Strange DVD burner problem

October 3, 2004 6:13:32 AM

I've just tried to burn my first DVD on a SONY Vaio RX672 - this drive
has worked fine for playing DVDs and CDs as well as recording CDs in
the past. Today, I inserted a blank DVD-R to record from Adobe
Premier (while Premeier was running - at the time Premier saw the
drive and "no media inserted". After inserting the disc, I hit
"RESCAN" to have Premier find the disc. Premier then said "NO BURNER
DETECTED". From that point on, I cannot get Premier to detect the
drive, XP now shows the drive as "REMOVABLE MEDIA" and I cannot open
the door to remove the disc (the eject button does not work nor does
the MY COMPUTER EJECT command).

At this point, I'm not even sure how to remove the disc to get the
drive back. Anyone out there seen anything like this? Any and all
suggestions on how to remove the disc (short of power-down and
physically remove the drive) and / or how to get XP to recognize the
drive will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:19:32 AM

ok DVD-R is the old type of disk, you need to make sure your drive supports
it, try to use DVD+R discs, they are a newer technology, and more reliable
"BLG" <benniegibson@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I've just tried to burn my first DVD on a SONY Vaio RX672 - this drive
> has worked fine for playing DVDs and CDs as well as recording CDs in
> the past. Today, I inserted a blank DVD-R to record from Adobe
> Premier (while Premeier was running - at the time Premier saw the
> drive and "no media inserted". After inserting the disc, I hit
> "RESCAN" to have Premier find the disc. Premier then said "NO BURNER
> DETECTED". From that point on, I cannot get Premier to detect the
> drive, XP now shows the drive as "REMOVABLE MEDIA" and I cannot open
> the door to remove the disc (the eject button does not work nor does
> the MY COMPUTER EJECT command).
>
> At this point, I'm not even sure how to remove the disc to get the
> drive back. Anyone out there seen anything like this? Any and all
> suggestions on how to remove the disc (short of power-down and
> physically remove the drive) and / or how to get XP to recognize the
> drive will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
October 4, 2004 4:37:59 AM

As for ejecting the disk, do you see a small hole on the front panel of the
disk? Insert a paper clip in there and press gently. This should force eject
the tray.

See this: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000214.htm

--
Rehan