Advanced Primate wrote:
> Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say so. I
> just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the difference at least to
> my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are almost doubled.

The easiest way to run a benchmark for HL2 is to run Counter-Strike:
Source and click on the "Stress Test" menu option, which will run a
small tech demo and display the average FPS at the end. CS:S and HL2 are
both Source engine games, so the effect is the same if you're looking to
benchmark HL2.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:21:27 GMT, "Advanced Primate"
<primate@primate.com> wrote:

>Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say so. I
>just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the difference at least to
>my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are almost doubled.

What CPU are you running? I'm currently getting <38fps timedemo in
Doom3 with shadows off, that's with an Athlon 64 3200 + 9800 Pro @
1024x768.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was hoping for a better doom3
performance from this new rig.....

--
steve AT steveevans DOT org

"Steve Evans" <me@home.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:21:27 GMT, "Advanced Primate"
> <primate@primate.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say
>> so. I just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the
>> difference at least to my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are
>> almost doubled.
>
> What CPU are you running? I'm currently getting <38fps timedemo in
> Doom3 with shadows off, that's with an Athlon 64 3200 + 9800 Pro @
> 1024x768.
> Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was hoping for a better doom3
> performance from this new rig.....

You just posted over in alt.games.doom also? Were looking for a 3D
benchmark proggy to give ya an idea whazzup? Read my response over
there. From the looks of your rig, I'd have to say it'd be your 9800Pro
that's the bottleneck there.

For a bench comparison in Source engine, just run CS:S, in the opening
options screen choose "Video Stress Test" and let it run out. It will
give you an average FPS for the settings you started with. Make
changes, run it again, etc.

I am quite sure you will find that Doom3 is a lot harder on your rig
than Source games.

My worst is 92 fps in 1280x1024 [LCD] with everything on, reflect all,
all settings to High, 4Xaa and 8x aniso.

Rig is P4-3.0E/800fsb/1m L2, GA8 IPE1000-G, 4 x 512m PC3200 in dual
channel, GF 6800 GT, XP Pro SP2.

McG.

Tray

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

<primate@primate.com> wrote:

>Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say so. I
>just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the difference at least to
>my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are almost doubled.

There is NO accepted benchmark for HL2 , because it's steam scum that
is infecting your's and everyone else's pc because you post on usenet
about scum steam.
:)

"Tray" <aaaa@bbbb.ccccc> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:21:27 GMT, "Advanced Primate"
> <primate@primate.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say
>> so. I just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the
>> difference at least to my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are
>> almost doubled.
>

> There is NO accepted benchmark for HL2 , because it's steam scum that
> is infecting your's and everyone else's pc because you post on usenet
> about scum steam.
> :)

You picked a great newsgroup to drop that in. Really.
McG.

On Sun, 15 May 2005 12:14:42 +0100, Steve Evans <me@home.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 01:21:27 GMT, "Advanced Primate"
><primate@primate.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there an accepted benchmark for HL2? Google doesn't seem to say so. I
>>just replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with ATI x800XL and the difference at least to
>>my eyes is awesome. Frame rates in Doom 3 are almost doubled.
>
>What CPU are you running? I'm currently getting <38fps timedemo in
>Doom3 with shadows off, that's with an Athlon 64 3200 + 9800 Pro @
>1024x768.
>Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was hoping for a better doom3
>performance from this new rig.....

HL2:
1024x768 everything maxxed out 88.2 FPS

Doom 3:
1024x768 "High" quality, no AA - 45.1 FPS

Athlon XP Barton 2500+
1gig 2700 RAM in Dual Channel mode
BFG 6600GT

(virtually no difference with the the 2500@3200, 91 & 46 FPS)

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!