No HDs are recognized

Hi,

I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I
rebooted my computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard
clock was reset.

The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2 to go
into the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown.
My CD-ROM drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried
to setup the new hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)

The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the master
was connected), but that didn't help either...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Firona
21 answers Last reply
More about recognized

    May be the motherboard was corrupt.

    Firona Mouse <spam@spam.spam> wrote in message

    > I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I rebooted my
    > computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard clock was reset.

    That clock reset looks like you broke something.

    > The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2 to go into
    > the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown. My CD-ROM
    > drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried to setup the new
    > hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)

    > The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the master was
    > connected), but that didn't help either...

    Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that.

    Do the drives actually spin up now ?

    > Can anyone help me?

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply. I did try to change the ribbon cable after I
    noticed that a little part was missing from the original one - but still
    nothing was recognized.

    Thanks,
    Firona

    <wemaole@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > May be the motherboard was corrupt.

    Yes, try offering it a bribe.

    --
    Joep

    > Thanks for your reply. I did try to change the ribbon cable after I noticed
    > that a little part was missing from the original one - but still nothing was
    > recognized.

    Do the drives actually spin up ?

    If they do, try resetting the cmos.

    The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
    is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
    ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 04:50:56 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
    >is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
    >ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

    How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?

    Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ehmsiF35vgaU1
    @individual.net:

    > The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
    > is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
    > ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

    Bullshit.

    spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote in news:4283ccce.3924142@news-
    server.houston.rr.com:

    > How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?

    For CR3032 Li-ion cells, which most mobos use, the lifetime is
    usually longer than 10 years. Obviously a defective or abused cell
    may run out earlier, but that is very unusual.

    > Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

    The cell has a nominal output of 3.0v. New cells exceed that by a
    smidgeon. A reading of less than 2.8 indicates it's on its way out.

    The external indication is that CMOS resets to factory defaults
    after being switched off for a while. That includes the system
    clock which will typically go back several years.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ei8omF2nhhuU1
    @individual.net:

    > Kinell <w@invalid.jp> wrote in message
    >> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >
    >>> The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
    >>> is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
    >>> ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.
    >
    >> Bullshit.

    <bullshit pasted response flushed where it belongs>

    Rod, Anyone with a clue knows that a major failure candidate for
    loss of system time and BIOS settings is the CMOS memory backup
    cell. It took Bob's post to remind you, bullshitter.

    > spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote in news:4283ccce.3924142@news-
    > server.houston.rr.com:
    >
    > > How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?
    > >
    > For CR3032 Li-ion cells, which most mobos use, the lifetime is
    > usually longer than 10 years. Obviously a defective or abused cell
    > may run out earlier, but that is very unusual.
    >
    > > Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?
    > >
    > The cell has a nominal output of 3.0v. New cells exceed that by a
    > smidgeon. A reading of less than 2.8 indicates it's on its way out.
    >
    > The external indication is that CMOS resets to factory defaults
    > after being switched off for a while. That includes the system
    > clock which will typically go back several years.

    ATX systems with any chipset after 430TX run the RTC from 5VSB, so the
    battery does not drain during soft-off. Unplug for an hour to see if the
    battery is failing.

    Bob <spam@spamcop.com> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >> The loss of motherboard system time is a real worry, that
    >> is usually only seen with a major power glitch or some rather
    >> ham fisted physical changes which manage to reset the cmos.

    > How long can you expect the battery to do the backup properly?

    Months/years.

    > Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

    Yeah, you lose the system time when the system is turned off overnight.

    That usually happens before the system starts
    complaining about cmos checksum errors at boot time.

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ei2kqF38ucmU1
    @individual.net:

    > That usually happens before the system starts
    > complaining about cmos checksum errors at boot time.

    More bullshit.

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Is there some kind of warning that the battery is flaking out?

    >> Yeah, you lose the system time when the system is turned off overnight.

    >> That usually happens before the system starts
    >> complaining about cmos checksum errors at boot time.

    > More bullshit.

    Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you've never had a clue.

    Hi,

    after I took out the battery and waited a few hours before putting it
    back in, the system is working again!

    Thanks everyone for your help!
    Firona

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 04:58:02 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >AND its now clear that resetting the cmos fixed the problem.

    Does removing battery power have the same effect as restoring the
    Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >> AND its now clear that resetting the cmos fixed the problem.

    > Does removing battery power have the same effect as
    > restoring the Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

    It does when the previous symptom was loss of system time.

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:41:51 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >> Does removing battery power have the same effect as
    >> restoring the Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

    >It does when the previous symptom was loss of system time.

    The reason I ask is that's one of the things I did to my flaked out
    machine the other day. It did not cure the problem immediately, but
    when I cleaned it and let it cool off, it began working again.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Does removing battery power have the same effect as
    >>> restoring the Default settings in the BIOS user interface?

    >> It does when the previous symptom was loss of system time.

    > The reason I ask is that's one of the things
    > I did to my flaked out machine the other day.

    OK, the short story is that sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesnt.

    It doesnt with the data thats written to the flashrom bios.

    Thats a more common location for the data now
    with vastly more variables that need to be stored
    and so dont get stored in the cmos anymore.

    Most modern systems store even stuff as basic as the last seen
    keyboard type connected in the ECD and update that at boot time.

    > It did not cure the problem immediately, but when
    > I cleaned it and let it cool off, it began working again.

    Yeah, looks like a dying motherboard.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3ekblsF3jqboU1
    @individual.net:

    Which is why you responded with:

    "That clock reset looks like you broke something."

    "Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that."

    .... and didn't mention BIOS reset or BIOS battery as potential
    solutions.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    > Which is why you responded with:

    > "That clock reset looks like you broke something."

    > "Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that."

    > ... and didn't mention BIOS reset or BIOS battery as potential solutions.

    Lie, I said just that.

    Even you should be able to bullshit your way out of your
    predicament better than that pathetic effort, child.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod 'Bullshitter' Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > Lie, I said just that.

    Your response - the 1st reply to the OP, quoted below - does NOT
    say that, does it? Which makes you the liar.

    Wanna try wriggling again?

    (quote)
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
    Subject: Re: No HDs are recognized
    From: "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:30:04 +1000

    Firona Mouse <spam@spam.spam> wrote in message

    > I just installed a second hard drive (setup as slave), but when I
    rebooted my
    > computer no hard drive was recognized and the motherboard clock
    was reset.

    That clock reset looks like you broke something.

    > The computer asked me whether I wanted to hit F1 to reboot or F2
    to go into
    > the setup. I went into the setup and neither hard disk was shown.
    My CD-ROM
    > drive and floppy are fine - but no hard disks. (I even tried to
    setup the new
    > hard disk as master, but it also wasn't recognized.)

    > The last thing I tried was plugging the cables back (so only the
    master was
    > connected), but that didn't help either...

    Try another ribbon cable, you may well have broken that.

    Do the drives actually spin up now ?

    > Can anyone help me?

Computer Hard Drives Storage