Coolpix 8800 vs. Dimage A2

Background: "Prosumer", need to upgrade from Olympus C3040, great
camera for its time, but now inadequate, also failing mechanically. the
Olynpus C8080 would be fine except for its limited zoom and lack of
image stabilization. Do not want dSLR (Canon Rebel, etc), because of
size, extra lenses needed, cost.

Want (in order of priority) 7+ megapixel; 8x or better optical zoom
WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION; can print to Pictbridge without tweaking
(don't have time), excellent 8 x 10 prints (have Canon 9900 printer,
upgrading to Canon Pixma 8500);fast startup time from off or "sleep;"
excellent ergonomics (sony F828 excluded as choice for this reason,
amont others) ; compact, relatively lightweight; durable, balanced
(don't use tripod); able to be used by whole family (spouse, teenagers)
so usually will be set at auto everything; good QC (do not have time to
return defective cameras (e.g., some early Dimage A2 units); printed
manual (but detailed .pdf mariginally OK). No allegiance to particular
manufacturer, but has to have good reputation for after-sales support
if needed. Not sure about manual vs. powered zoom yet. Would like USB
2.0 or Firewire. Cost no more than $1000 online. Plan to keetp 4-5
years.

Don't care about shooting movies, rapid sequential shots; battery cost
and life of battery; software from manufacturer; menu systems (I can
figure them out, am computer "geek."; any major manufacturer OK.

Done homework online for much too long read every major and minor dig
photo site and forum comments ad nausum. Tried Olympus 8700 today,
liked the feel of camera. Tired an Dimage A1, also liked feel. Two
cameras in title of message have not yet had formal reviews since newly
introduced last week. Need to buy by Nov 15 so unlikely price
reductions will happen by then, may not have reviews either to guide
me. Have plenty of CF cards. prefer over SD but no big deal.

In short, I want a point and shoot which the whole family can use which
will generate superb sharp high contrast prints on a a superb color
printer at 8 x 10 size without having to use Photoshop/Photoshop
Elements. But I also want a a camera I can tweak settings manually if I
so desire, i.e., want to to have cake and eat it too. Take about 800
photos monthly now; about 10% are worth saving and maybe 5% max worth
printing.

Please help me make a decision. Thanks.

ishan
No delivery signature required

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I went thru exactly the same as you, in the end it was down to image quality
and after down loading the same image taken by 4 different camera's which
were the Nikon 8700, Konica-Minolta, Sony 828 and the Canon Pro1 the Canon
beat them all hands downs with the colour and sharpness of the images. It's
fairly small, quite light and very well built. Obviously this is my personal
preference but since owning mine 2 of my friends have used it and both been
out and bought one as well.

Dave.