Video drivers

Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me. My daughter's gateway pc was sent
to them for repair (soundcard replaced) and they removed
the XP Home Ed. that was installed. I reinstalled the XP
however it will not load in normal mode only safe mode.
The error message reads: Atidvag.dll driver error. I
tried to download the drivers but it will not install in
safe mode.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheila
8 answers Last reply
More about video drivers

    I would be screaming at Gateway and asking them who authorized them to
    remove XP Home, You need to have them (re)fix your problem.

    Something else is wrong if you could not get XP to install in Normal mode.
    See Gateway or the BetterBusiness Bureau.

    "SMontanez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > Can someone help me. My daughter's gateway pc was sent
    > to them for repair (soundcard replaced) and they removed
    > the XP Home Ed. that was installed. I reinstalled the XP
    > however it will not load in normal mode only safe mode.
    > The error message reads: Atidvag.dll driver error. I
    > tried to download the drivers but it will not install in
    > safe mode.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sheila

    "SMontanez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > Can someone help me. My daughter's gateway pc was sent
    > to them for repair (soundcard replaced) and they removed
    > the XP Home Ed. that was installed. I reinstalled the XP
    > however it will not load in normal mode only safe mode.
    > The error message reads: Atidvag.dll driver error. I
    > tried to download the drivers but it will not install in
    > safe mode.
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    When you say that they removed XP Home, do you mean that the computer came
    back to you without an operating system, or that when you booted the
    system the splash screen said only "Windows XP" instead of "Windows XP
    Home?" If the latter, it simply meant that SP-2 had been installed, which
    removes the "Home" and "Professional" designations from the start-up
    splash screen. If the former, hand the computer back to Gateway and tell
    them they need to do the job properly this time.

    --
    Ian.

    software when I purchased the pc. They claimed they did
    not have the disk to re-install XP. I could send the pc
    back to them for another month or find a way to load
    atidvag.dll drivers in safe mode.

    Sheila

    If Gateway installed ME because it was the 'original' operating system then
    where did Home come from? Did you install it? If you did, then do it again.

    "Sheila" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

    Home came with the PC as upgrade. I install it and as I
    said Gateway when repairing re-install me. I have re-
    install Home and this is where the problem comes into
    play. When I rebooted the PC after installation the
    error message read: Atidvag device driver got stuck in
    an infinite loop. Check with vendor for drivers. Someone
    else suggested that I remove the graphics card from
    device manager and then restart in normal mode.

    I am thinking about restoring the PC to its original
    state with ME.

    Sheila

  6. I am also having a atidvag.dll issue on a Gateway 400VTX model with Windows XP (Home or Pro specification is of little consequence with video issues). I'd like to think I know what I'm doing. Reinstalling the drivers from the Gateway support website has not helped. Also, the issue is not mentioned in their support documents under the FAQ or other branches.

    I think my problem is directly related to XP auto installing the wrong video driver. (Which followed by loading the correct driver hasn't fixed.)

    I am going to try to reload the OS and load the correct driver before XP does.

    -Brad Chesney
    Northeast Ohio
  7. The Gateway 400VTX I'm working on using the ATI 6.13.1 driver on their support website BEFORE letting XP pick it's own driver seems to work. The previous driver that seemed to cause all the problems was version 6.14.something...

    Good luck.

    -Brad Chesney
    Northeast Ohio
  8. I'm looking at the Device Manager, no wonder the ATI stuff was making so much trouble. The video chip is manufactured by Intel...

    So until it is fixed, don't let XP pick the driver on your 400VTX...

Video Windows XP