Synchronising Notes

May 12, 2004 10:38:41 AM

I have an iPaq 3870 and I can't understand the business of synchronising
notes. I want the device to save notes to the 64Meg SD Card, so that I have
immunity from data loss, but if I select this option as the default on the
device, Outlook doesn't see this location when I sync; it just looks in the
main memory MyDocs folder and nowhere else.

Is this a limitation of the synching process? If I click on Notes on the
PDA, I see all those stored on the device, wherever they are stored, why
doesn't Activ Sync do this?

I bought the iPaq from a friend and I'm also confused about the filing
system inasmuch as it seems to be littered with MyDocs folders. I think that
he didn't understand the filing system and so I've inherited a rats maze.
However, I'm loathe to wipe clean because there's some useful stuff in
there, so i need some instruction on memory basics.

As I understand it, there are 2 locations for file storage - one is the main
memory, the other is the SD card. What I see in MyDevice is 'Storage Card'
and 'Storage Card 2'. What the heck is 'Storage Card 2'. It's always there,
and has its own MyDocuments folder. If it's a card, where is it? I can't
remove it, so why call it a card? If it is built-in, why is it designated
Card 2, surely it is the default backup? Is there a way to change this
arrangement, and is this related to my first query?

Or, Am I being incredibly thick??? -lol!

If anyone patient can advise this newbie, I'd be most grateful.

TIA
Pete

More about : synchronising notes

Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:10:17 AM

"PC" <pete.clayton@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I have an iPaq 3870 and I can't understand the business of synchronising
>notes. I want the device to save notes to the 64Meg SD Card, so that I have
>immunity from data loss, but if I select this option as the default on the
>device, Outlook doesn't see this location when I sync; it just looks in the
>main memory MyDocs folder and nowhere else.

Correct. It won't sync to memory cards.

>Is this a limitation of the synching process? If I click on Notes on the
>PDA, I see all those stored on the device, wherever they are stored, why
>doesn't Activ Sync do this?

No. Only RAM. Check out www.mydocsunlimited.com though for MightySync,
which works with AS and syncs to storage cards.

>I bought the iPaq from a friend and I'm also confused about the filing
>system inasmuch as it seems to be littered with MyDocs folders. I think that
>he didn't understand the filing system and so I've inherited a rats maze.
>However, I'm loathe to wipe clean because there's some useful stuff in
>there, so i need some instruction on memory basics.

There should be 1 My Documents folder in RAM and 1 in *each* storage
card/ROM file store.

>As I understand it, there are 2 locations for file storage - one is the main
>memory, the other is the SD card. What I see in MyDevice is 'Storage Card'
>and 'Storage Card 2'. What the heck is 'Storage Card 2'. It's always there,
>and has its own MyDocuments folder. If it's a card, where is it? I can't
>remove it, so why call it a card? If it is built-in, why is it designated
>Card 2, surely it is the default backup? Is there a way to change this
>arrangement, and is this related to my first query?

It may be the ROM file store. What is the device?

>Or, Am I being incredibly thick??? -lol!
>
>If anyone patient can advise this newbie, I'd be most grateful.

I'd save what is valuable on that device and do a hard reset to clean
up that rat's maze. You'll find it easier to learn the device when it
is in proper working order than trying to figure out how it is
supposed to be and undo what your friend did. :-)
May 13, 2004 11:18:00 AM

Thanks for the info Ed, things are much clearer.

By 'device', I'm not sure what you mean*. In File Explorer on the iPAQ, I
see 'My Device' and a listing of folders below in this order:

iPAQ File Store - this is represented by a plain folder carrying a card logo
(it contains just a Recycle bin at the moment)
My Documents
Program Files
Storage Card - this is the SD card and the icon is a plain folder with a
logo as for the iPAQ 'card' above
Storage Card2 - just a plain folder without a logo
Temp
Windows

and 3 files:
Two unassociated ones, 'CheckPOInt' (sic), and 'test', plus a third called
'mdmlog10' which appears to be a text file but that returns the message,
'Due to the size of the file, an access error was encountered while opening
the file.' I'm intrigued as to what this is.

I can't understand why removable storage takes a name that hierarchically
precedes what appears to be the built-in storage of 'Storage Card2'. Surely
the naming should be the other way around. I've tried renaming the storage
cards, but the system won't allow this.

*Viewing the iPAQ from my PC, I see 'Mobile Device', which contains the
following:

My Pocket PC
Annotations
Books
Business
My Documents (which is empty)
Personal
Templates

plus a scattering of files including some 'Notes' documents

My Pocket PC, includes a My Documents folder which, confusingly, also
includes a My Documents folder - lol!

Hard resetting is achieved by using the reset button on the base in
conjunction with the two outer buttons on the front panel? Will this wipe
all the software I have loaded? Is the aforesaid reset button, soft
resetting when used on its own? I have to use this before using my NAVMAN
sleeve.

TIA, I appreciate the time you're giving.

Regards,
Pete

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
May 13, 2004 11:18:01 AM

"PC" <pete.clayton@btinternet.com> wrote:

>By 'device', I'm not sure what you mean*.

What is the brand and model number of your Pocket PC. I gathered from
this post it is an iPAQ. Which one? That will help me understand the
file structure better.
May 13, 2004 11:14:49 PM

Ed,

It's an iPAQ 3870

______
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 10:53:34 AM

"PC" <pete.clayton@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Ed,
>
>It's an iPAQ 3870

Ok, I think that model has an "iPAQ File Store" which is a small ROM
storage space that acts as a storage card, but it should be called
"iPAQ File Store" and not Storage card. You need a \My Documents
folder in there.

If you have a Storage Card2 folder, it means you either have a sleeve
on the device that has a storage card, or you just need to soft reset.
I've seen storage cards get the "2" suffix if you eject and reinsert
them, but a soft reset always clears that up.

May 15, 2004 2:40:04 AM

Hi Ed,

Got it! Thanks for that help. I hadn't realised that the cards are 'clocked'
by the OS and named in the order that they were first discovered.

Complicating this is the fact that I do have a NAVMAN sleeve with a 256Meg
CF card. Because this expansion device has been installed, its memory
doesn't come and go according to whether the sleeve is fitted or not.

I suppose I'll get used to these quirks, in time - lol!

Thanks for your time and assistance, you're very kind.

!