Hello forum,
I needed to select 256 colors and had some difficulty.
I selected via: Display properties > Settings Tab >Advanced Button >Adapter
tab>List all Modes Button (I was doing this, not to start a game, but
because I read that Sun Java will crash IE in certain instances unless 256
colors is being used, so I couldn't go the compatability route.)
When I choose the appropriate mode ( 1280 by 800, 256 colors, 60Hertz) and
then click apply, the color quality (as shown in Display Properties>Settings
tab) reverts to Low (8bit) and the screen looks all wonky.
I did download the latest driver to my video card -nVidia G-Force FX Go5200,
but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Why is this?
How can I use 256 colors? (Although, the initial Java problem seems cleared
up, one question always brings up 1000 more...)
Thanks!

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

8 bit is 256 colors.

Sun Java requires atleast 256 color mode (8 bits). it only crashes if you
select a color depth less than 256.

1 bit = 1 color
2 bits = 4 colors
4 bits = 16 colors
8 bits = 256 colors
16 bits = 65536 colors
24 bits = 16 Million colors

You should be using 16 or 24 or 32 bit mode.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

"operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello forum,
> I needed to select 256 colors and had some difficulty.
> I selected via: Display properties > Settings Tab >Advanced Button
> >Adapter
> tab>List all Modes Button (I was doing this, not to start a game, but
> because I read that Sun Java will crash IE in certain instances unless 256
> colors is being used, so I couldn't go the compatability route.)
> When I choose the appropriate mode ( 1280 by 800, 256 colors, 60Hertz) and
> then click apply, the color quality (as shown in Display
> Properties>Settings
> tab) reverts to Low (8bit) and the screen looks all wonky.
> I did download the latest driver to my video card -nVidia G-Force FX
> Go5200,
> but it didn't seem to make a difference.
> Why is this?
> How can I use 256 colors? (Although, the initial Java problem seems
> cleared
> up, one question always brings up 1000 more...)
> Thanks!

Heh - duh. Thanks. I feel a bit silly...

Tienes que bajar los controladores de tu Modelo de Tarjeta de video. Si no
los puedes bajar.... del fabricante entra a www.driverguide.com y ahi seguro
que los podras bajar.

Saludos.!

"operaflute" wrote:

> Hello forum,
> I needed to select 256 colors and had some difficulty.
> I selected via: Display properties > Settings Tab >Advanced Button >Adapter
> tab>List all Modes Button (I was doing this, not to start a game, but
> because I read that Sun Java will crash IE in certain instances unless 256
> colors is being used, so I couldn't go the compatability route.)
> When I choose the appropriate mode ( 1280 by 800, 256 colors, 60Hertz) and
> then click apply, the color quality (as shown in Display Properties>Settings
> tab) reverts to Low (8bit) and the screen looks all wonky.
> I did download the latest driver to my video card -nVidia G-Force FX Go5200,
> but it didn't seem to make a difference.
> Why is this?
> How can I use 256 colors? (Although, the initial Java problem seems cleared
> up, one question always brings up 1000 more...)
> Thanks!

Geese thanks. I've just spent half a day trying to get my "True Color" back.
Why couldn't MS have made this clear to us?