XP need more contiguous space in defrag

I need to free up more contiguous free space on my hard drive.
Diskeeper lite and windows XP defrag make the files contiguous, but
they don't compact the files and free up more contiguous free space.
Older versions of windows defrag would defragment the files and put
them together freeing up the end of the drive as one large contiguous
free space. I hope I am describing it correctly. I have several large
data files in the 2-9gig size and need to have them in one contiguous
space to increase my hard drive read speed. Although the standard
defrag programs defrag the files, they leave lots of odd sized and
sometimes small free space between files. Is there a program that can
compact the files and open free space.

Thanks Tom
4 answers Last reply
More about contiguous space defrag

    On 17 May 2005 13:27:00 -0700, "geo" <geoman39@excite.com> wrote:

    >Is there a program that can
    >compact the files and open free space.

    It's probably not what you want but I solved the same problem by
    copying the files to an empty hard disc. The copies were contiguous.

    http://www.easynn.com

    What I have done so far was to move the three large files to another
    drive, defrag, copy one file, defrag(it was now not fragmented), copy
    another file, defrag, and then the same with the last. There was not
    enough contiguous free space to defrag the last file, so I got two out
    of three. I could probably get a new drive, copy the entire drive
    using something like Maxblast for a maxtor drive and I think it would
    copy one file at a time and would therefore be contiguous. There must
    be a program out there that does what I want.

    Thanks for your help.
    Tom

    In article <1116598734.249525.148910@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    geo <geoman39@excite.com> wrote:
    >What I have done so far was to move the three large files to another
    >drive, defrag, copy one file, defrag(it was now not fragmented), copy
    >another file, defrag, and then the same with the last. There was not
    >enough contiguous free space to defrag the last file, so I got two out
    >of three. I could probably get a new drive, copy the entire drive
    >using something like Maxblast for a maxtor drive and I think it would
    >copy one file at a time and would therefore be contiguous. There must
    >be a program out there that does what I want.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >Tom

    Someone edited out the OP so this may already have been mentioned.

    I suggest downloading the eval version of Raxco Perfect disk and
    trying it. Much better than the default defrag in XP. I had problems
    defragging disks with vary large files (up to 50 GB) and the latest
    version of PD had a fix that solved the problem.

    (no relationship to Raxco other that being vsery happy with their
    products for many years.)
    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Defragment Free Space Windows XP Storage