I'm a Ghost cloning virgin when it comes to XP

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 16, 2005 10:46:46 AM

Hi

I'm looking for Gotchas with Ghost and XP....

I'm an old hand at cloning Windows 2000/9X PC's with Ghost when I
buy a load of PC in for my company. It saves a lot of time having to
customize each PC the way I like it. As long as I change the SID each
time (ghstwalk) there are never any issues.

I am going to be buying 10 or so new Dell PC's, this time with Dell
OEM XP Pro on each machine. Well I'm an XP cloning virgin this time!

I'm wondering if I can get away with building one XP machine, and
cloning the others. Are there any gotchas (esp. when it comes to
activation keys etc)? Does anybody know any workarounds if this is the
case?

Cheers!

Alex

More about : ghost cloning virgin

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 17, 2005 12:08:23 AM

> I'm wondering if I can get away with building one XP machine, and
> cloning the others. Are there any gotchas (esp. when it comes to
> activation keys etc)? Does anybody know any workarounds if this is the
> case?

Alex,

I've been able to clone XP systems with no problems. One thing to keep
in mind while installing 3rd-party software (as you're probably aware
from your Win 2k experience) is that you'll usually want to install it
for "Everyone" and not just the current user. That way, not only can
you clone the OS, but the standard programs (probably Office, Antivirus,
internal company programs, etc.)

Ghost is a beautiful thing isn't she? I've been in a similar situation
where I was leading a migration of a whole office building from Win 9x
to Win 2k. Once you get that master image down... what a breeze! =]

//Kevin
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 17, 2005 4:50:45 PM

Kevin

Thanks!

Alex

Kevin Buffardi wrote:
> > I'm wondering if I can get away with building one XP machine, and
> > cloning the others. Are there any gotchas (esp. when it comes to
> > activation keys etc)? Does anybody know any workarounds if this is
the
> > case?
>
> Alex,
>
> I've been able to clone XP systems with no problems. One thing to
keep
> in mind while installing 3rd-party software (as you're probably aware

> from your Win 2k experience) is that you'll usually want to install
it
> for "Everyone" and not just the current user. That way, not only can

> you clone the OS, but the standard programs (probably Office,
Antivirus,
> internal company programs, etc.)
>
> Ghost is a beautiful thing isn't she? I've been in a similar
situation
> where I was leading a migration of a whole office building from Win
9x
> to Win 2k. Once you get that master image down... what a breeze! =]
>
> //Kevin
Related resources
May 28, 2005 12:18:16 AM

One thing - it made me move to acronis true image after this fine group
advised me

ghost 2003 at least doesnt like SATA - not sure about newer versions
which are infact powerquest drive image in disguise

google - norton ghost sata and be amazed

<postings@alexshirley.com> wrote in message
> Kevin
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alex
>

> Kevin Buffardi wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if I can get away with building one XP machine, and
> > > cloning the others. Are there any gotchas (esp. when it comes to
> > > activation keys etc)? Does anybody know any workarounds if this is
> the
> > > case?
> >
> > Alex,
> >
> > I've been able to clone XP systems with no problems. One thing to
> keep
> > in mind while installing 3rd-party software (as you're probably aware
>
> > from your Win 2k experience) is that you'll usually want to install
> it
> > for "Everyone" and not just the current user. That way, not only can
>
> > you clone the OS, but the standard programs (probably Office,
> Antivirus,
> > internal company programs, etc.)
> >
> > Ghost is a beautiful thing isn't she? I've been in a similar
> situation
> > where I was leading a migration of a whole office building from Win
> 9x
> > to Win 2k. Once you get that master image down... what a breeze! =]
> >
> > //Kevin

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 31, 2005 7:53:18 AM

The latest ghost works for me inc SATA hard disks, at least as far as
creating the image goes. Haven't attempted a restore yet. I had
problems with Ghost 2003 which forced me to do an upgrade to the latest
Ghost version. Acronis sounds interesting, I'll look into this.

Cheers

Alex
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 4, 2005 1:36:04 AM

Hehehehh, that subject sounds really funny!
Sounds like a Jerry Springer episode :)
!