Increasing wireless network number

Sachin

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi,

I have been having this problem for sometime.

Setup: D-Link DI-624 router
D-Link DWL-G650 Ver:C wireless adaptor
Windows XP Pro SP1 (and later SP2).

I setup a WPA-PSK TKIP encryption on my wirless components. Seemingly
arbitrarily, I would not be able to connect to the wireless network. I had to
hit 'Rescan' on the Dlink utility but that wouldn't help. So I uninstalled
and reinstalled the D-link driver and the AirPlus utility.
Whenever I did the above (reinstall), the name of my wireless network
connection changes. "Wireless Network Connection" -> "Wireless Network
Connection 2" -> "Wireless Network Connection 3" ....
I am currently at "Wireless Network Connectin 10" !!
At wireless network connection 7, my D-link utlility itself stopped working.
I double click on the utility-icon on the task bar and the icon closes
without opening up the utility! No more wireless for me :(
I called D-Link support and they said that some network stack or something
is corrupted and I need to reinstall the operating system!

Questions:
1. What's going on? When I uninstall and re-install the d-link utility and
driver why does my windows xppro remember that I had 'a wireless network
setup' before?
2. If some 'stack' is really corrupted, how can I clean it / get rid of it?
I hate to reinstall the OS for the sake of a wireless connection, which for
me is a little more than a convenience.

Notes:
This happened with SP1. I installed SP2 today and re-installed the D-link
utility and the odometer turned from "Wireless Network Connection 9" to #10
:(.

Thanks in advance
-Sachin

"sachin" <sachin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F42BB50F-7BBD-48DB-BF79-3C06A8E2F6EE@microsoft.com...
< snip >
> Questions:
> 1. What's going on? When I uninstall and re-install the d-link utility and
> driver why does my windows xppro remember that I had 'a wireless network
> setup' before?

This is, er.... a feature. If the adapter appears in device manager as working correctly,
just live with it. It should do no harm. Specifically, this alone should not cause the D-link utility to fail.

> 2. If some 'stack' is really corrupted, how can I clean it / get rid of it?

This is very hard to check out, and chances that something has been broken by SP2 or just
by itself are fat. There is too many badly written or tested software products that may get screwed.
Unless you're a "VIP" customer, they probably are unable to elevate your issue.

I'd suggest to ask D-Link support how to use the adapter wihout their utility, only with
wireless config GUI provided by XP itself.
Then uninstall all D-Link stuff, *reboot* and reinstall only the adapter driver - no other software.
Uncheck all suspicious stuff from the network connection properties of the adapter,
leave only tcp/ip and maybe Workstation - if you use MS network.
Then try to connect using the XP wireless GUI (setup your router in most simple way: no security, crypto, etc).
If this won't work, there is probably a driver problem.
If it *will* work, proceed with their utility.

Good luck,
--PA

Lance

sachin thought carefully and wrote on 9/1/2004 5:49 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I have been having this problem for sometime.
>
> Setup: D-Link DI-624 router
> D-Link DWL-G650 Ver:C wireless adaptor
> Windows XP Pro SP1 (and later SP2).
>
> I setup a WPA-PSK TKIP encryption on my wirless components. Seemingly
> arbitrarily, I would not be able to connect to the wireless network. I had to
> hit 'Rescan' on the Dlink utility but that wouldn't help. So I uninstalled
> and reinstalled the D-link driver and the AirPlus utility.
> Whenever I did the above (reinstall), the name of my wireless network
> connection changes. "Wireless Network Connection" -> "Wireless Network
> Connection 2" -> "Wireless Network Connection 3" ....
> I am currently at "Wireless Network Connectin 10" !!
> At wireless network connection 7, my D-link utlility itself stopped working.
> I double click on the utility-icon on the task bar and the icon closes
> without opening up the utility! No more wireless for me :(
> I called D-Link support and they said that some network stack or something
> is corrupted and I need to reinstall the operating system!
>
> Questions:
> 1. What's going on? When I uninstall and re-install the d-link utility and
> driver why does my windows xppro remember that I had 'a wireless network
> setup' before?
> 2. If some 'stack' is really corrupted, how can I clean it / get rid of it?
> I hate to reinstall the OS for the sake of a wireless connection, which for
> me is a little more than a convenience.

Reinstalling the operating system is pretty severe. If get to the point
where you are about to reinstall, try these KB articles first.

Follow the instructions exactly, no kidding. If you have changed any
settings in Network Properties, write them down. I use these tools when
I'm desparate. It works, but it usually breaks my Cisco VPN client
(which requires a uninstall/install to fix), so maybe you have some
software that may get broken too.

Lance
*****

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811259
How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811259&Product=winxp>

Follow the instructions under "How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption"
If the problem still exists, try this one:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 299357
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357&Product=winxp>

TRENDING THREADS