Sony DCR-TRV255E: How do I get movie onto PC?

I am trying to get movie from Sony Handycam onto PC to ultimately create a
DVD or at the very least a VCD. Using Movie Maker i can only save as .wmv,
and using nero I get 5 mins of audio, but pictures are compressed into a
10sec clip! Using the Sony software is useless as it either drops frames or
is really bad quality! Any one figured this out? Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about sony trv255e movie

    If this camcorder has a DV-out port (must do as all do these days); then buy
    a firewire card and cable if you dont have these already. Use these to
    capture video in Movie Maker in DV AVI format. Edit in Movie Maker and save
    again as DV AVI file. The setting to save in DV AVI is somewhat hidden: When
    saving movie through the wizard, select "show more choices" in the Movie
    Settings dialog found unde the "Best choice for my computer (recommended)".
    This should now show a lot more choices. Select DV AVI from the drop down
    box.

    Use the saved DV AVI file to make your DVD using a DVD Authoring package
    such as MyDVD / Nero Showtime etc. If your authoring package does not
    support DV AVI files then you need to use a MPEG2 encoder such as TMPGenc to
    encode the file to MPEG2 format.

    Also see http://rehanfx.org/faq.htm

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

    "KatMoss79" <KatMoss79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to get movie from Sony Handycam onto PC to ultimately create a
    > DVD or at the very least a VCD. Using Movie Maker i can only save as .wmv,
    > and using nero I get 5 mins of audio, but pictures are compressed into a
    > 10sec clip! Using the Sony software is useless as it either drops frames
    > or
    > is really bad quality! Any one figured this out? Any help much
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks

Video Sony Movies Windows XP