Movie Maker Unknown Error

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone has encountered a similar problem and
will tell me how to resolve my own.

I have an Intel 3Ghz P4 running a clean install of
Windows XP. I've not put any other rubbish on this PC
because I built it for video capture and editing.

I've had a lot of bother in the past trying to get my
Canon MV450i Digital Camcorder to happily get along with
my other PC... but to no avail.

The problem I have is this...
I plug the camcorder in with the Firewire, and XP
recognises the exact make and model of the camcorder.
It then asks me what I would like to do, and I say Video
Capture with Movie Maker.

So, Movie Maker starts and I go through the Capture
Wizard up to the point where it asks you to pick either
an Automatic Capture, (the one that rewinds the tape and
then captures the whole thing), OR, a Manual Capture,
(where you rewind the tape to a particular start point).

If I pick the Auto option, the next screen says Rewinding
Tape, and I hear it rewind, BUT, whenever it reaches the
start of the tape and stops, then before it moves on to
Capture Video, I get the following...

In a familiar Windows error box with the red circle
and "X", titled Windows Movie Maker, the message
reads, "An unknown error has occured".

OK I thought, let's try the Manual option... :( No luck,
I get the same error.

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks,
Wil.

rehan

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004

> I have an Intel 3Ghz P4 running a clean install of
> Windows XP. I've not put any other rubbish on this PC
> because I built it for video capture and editing.

Not even Service packs ?

SP2 has a known issue with Canon MVs. It was discussed in the Movie maker
newsgroup.Search that newsgroup for a post from Kristen with subject "
PAL Capture using firewire"

If it exists on the news server here is the direct link:

Otherwise a general solution is to

Download and re-Install DirectX runtime
Download and install Windows Media Encoder.

These two should either fix your roblem or eliminate a few causes of the
problems.

You may like to see the www.papajohn.org site and particularly the
Acceleration and Codecs section to see if any resolution might suit you.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker