SATA with IDE drive (yes again! )

I have seen a number of threads on this but I am still having a
problem. I am starting with a new system. I installed a SATA drive and
an IDE drive(it's only temporary). I installed windows on the sata
drive. When the system starts up it can't find a boot drives and gives
that great message "hit any key". I can reboot the system and during
the bios start up manually select the sata and the system starts fine.
Also, if I remove the IDE the system will boot fine. So... what's the
deal????

I have a Asus P4P800 motherboard.

thanks for your help

john

peter

> I have seen a number of threads on this but I am still having a
> problem. I am starting with a new system. I installed a SATA drive and
> an IDE drive(it's only temporary). I installed windows on the sata
> drive. When the system starts up it can't find a boot drives and gives
> that great message "hit any key". I can reboot the system and during
> the bios start up manually select the sata and the system starts fine.
> Also, if I remove the IDE the system will boot fine. So... what's the
> deal????
>
> I have a Asus P4P800 motherboard.

What is your "Boot Device Priority" on 4.6.3 of Asus P4P800 manual?

Windows setup ignores the boot order, and installed ntldr on your ATA drive.
Copy the boot files over to the SATA drive.

Previously coltrane <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have seen a number of threads on this but I am still having a
> problem. I am starting with a new system. I installed a SATA drive and
> an IDE drive(it's only temporary). I installed windows on the sata
> drive. When the system starts up it can't find a boot drives and gives
> that great message "hit any key". I can reboot the system and during
> the bios start up manually select the sata and the system starts fine.
> Also, if I remove the IDE the system will boot fine. So... what's the
> deal????

> I have a Asus P4P800 motherboard.

> thanks for your help

Maybe you can chenge the boot-order permanently in the BIOS to
allways boot from SATA first? SATA might show up as "SCSI" or
something else.

Arno

coltrane <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have seen a number of threads on this but I am still having a
> problem. I am starting with a new system. I installed a SATA drive and
> an IDE drive(it's only temporary). I installed windows on the sata
> drive. When the system starts up it can't find a boot drives and gives
> that great message "hit any key". I can reboot the system and during
> the bios start up manually select the sata and the system starts fine.
> Also, if I remove the IDE the system will boot fine. So... what's the deal????

> I have a Asus P4P800 motherboard.

You running the latest bios flash for the motherboard ?

That sounds like a wart in the bios.

"coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1115938144.892471.82080@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> I have seen a number of threads on this but I am still having a
> problem. I am starting with a new system. I installed a SATA drive and
> an IDE drive(it's only temporary). I installed windows on the sata
> drive. When the system starts up it can't find a boot drives and gives
> that great message "hit any key". I can reboot the system and during
> the bios start up manually select the sata and the system starts fine.

You have a primary partition on the IDE drive?

> Also, if I remove the IDE the system will boot fine.

(You can also disable the IDE in BIOS for the same effect).

> So... what's the deal????

The bios assumes the IDE bootable in that case and stops
looking for the SATA. Change the bootorder to SATA first.
Or disable the IDE in Bios Setup or change the partition setup on the IDE.

> I have a Asus P4P800 motherboard.
>
> thanks for your help
>
> john

I thought that might be the case. I deleted the partions on the ATA
drive and I still get this problem.

thanks

There is a scsi cd rom which is already a choice. The sata
unfortunately is not

thanks

I give it a look and get back to you.

thanks for the pointer
john

Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:d61bfn018b1@enews4.newsguy.com...

> Windows setup ignores the boot order, and installed ntldr on your ATA drive.

Doesnt explain why it boots fine with no IDE drive.

> Copy the boot files over to the SATA drive.

> coltrane <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote

>> I have seen a number of threads on this but I am still having a
>> problem. I am starting with a new system. I installed a SATA drive and
>> an IDE drive(it's only temporary). I installed windows on the sata
>> drive. When the system starts up it can't find a boot drives and gives
>> that great message "hit any key". I can reboot the system and during
>> the bios start up manually select the sata and the system starts fine.
>> Also, if I remove the IDE the system will boot fine. So... what's the
>> deal????

>> I have a Asus P4P800 motherboard.

Peter,

thanks. My problem was, if you already didn't guess, was that there are
2 tabs for the boot priority. There is Boot device priority and hard
disk boot priority. In the boot device priority it only showed one hard
drive, which was the ide, the scsi, and the floppy. it didn't show the
sata. But when I went into the hard drive priority it showed the 2 hard
drives, the ide and the sata. I moved the sata to the top and when I
went back to the device piority list the sata showed up and not the
ide.

Thanks for the help

john

coltrane wrote:

> There is a scsi cd rom which is already a choice. The sata
> unfortunately is not

You have both SCSI and SATA boards in your machine? And you want it to boot
from the SATA? Try moving them around--in that configuration if the
machine does not explicitly make a provision to boot from a specific SCSI
device it generally goes to the one on the highest-priority interrupt,
which you want to be the SATA.

One more blessing from the folks who brought you plug and pray with no
manual override--the only way to resolve problems like this is often to
play musical boards.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Thanks,

I didn't go through all the settings to find this.

thanks again

john

Previously J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
> coltrane wrote:

>> There is a scsi cd rom which is already a choice. The sata
>> unfortunately is not

> You have both SCSI and SATA boards in your machine? And you want it to boot
> from the SATA? Try moving them around--in that configuration if the
> machine does not explicitly make a provision to boot from a specific SCSI
> device it generally goes to the one on the highest-priority interrupt,
> which you want to be the SATA.

I still find this fascinating. Forcing users to unserstand something
very complicated and technical in order to do something very
simple, namely choosing the boot device. And even with the technical
knowledge it is _still_ trial and error....

> One more blessing from the folks who brought you plug and pray with no
> manual override--the only way to resolve problems like this is often to
> play musical boards.

Indeed.

Arno

Arno Wagner wrote:

> Previously J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>> coltrane wrote:
>
>>> There is a scsi cd rom which is already a choice. The sata
>>> unfortunately is not
>
>> You have both SCSI and SATA boards in your machine? And you want it to
>> boot
>> from the SATA? Try moving them around--in that configuration if the
>> machine does not explicitly make a provision to boot from a specific SCSI
>> device it generally goes to the one on the highest-priority interrupt,
>> which you want to be the SATA.
>
> I still find this fascinating. Forcing users to unserstand something
> very complicated and technical in order to do something very
> simple, namely choosing the boot device. And even with the technical
> knowledge it is _still_ trial and error....
>
>> One more blessing from the folks who brought you plug and pray with no
>> manual override--the only way to resolve problems like this is often to
>> play musical boards.
>
> Indeed.

The sad part is that the intent was to make the machines easier to set up.