Norton Ghost Question

jeff

Hi,

If one is using Norton Ghost, is the following possible:

1) Transferring ALL partitions ( 3 of them)on a hard drive to another hard
drive, or, can it only transfer 1 partition.

2) Backup question: When making a bootable backup of your "c" drive, every
so often when certain files change on "c", can you choose an option that
will allow you only to transfer changed files, so a ful ltransfer would not
be necessary, thereby ensuring the backup bootable drive contents are
current.

TIA,

Jeff

"jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If one is using Norton Ghost, is the following possible:
>
> 1) Transferring ALL partitions ( 3 of them)on a hard drive to another hard
> drive, or, can it only transfer 1 partition.
>
> 2) Backup question: When making a bootable backup of your "c" drive, every
> so often when certain files change on "c", can you choose an option that
> will allow you only to transfer changed files, so a ful ltransfer would not
> be necessary, thereby ensuring the backup bootable drive contents are
> current.

1) You can select which partition to transfer, copying one at a time.
You can put multiple bootable WinXP OSes on other drives
and you can use the boot.ini file in any bootable partition in the
the system to select which other bootable partition gets loaded
and run. You can use the hard drive boot priority list in the BIOS
to select which hard drive to go to to find the "active" partition
which contains a bootable system and its boot.ini file.

2) If you are asking if you can transfer single files manually, the answer
is Yes. The bootable backups (i.e. clones) will be seen as just
local disks by the booted system, and you can drag 'n drop files
from one "local disk" (i.e. partition) to another (which is what I do
on a regular basis.) For such manual operations, you don't need
the intervention of 3rd party copy utilities. The Windows OS will
do it.

If you are asking if incremental file backups can be done
automatically, I dunno.

*TimDaniels*

jeff

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message

> "jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If one is using Norton Ghost, is the following possible:
>>
>> 1) Transferring ALL partitions ( 3 of them)on a hard drive to another
>> hard
>> drive, or, can it only transfer 1 partition.
>>
>> 2) Backup question: When making a bootable backup of your "c" drive,
>> every
>> so often when certain files change on "c", can you choose an option that
>> will allow you only to transfer changed files, so a ful ltransfer would
>> not
>> be necessary, thereby ensuring the backup bootable drive contents are
>> current.
>

> 1) You can select which partition to transfer, copying one at a time.
> You can put multiple bootable WinXP OSes on other drives
> and you can use the boot.ini file in any bootable partition in
> the
> the system to select which other bootable partition gets loaded
> and run. You can use the hard drive boot priority list in the
> BIOS
> to select which hard drive to go to to find the "active"
> partition
> which contains a bootable system and its boot.ini file.
>
> 2) If you are asking if you can transfer single files manually, the
> answer
> is Yes. The bootable backups (i.e. clones) will be seen as just
> local disks by the booted system, and you can drag 'n drop files
> from one "local disk" (i.e. partition) to another (which is what
> I do
> on a regular basis.) For such manual operations, you don't need
> the intervention of 3rd party copy utilities. The Windows OS
> will
> do it.
>
> If you are asking if incremental file backups can be done
> automatically, I dunno.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Thank you..

yes i was asking about (at least now I know the term) incrememenatl backups
that will just transfer anything that has changed, and nothing else.

jeff