No HDs are recognized

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 12, 2005 2:35:53 AM

Hi,

I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I
rebooted my computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard
clock was reset.

The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2 to go
into the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown.
My CD-ROM drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried
to setup the new hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)

The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the master
was connected), but that didn't help either...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Firona

More about : hds recognized

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 12, 2005 3:26:08 AM

May be the motherboard was corrupt.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 12, 2005 11:30:04 AM

Firona Mouse <spam@spam.spam> wrote in message

> I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I rebooted my
> computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard clock was reset.

That clock reset looks like you broke something.

> The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2 to go into
> the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown. My CD-ROM
> drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried to setup the new
> hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)

> The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the master was
> connected), but that didn't help either...

Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that.

Do the drives actually spin up now ?

> Can anyone help me?
a b G Storage
May 12, 2005 12:07:34 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did try to change the ribbon cable after I
noticed that a little part was missing from the original one - but still
nothing was recognized.

Thanks,
Firona

Rod Speed wrote:
> Firona Mouse <spam@spam.spam> wrote in message
>

>>I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I rebooted my
>>computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard clock was reset.
>

> That clock reset looks like you broke something.
>

>>The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2 to go into
>>the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown. My CD-ROM
>>drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried to setup the new
>>hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)
>

>>The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the master was
>>connected), but that didn't help either...
>

> Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that.
>
> Do the drives actually spin up now ?
>

>>Can anyone help me?

May 12, 2005 1:21:52 PM

<wemaole@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> May be the motherboard was corrupt.

Yes, try offering it a bribe.

--
Joep
Anonymous

> Thanks for your reply. I did try to change the ribbon cable after I noticed
> that a little part was missing from the original one - but still nothing was
> recognized.

Do the drives actually spin up ?

If they do, try resetting the cmos.

The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

> Rod Speed wrote:
>> Firona Mouse <spam@spam.spam> wrote in message
>>

>>>I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I rebooted my
>>>computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard clock was reset.
>>

>> That clock reset looks like you broke something.
>>

>>>The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2 to go into
>>>the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown. My CD-ROM
>>>drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried to setup the new
>>>hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)
>>

>>>The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the master was
>>>connected), but that didn't help either...
>>

>> Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that.
>>
>> Do the drives actually spin up now ?
>>

>>>Can anyone help me?

May 13, 2005 8:50:57 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:50:56 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
>is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
>ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?

Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 8:50:57 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ehmsiF35vgaU1
@individual.net:

> The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
> is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
> ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

Bullshit.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 8:50:58 AM

spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote in news:4283ccce.3924142@news-
server.houston.rr.com:

> How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?

For CR3032 Li-ion cells, which most mobos use, the lifetime is
usually longer than 10 years. Obviously a defective or abused cell
may run out earlier, but that is very unusual.

> Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

The cell has a nominal output of 3.0v. New cells exceed that by a
smidgeon. A reading of less than 2.8 indicates it's on its way out.

The external indication is that CMOS resets to factory defaults
after being switched off for a while. That includes the system
clock which will typically go back several years.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 8:50:58 AM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ei8omF2nhhuU1
@individual.net:

> Kinell <w@invalid.jp> wrote in message
>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>
>>> The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
>>> is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
>>> ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.
>
>> Bullshit.

<bullshit pasted response flushed where it belongs>

Rod, Anyone with a clue knows that a major failure candidate for
loss of system time and BIOS settings is the CMOS memory backup
cell. It took Bob's post to remind you, bullshitter.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 8:50:59 AM

> spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote in news:4283ccce.3924142@news-
> server.houston.rr.com:
>
> > How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?
> >
> For CR3032 Li-ion cells, which most mobos use, the lifetime is
> usually longer than 10 years. Obviously a defective or abused cell
> may run out earlier, but that is very unusual.
>
> > Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?
> >
> The cell has a nominal output of 3.0v. New cells exceed that by a
> smidgeon. A reading of less than 2.8 indicates it's on its way out.
>
> The external indication is that CMOS resets to factory defaults
> after being switched off for a while. That includes the system
> clock which will typically go back several years.

ATX systems with any chipset after 430TX run the RTC from 5VSB, so the
battery does not drain during soft-off. Unplug for an hour to see if the
battery is failing.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 12:11:35 PM

Bob <spam@spamcop.com> wrote in message
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
>> is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
>> ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

> How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?

Months/years.

> Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

Yeah, you lose the system time when the system is turned off overnight.

That usually happens before the system starts
complaining about cmos checksum errors at boot time.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 12:11:36 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ei2kqF38ucmU1
@individual.net:

> That usually happens before the system starts
> complaining about cmos checksum errors at boot time.

More bullshit.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 1:54:46 PM

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

>> Yeah, you lose the system time when the system is turned off overnight.

>> That usually happens before the system starts
>> complaining about cmos checksum errors at boot time.

> More bullshit.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you've never had a clue.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 13, 2005 10:17:03 PM

Hi,

after I took out the battery and waited a few hours before putting it
back in, the system is working again!

Thanks everyone for your help!
Firona

Eric Gisin schrieb:
> "Kinell" <w@invalid.jp> wrote in message
>
>>spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote in news:4283ccce.3924142@news-
>>server.houston.rr.com:
>>

>>>How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?
>>>

>>For CR3032 Li-ion cells, which most mobos use, the lifetime is
>>usually longer than 10 years. Obviously a defective or abused cell
>>may run out earlier, but that is very unusual.
>>

>>>Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?
>>>

>>The cell has a nominal output of 3.0v. New cells exceed that by a
>>smidgeon. A reading of less than 2.8 indicates it's on its way out.
>>
>>The external indication is that CMOS resets to factory defaults
>>after being switched off for a while. That includes the system
>>clock which will typically go back several years.
>

> ATX systems with any chipset after 430TX run the RTC from 5VSB, so the
> battery does not drain during soft-off. Unplug for an hour to see if the
> battery is failing.

May 14, 2005 12:54:57 AM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:58:02 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>AND its now clear that resetting the cmos fixed the problem.

Does removing battery power have the same effect as restoring the
Default settings in the BIOS user interface?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 14, 2005 11:41:51 AM

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> AND its now clear that resetting the cmos fixed the problem.

> Does removing battery power have the same effect as
> restoring the Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

It does when the previous symptom was loss of system time.
May 14, 2005 11:41:52 AM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:41:51 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> Does removing battery power have the same effect as
>> restoring the Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

>It does when the previous symptom was loss of system time.

The reason I ask is that's one of the things I did to my flaked out
machine the other day. It did not cure the problem immediately, but
when I cleaned it and let it cool off, it began working again.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 14, 2005 2:04:42 PM

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Does removing battery power have the same effect as
>>> restoring the Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

>> It does when the previous symptom was loss of system time.

> The reason I ask is that's one of the things
> I did to my flaked out machine the other day.

OK, the short story is that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesnt.

It doesnt with the data thats written to the flashrom bios.

Thats a more common location for the data now
with vastly more variables that need to be stored
and so dont get stored in the cmos anymore.

Most modern systems store even stuff as basic as the last seen
keyboard type connected in the ECD and update that at boot time.

> It did not cure the problem immediately, but when
> I cleaned it and let it cool off, it began working again.

Yeah, looks like a dying motherboard.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 16, 2005 9:40:37 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ekblsF3jqboU1
@individual.net:

Which is why you responded with:

"That clock reset looks like you broke something."

"Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that."

.... and didn't mention BIOS reset or BIOS battery as potential
solutions.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 17, 2005 8:39:50 AM

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

> Which is why you responded with:

> "That clock reset looks like you broke something."

> "Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that."

> ... and didn't mention BIOS reset or BIOS battery as potential solutions.

Lie, I said just that.

Even you should be able to bullshit your way out of your
predicament better than that pathetic effort, child.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 17, 2005 8:39:51 AM

"Rod 'Bullshitter' Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Lie, I said just that.

Your response - the 1st reply to the OP, quoted below - does NOT
say that, does it? Which makes you the liar.

Wanna try wriggling again?

(quote)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: No HDs are recognized